Bartholin cyst aftercare?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi All, I hope someone can help me/advise if they've experienced the same thing. I had marsupilisation of a bartholin cyst 5 days ago, it's been drained and stitched open to heal from the inside out and I've been in agony with it ever since, more than the cyst itself! I still can't sit/walk properly and I'm taking salt sitz baths twice a day to keep it clean however, today I braved it and had a look at what was going on down there and unnoticed A LOT of yellowy discharge, some of it even looks crusty/dried up near the wound (so sorry for the overshare). Naturally I freaked out and where it's still an open wound and painful I'm reluctant to go poking around and cleaning it with cotton buds etc in case I do any harm. I guess I just want to know if anyone else had this post op and if it's just the drainage from the cyst still? It doesn't smell it's just uncomfortable and a bit gross to be honest, I'm in two minds to go and see my GP anyway just to be sure but wanted to see if anyone else experienced this?

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, I so feel your pain. My operation was slightly different as the surgeon took away the cyst but also the complete gland too. I am 9 weeks and 4 days in to recovery and I'm still suffering. I developed a hematoma which was the size of a apple which was excruciating, I had it drained but that made it 10xs worse, it has reduced in size now to about the size of a plum but where it is still stops me from sitting properly, I drive with a babies swimming ring and can't sit on the seat and push on the peddles, I developed an infection about a week in which was horrendous even though I tried my hardest to keep the area clean, I too looked at it when it was first done and was nearly sick, my left bottom cheek was black and blue, my lip looked like a piece of steak that had started to turn. Just horrible, now you wouldn't even know I've had surgery but I do as the lip is different now. I've been experiencing like a burning sensation down there and the surgeon has confirmed that it is all down to my nerves but by heck at times it's unbearable, nobody told me any of these possible problems after surgery.

With regards to your leaking and the colour of the fluid I would say that it is still the cyst leaking, if you are unsure and just need a bit of reassurance then I would make an appointment with your surgeon or doctor as they have a duty of care and are there to advise and support, i just hope your doctors are better than mine as I had to go and see then 3 times as something didn't feel right and the last time they washed their hands of me as I went private for the op it's like they didn't want to know but my surgeon had signed me back over to my doctor.

I hope you get the advice you need and that the pain subsides soon for you x

• Posted

Thanks so much for your reply Teresa, it sounds awful what you've had to go through, I honestly wonder whether surgery was the right choice sometimes but hey ho we are where we are.

I had the same problem regarding post surgery care, I feel like I've been discharged and forgotten about, no leaflet or advice!

I'm going to monitor it and see if it improves, thanks again for sharing your experience with me, it's comforting to talk to others going through this. X

• Posted

I too felt and feel the same as to wheaher it was worth it but the surgeon said due to how big it was it might of popped and could of been worse.

Mine was not straight forward because of the size of it, she said it was more of a complex surgery to remove it due to how far in it went.

I was suppose to be a day case but ended up staying over night. I was ok when I came round about 4.30 and so was eating my tea and a coffee but 7pm boom the pain struck just as my husband and sons arrive, the pain was excruciating. I had nurses, hca and doctors in with me. My leg was moving up and down the bed and my husband knew how much pain I was in as this is what I did when I was in labour lol. They gave me oral morphine and then through the needle in my arm, within a short time I was away with the fairies but at least I didn't feel the pain. Once home it just seemed to go downhill, the painkillers were too strong and made me feel awful, so had to stop and just use paracetamol which were useless. I then got constipated so was given movical and omg that worked a treat but not fun when you suddenly need the loo and can't walk very fast. My poor busband... When I had the hematoma drained oh my word I bled like a river and this was from 2 needle pricks I've never seen so much blood from such small holes. Again my poor busband was there having to strap sanitary pads over the holes as plasters were no good but where the hematoma was the pads kept falling off.

I must admit these last 9-10 weeks have been hell. I bruise very easily and so the surgeon said that that is why I developed the hematoma and that she said that this is the first surgery she's done where this has happened.

In time I know it will better but core blimey never expected this. Good job I didn't accept the job I was offered before surgery as no boss would accept this amount of time off especially when you've only just started.

I hope you continue to improve but we are always here for a moan x

• Posted

Hi, i would go to see your doctor as i think you might have an infection and need some antibiotics , i had the same 7 days post op and was in agony i had to go to my walk in centre as it was a Sunday and my doctors surgery was closed. Make sure you keep your stitches dry , i used a hairdryer on warm setting to dry myself , also at night i tried not to use a pad , i put a towel on the bed to lay on to catch any discharge etc. It helped to dry the wound. Im now 3 weeks post op and feeling great. Swelling has almost gone and not much pain , i hope you feel better soon xx
    • Posted

Thanks ladies! I thought it might be an infection but I'm already on antibiotics that I was given when I was discharged. It doesn't seem to 'leak' from me it just sort of congregates inside, very gross. I've decided I will call the doctors in the morning as I'm freaking out over it and just need them to tell me if it's normal or not. I wish the throbbin and stabbing pains would stop, they don't tell you about the pain afterwards and no one seems to understand how painful it is. Xx

• Posted

Hi ladies, little update... saw my gp yesterday who confirmed the wound is infected, he seemed rather angry at the antibiotics the hospital had given me as they weren't strong enough to keep infection away so I'm now on metronidazole as well as an antibacterial cream sad the good news is he said it's healing well and to keep up the salt baths so definitely put my mind at rest. They did cut my lip in surgery to stretch the skin to allow them to get to the cyst which they didn't tell me after the op, this explains why when I had a look after to see what was going on down there I almost cried thinking I'd been hacked apart! Anyway, my minds at rest for now, swab results of the type of infection are back later in the week. Thanks again for taking the time to reply to me, you've really helped xx

• Posted

Glad you went to the doctors and it's been confirmed, we know our bodies and when something isn't right. Were you given amoxiclav in the hospital? Thats what I was given and still got infection too. Fingers crossed the medication works and you start to feel better soon x

• Posted

Yes that exactly what I was given! Really frustrating that as I've finished that I have to start another course but hey ho, get there in the end! X

• Posted

I think they gave me what they've given you too for your infection. I think it is quite common as the doctor told me it's because where it is, a warm area that breeds bacteria. Let's hope it works x

• Posted

Hi im so pleased you went to the doctors , i hope you will feel better soon. So many people i have spoken to have said the same. No aftercare and infections. I wasnt told until 1 hour before surgery how invasive it would be. In my case i was cut both sides and sections cut away with cysts attached. Still glad i had it done. So nice not to feel the cysts rubbing. Take care x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.