5th metatarsal fracture

Posted , 4 users are following.

ive fractured my 5th metatarsal little over 8 weeks ago..they called it non union displaced and needing pins from ortho to fix it..im just now getting to see ortho about it..im sure its healing to some degree..but still stays ice cold and can feel the bone move even with my boot on..im hoping they wont have to do surgery,but im still in a great deal of pain..of course tho im working part time on it and havent really been abel to stay off of it since i broke it

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Oh no! This fracture needs non weightbearing especially without surgery. Why did it take you so long fo see a physician? My surgery for non displaced

Was easy. 4 weeks off my foot,

4 in a boot then back in regular shoes and on my horse. Have no clue why people want to wait this fracture out. I also had a bone stimulator. Your fracture will not heal unless you are off 100% and I know how difficult that is. This one is a bear to heal!

• Posted

i had to wait because im uninsured and had to find a place thats going to take me as self pay. luckily i did..they are going to fix it. ive been in a hard walking boot and have been working part time on it..hadnt been abel to stay off it but for maybe a week..im sure its healed to some degree tho
  • Posted

Hi Melissa

Ouch! Who told you to walk, weight bear, on a displaced fracture that is a non union?

Get your weight off of that foot...perhaps crutches or a knee scooter...weight bearing on it will make matters worse.

Boot, elevation, ice, crutches or knee scooter

kind regards

• Posted

Melissa,

I am so very sorry....I have lived where I had to choose between medical care and paying the bills. I have told myself, what good is having a healthy body if I have no job because I needed to recover, and because I have no job I have no roof over my head nor food for my stomach.

big warm hug...what kind of work do you do...how about a knee scooter...you could work and stay off of your foot.

• Posted

I help out at a free clinic and see this problem all the time. Breaks my heart. I just fear this won't ever heal without staying off it. I found my knee scooter on Craig's list but it was still $125. Please let us know and have you tried the free clinic route. We have wonderful facilities here in VA.

• Posted

o yea ive found a place that will fix it..called vcu..im going there on the 6th of dec to see the surgeon..then im really going to have to stay off it
    • Posted

If you are in the Richmond area I am happy to lend you my knee scooter!! It helped so much. I am in Manakin Sabot area of

goochland

• Posted

im near newport news..but vcu is in richmond. lol i asked for a knee scooter for christmas!
    • Posted

Well whoever is purchasing for you tell them to check Craig's or ebay. I had great luck. New ones are $300 I think. Let me know if you don't get one!! I am 2 hours away!

• Posted

thank you very much! that will help to keep me mobile too plus keep me off of it..
    • Posted

You are so welcome!! When is your surgery? Let

Me know if you don't get one. Find me on Facebook.

Sandi Reese nlack and white horse is my photo

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.