Boon123

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have a very large Hi Hatus Hernia with cameron ulcers, the doctors want me to have an operation,but I dont have any indigestion problems and am worried that I may have problems after that I dont have now,but I do have anemia and have had problems with vomiting blood.Has any one had this problem I know not many people have this problem. 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Wel he whole thing sounded ok till you mentioned the blod. I would do a loof research and then t a nd opinion, these operations can ruin you iyou dont watch out or choose the right Dr
  • Posted

The cameron lesions are associated with large hiatus hernias. They bleed and can cause anaemia.

Treatment can be by acid suppressant medication allowing healing to take place but it soesn't tackle the root cause: the hiatus hernia.

Fundoplication surgery is used to repair a sliding hiatus hernia. It may sound scary but isn't really. I had it myself 8 years ago after resisting for 10 years and it was the best thing I ever did.

The operation is performed laparoscopically (keyhole surgery) . The stomach is pulled back from the thorax through the hiatus hole in the diaphragm into the abdomen where it belongs. The top (fundus) of the stomach is wrapped around the end of the oesophagus and stitched (plicated) which holds it in place to prevent reherniation.

• Posted

Thank you for replying to my letter,you said you had the same operation, were you having anemia and vomiting blood sometimes? Most people seem to have more trouble than me with pain and indigestion. I don't have that only the anemia and blood problem. Also people seem to have to go in again for a repair is that comon.?

• Posted

I was anaemic but not from bleeding oesophagitis. That had healed years ago with PPI treatment. My anaemia was due to induced hypochlorhydria. (Very high dose of PPI over a long period of time, reducing acid too much resulting in malabsorption of iron. )

I had to have my initial fundolication wrap repaired after it had loosened through 5 hours of violent retching due to norovirus.

A paper published 2 years ago followed up 200 patients who had had Laparoscopic Nissen Fundoplication 20 years previously.

"Long-term results from the early experience with LF are excellent with 94 % of patients reporting only occasional or fewer reflux symptoms at 20-year follow-up. However, 18 % required surgical revision surgery to maintain their results. There is a relatively high rate of daily dysphagia but 90 % of patients are happy to have had LF."

You will find the link to that study (and others) in the chapter on Fundoplication in the free book / website www DownWithAcid org uk

• Posted

Hi Boon

​I have not had bleeding problems with my HH but you might like to try slippery elm which coats the mucosal lining and helps the eroded area to heal. It comes in a powder usually from health food shops. Take one to two desertspoons in a smoothie. As far as I am aware it has no side effects. Avoid spiced foods and acidic foods such as vinegar. Lemon juice becomes non acidic once in the body so is a good alternative. If you have anemia eat dark green leafy vegetables (kale is especially good if you like it) with your meals and get lots of vitamin C from fresh fruit and salads to help it absorb better in your body. Hope this is of help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.