Plequenil and neuropathy

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello.

Hello. Is there anyone who take plequenil and suffers from neuropathy? Does the drug help you or make it worse? I take plequenil for a week and it seems like it make my neuropathy so bad and I read that plequenil can cause neuropathy.

I really don't know what to do

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello lia:i had been taking plaquenil for 12 years. it was fine for me but i think Hopkings researcher hospital are making new med amd they need volunters I want to be one because with menopausia i am getting worse.
    • Posted

So the plequenil helped you?

I really don't know what to do. It make my dryness better but also make my neuropathy so bad.

• Posted

the plaquenil was helping me for long time but no anymore.
    • Posted

BTW, I meant if it helped you with the neuropathy, not with the dryness or something like that
  • Posted

I have been offered scripts from rheumatologists. Im afraid to take it because of the side effects. My sister had to stop taking because she had terrible headaches and went through it for a month. Suffered too long. They are many many others who swear its the best. Asvfar as neuropothy I will check around and see if the few people whonhave neuropothy and take it are having anybissues. Sorry you are going through this. I will get back to you.

God bless you

kristyk

• Posted

I have been offered scripts from rheumatologists. Im afraid to take it because of the side effects. My sister had to stop taking because she had terrible headaches and went through it for a month. Suffered too long. They are many many others who swear its the best. Asvfar as neuropothy I will check around and see if the few people whonhave neuropothy and take it are having anybissues. Sorry you are going through this. I will get back to you.

God bless you

kristyk

• Posted

Hi Lia

In the USA, yes plaquenil has a potential to exacerbate neuropathy. Perhaps you will discuss this with your physician as well as the possibility of stopping the plaquenil to see if the neuropathy improves.

kind regards

judith

• Posted

I live in Israel, and my doctor told me that plequenil can cause neuropathy, but its rare. I stopped taking the drug for two weeks and was actually a slight improvement. A week ago I started taking it again - and again- worse symptoms..

The drug help me with the dryness, but my neuropathy so bad..

• Posted

Hi Lia

Israel, my dream is to visit your country..

Perhaps you will ask your physician is either Lyrica or Neurotin could be taken concurrently with the plaquenil.

Pilocarpine, Restatis, Biotene, NSAIDs are other alternatives that the US FDA have approved.

Treating your Sjogren's is dependent upon your symptoms.

I use Restatis and have had my lower tear ducts occluded and I wear glasses all to combat the dryness of my eye...I slather on Lubriderm ultra moisturizer wirhout drying off after showering in lukewarm water...

kind regards

• Posted

My doctor told me that I can take lurica and plequenil together but I don't want to take something that make my neuropathy so crazy .. am I wrong?

• Posted

Hi Lia

You need to treat the Sjogren's and you need to treat the neuropathy.

I think you are wise to ask questions...never stop asking questions.

Have you tried taking the Lyrica yet? I have Sjogren's and I also take Lyrica.

hugs

• Posted

Neuropathy cause tingling, pain, numbness, or weakness in the feet and hands
    • Posted

Hi Carmen

Neuropathy is nerve pain, typically peripheral nerve pain refers to nerve pain you feel in your legs and arms.

Your central nervous system is your brain and spinal cord

When a nerve is compressed (pinched, caught, mushed, etc.) the nerve protests the compression by tingling, going numb, burning, developing pins and needles, paralyzing movement loss.

The neuropathy can be a little uncomfortable to absolutely paralyzing.

kind regards

• Posted

Hi Lia ~

Have you told your doctor what is happening?  If not, I would suggest you call and at least tell his nurse what's going on and what should you do.  I've taken Plaquenil in the past but I was having severe problems from sarcoidosis and sjogrens...I took plaq with methotrexate so  I'm not of any help regarding neuropathy.  May I ask if yours is caused by Diabetes?  Just curious.  

I wish you well and hope you get this all taken care of and you're on your way to a healthy life.

Good luck,

Frustrated61

• Posted

No. Thank god I don't have diabetes. (BTW, I'm 24). It's all because of the sjogren

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.