Crohn's... Lots going on!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi Guys, I have recently been diagnosed with mild Crohn's, these symptoms have been going on for over 10 years but I can finally put a name to it, which is a good thing.

Since being diagnosed a lot has been going on, people at work were coming down with a tummy bug, I got really Ill with diarrhoea, bloody and mucas plus terrible cramps, no appetite which I put down to bug probably bringing out the Crohn's, at the same time I started asacol medication, which made me feel sick with headaches so reduced the dose.

I've been back to docs who took blood test, results back next week to see if I have a reaction to the medication. I'm still taking the reduced dose of asacol . I've actually started to feel a bit better in myself able to go out for walks and appetite back but still have bleeding and diarrhoea... I'm not sleeping great which I've never had a problem with before and I'm 10 days late on my period but not pregnant, lower back pain.

Seems there is a lot going on and I'm not sure what is connected to what. Any advice?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Sorry you're not doing too great! My periods have been either early or late too. I think maybe it's the bodies reaction to stress from crohns, though at my age it could be hormones.

dont know if you're in the uk, but may be worth giving the gi nurses a ring for advice and they should be able to chase up your bloods.

hope you feel a bit better soon.

• Posted

Thank you. Yes I'm in the UK and will get bloods back early next week.

👍👍

• Posted

Sorry to hear the woes of another sufferer! Can't comment on the meds - so far I have avoided them! I'm a bit similar though although diagnosed 3 years ago probably suffered 20!

Whenever I caught a bug from the kids what was 3 days for them would be 3+ weeks for me. 

From my own experience & from what I have read alot of female Crohns sufferers find their symptoms to be worse around the time of their period. Mine are a little irregular 5days +/- from expected date & always have more diarrhoea than at other  times.

Sleep is so important, hope you manage to improve it

Best wishes

• Posted

Sorry to hear about your case. I have it mild too and I manage it by eating yogourt and eat slowly and avoid fresh food. The fruit I eat is kiwi and papaya which will give enzyme to digest food. I hope you get well soon.
  • Posted

Hi Kelly

Indeed. it is difficult to get a reign on Crohn's...

Asacol is a great medication...my insurance required I try Balsalazide 3x750 mg three times per day. I also take Budesonide 3 mg three times per day.

Nothing you describe is foreign to me...although it is down right aggravating.

Some days I eat things ti keep things moving because moving causes me less abdominal distress. Other days I have some pasta or cheese or potato to slow things down. Time is the teacher.

Smaller meals more frequently seem to be easier on my system.

Sleeping...yes, many ups...my neurologist suggested Melatonin 3 mg taken two hours before bedtime...melatonin is produced by the brain in preparation for sleep but we have all of these lights and screens that inhibit this natural process.

kind regards

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.