Colonoscopy in a few days, worried...

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello all,

This is my first post here. I'm a 36 year old male in otherwise good health.

4-5 months ago, I had several weeks of on-again, off-again diarrhea, and I was experiencing a lot of stomach noise (growling).

One day, once my stools began to firm up again, I noticed a few drops of blood in the toilet. I only experienced bleeding once, but the stomach noises persisted.

I immediately scheduled an appointment with a GI, and after some discussion, she said it was likely that I had a virus, and the bleeding had been hemorrhoidal. She prescribed Hyoscyamine and a probiotic.

I did not start taking the Hyoscyamine (because I was worried it would further complicate my bowel movements) but did begin taking the probiotics.

My stools were often loose, but generally formed (only had diarrhea twice over the following 2.5 months). My stomach continued growling, but the volume and frequency of the noises did decrease.

Anyway, after a recent bowel movement, I noticed blood on the toilet paper (the stool itself was not bloody). The following day I saw blood on the paper again (a very small amount). The noises coming from my stomach have continued to decrease, but I have started having pain in the morning. The pain does not feel like cramping, more like soreness (my abdomen is slightly tender to the touch). Generally, I've noticed the pain is on the left side of my abdomen, though I have had some tenderness in other areas of my abdomen. I have also been having very loose, very green stools, and when I wipe, the fecal residue looks like green mucus.

My colonoscopy is scheduled for next Wednesday (5 days from now) and I'm quite anxious. 

Do my symptoms sound like colon cancer?

Could it be Crohn's or Diverticulitis?

A bacterial infection?

Parasites?

Any insights would be appreciated. Thanks.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Oh, I forgot to mention, at my first appointment with the GI, I had blood testing and FOBT (6 stool cards) and everything came back negative.
  • Posted

I'm going thru the same thing. Do you have pressure and pain in your lower back before you go? Does it come so fast tthe urge that you barely make it?

• Posted

Hi Christina,

No, I don't have lower back pain, and I don't have a strong urge to use the bathroom either.

My bowel habits really haven't changed. I go once (maximum of twice) per day, usually at the same time each day.

• Posted

It's a case of 'wait and see" -I would think.

Probably you are very anxious and it's making you feel worse.

Can you take somebody with you for the colonoscopy-(you shouldn't be alone especially afterwards) -may feel drowsy.(won 't be able to drive for few hours) 

In U>K we use sedation for this procedure-if you are in U.S or another country- they may use different anaesthesia.

Good Luck -(I have had a colonosocopy so I know what it's like).

• Posted

Hi,

All blood needs to be checked out by a gastroenterologist.

Blood can be caused by many other maladies not just cancer.

My dad had advanced cancer and had no bleeding.

So, please relax and get some sleep.

You have just a couple of more days until your colonoscopy...please repost at that time.

I have long standing Crohn's, stomach ulcers, duodenal ulcers, and hiatal hernia.

I will do my best to explain your colonoscopy results.

Crohn's can be suspected, but it takes biopsy evaluation to be sure.

Hemorrhoids if present, will be easily seen during the exam.

I have had 6 blood transfusion because of GI bleeding...

You have been responsible and you have taken the correct steps.

kind regards

• Posted

Hi everyone,

Had my colonoscopy done this morning and wanted to update my post.

The procedure went well (as did the prep, surprisingly), but the doctor did remove 5 small polyps (2-5mm each).

He said he doubted that any of them were malignant, but some could be pre-cancerous, and that they would be biopsied and I would have results within a week.

He also informed me that if the polyps were found to be pre-cancerous, I would need another conoloscopy in 3 years, and if they were not, then I could wait until I'm 50 to have my next standard screening.

Not a perfect result, but a load off my mind and definitely a relief.

I want to thank those of you who replied. I've been really nervous about the procedure, and your kind words helped allay my fears.

Thanks!

• Posted

So pleased you got rid of the polyps -hope there's good news of the biopsies.Hopefully the worst is over.

Now you can enjoy Xmas/New Year

Best wishes.

Susan

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.