Fibroid/pco / kidney

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi

So my doctor sent me for an urgent scan two weeks ago and I had it today.

I have been suffering for a long time with what i thought were standsrd heavy periods and a soreness in my stomach after weeing.

I was told that I have a few fibroids. The biggest measuring 12cm which is pushing on my kidney tube (hence the pain!) and also the radiologist said I have pco... SHe also said I had quite large ovaries!

The woman today didn't say how many other fibroids there were as she was more concerned about the largest one. She said that it has grown over time.

I guess what I'm looking for is anyone that has had a similar experience? would they normally act fast now the fibroid is known to have been pushing on my kidney tube for some time? What kind of surgery could they perform? I'm 31 no kids.

Thanks smile

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

From what I understand if it's pressing on your kidney tube over time it can cause damage to kidney. I've read a lot about myectomy which if done by a dr that just does that a lot can save your uterus.

I just found this amazing doctor - dr Parker in Los Angeles and he specializes in this you should check out his website lots of good info on there

• Posted

I had 8 fibroids removed in London , University college hospital. Uterus intact + periods fine xxx
  • Posted

Ps. They won't necessarily act fast as such, you'll need to push them to explore options. Prior to surgery I had bladder pressure from the fibroids I wasn't necessarily rushed for treatment. Fibroids are considered non life threatening so you'll need to follow up persistently. X

• Posted

Hi,

That's great to know that your uterus was left in tack and you are now having ok periods. I put myself on depo provera to have some sort of relief and then I noticed the largest fibroid. After having such a relief I don't think I would be able to manage heavy periods again. So hopefully I can work with my gp and gynae to get it rectified.

How was your fibroid removal operation? how was your recovery?

Thank you for your earlier reply. It's reassuring to speak to other women who have gone through this experience x

• Posted

Hi Ted,

I too have a large fibroid although I'm not aware of it pressing on anything other than my bladder at the moment, so I can't give you advice on that.

Treatment can be a little more complex, depending on if you wish to keep your uterus intact. I've been told that myomectomy is my only real option however have been on a course of Esmya to try and shrink the fibroid to reduce the risk of a bleed during surgery. As I'm nowhere near menopause the treatment of such large fibroids is a little more complex unfortunately.

I imagine your treatment will also depend on the severity of damage the fibroid is/likely to cause to your kidney etc. There's not much research out there but do try to do some of your own and be prepared for your first gynae/consultant appointment. I agree with the other ladies that you need to push and ask questions as I've found that I was only offered one solution, however when pressed found there were a few other temporary options. It's all a bit of a grey area I'm afraid.

The treatment for fibroids really seems to vary person to person depending on age, size, location and symptoms. I'd start by searching for all of the treatment options for your own knowledge.

Hope you get some answers soon.

• Posted

Hi,

Thank you so much for your response. I wasn't able to get a clear answer from the radiologist in regards further treatment, which is understandable. It's a comfort to know what other women are going through as as common as fibroids seem to be there's not a huge amount of definitive information out there. It does cause some worry when you feel as though you are boxed in to one option. Thank you again

• Posted

Maybe you should consider seeing a different radiologist. My radiologist is very informative. He will explain and even go as far as drawing diagrams to help me understand. My largest fibroid was 9 cm. It presses against my bladder and my uterus is enlarged. I had a UFE in August. There has been some shrinkage, but it takes a while for it to shrink significantly. I can't speak on the kidney issue, but I would assume you would need to get that taken care of sooner, rather than later. I have a friend who had several fibroids that were starting to affect her kidneys.

• Posted

Hi,

I just wanted to give a follow up to what I've been going through. I saw a consultant three weeks back. We looked at my ultrasound on the computer - I still can't interpret them well! He said my largest fibroid was 12cm and that I had a few more fibroids which make for a good prognosis. Anyway he showed me a leaflet which gives you the options for fibroids treatments. I asked about a myomectony and he said that due to the size and location of the fibroid that a myomectomy would not be suitable as I could potentially lose a lot of blood and they may have to perform an emergency hysterectomy. So I was left with two options... 1 take esmya for 6 months to help reduce the size or a uae. I decided to go with the uae. Today I had my mri and I should get the results back in two weeks.

If anyone has any input of any kind I would appreciate hearing it! Thanks 😀

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.