Burst Eardrum Healed - but still tender. 7 months

Posted , 5 users are following.

I burst my eardrum about 7 months ago. The eardrum has healed but when I put my finger in my ear gently i can feel it's still quite tender.

I appreciate the ear is delicate but how long does an eardrum take to heal fully where it doesn't feel tender anymore?

Additionally, I have tinnitus and I'm not sure if that could be related to the eardrum not having healed yet.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I was shot 42 years ago and it destroyed my left eardrum.

I have had tinnitus 24/7 ever since.

But that is just me, I hope it is different with you.

Sending prayers,

Sue 🙏

• Posted

Is your eardrum still open/burst?.. 

What are you symtoms now when you say it destroyed it.

Really sorry to hear about..

• Posted

Thank you, the symptoms I have now with that ear is tinnitus all the time and I am totally deaf in that ear.

The tinnitus you do get used to over time, or at least I did.

It became part of my new normal way of life.

Best wishes

• Posted

Neil can you go and see an audiologist for a hearing test. They can look in the ear to see if there is anything unusual, test to see how your middle ear system is working and test your hearing (including very high frequencies to assess your tinnitus,) before referring you back to your GP or an ENT if there is any reason to. Nerves can be tender for a long time and that's not unsual but you want to exluded any other causes first.

• Posted

Hi Neil

How dangerous to touch your ear drum...I have had tinnitus since the 1970s.. most of the time I am able to ignore it, but when it becomes intrusive, I play white noise to distract my brain...water falling or rain work the best for me.

kind regards

• Posted

I dont touch the eardrum, I just put my finger into the entrance of the ear and I can feel it tender throughout smile 

Apparently if you can match the tinnitus noise and replay that noise for 6+ hours a day, your brain will ignore the noise eventually. My biggest issue is that the noise changes to very hard to do.

• Posted

Yes, tinnitus can become very noisy...please keep your fingers out of your ear...germs in your ear could be devastating....return to the physician who cared for your ear drum for help with the tinnitus.

kind regards

• Posted

I've read somewhere that it could take a year for the eardrum to be fully matured. Can't say this is 100% confirmed though. Just be extra careful with it you'll be fine.

I had Myringoplasty in mid July due to perforated eardrum in my left ear. Been dealing with tinnitus ever since, eventually I just learnt to live with it so it doesn't bother me. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.