TECNIS SYMFONY LENSES RECALLED BY FDA-ANYONE SUFFERED LOSS OF VISION

Posted , 28 users are following.

I am scheduled for cataract surgery on Nov. 30th, and the TECNIS Symfony lens (manufactured by Abbott Medical Optics, Inc.) is recommended. I am concerned because FDA issued a recall notice for these lenses on Sept. 21st of this year.  (Recall #Z2857-2016, Event #75051)  These lenses (about 737)  were NOT properly checked prior to distribution.  Has anyone had these lenses installed and needed corrective surgery or suffered loss of vision as a result of having the lenses installed.?

0 likes, 81 replies

81 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Lordy,

I am going to find out what I have...my vision is valuable...I would not accept an intraoccular lens on recall.

kind regards

• Posted

The recall notice indicates that there was a failure in some inspection equipment. That doesn't indicate there is a problem with the lenses, merely that it is possible there might be. I've seen recall notices from the FDA for Alcon and Bausch&Laumb and other IOL manufacturers before when I was hunting through the FDA site for data on lenses, they are cautious with medical devices to play it safe. I would think that if anything it makes it likely the company will be more cautious after that to avoid more negative publicity. 

• Posted

I wrote to Abbott Medical Optics and asked if they could tell me how many people needed corrective surgery as a result of this incident and how they were effected. And, did this result in loss of vision or any other long term malady in any of the cases?

Their response was, "Any public information regarding an FDA recall is available on the FDA website.  Any other information regarding patient status is confidential and/or proprietary."  REALLY! 

REQUESTING A NUMBER IS HARDLY CONFIDENTIAL AND ALLEGING PROPRIETARY INTEREST PREVENTS POTENTIAL PATIENTS FROM MAKING AN INFORMED DECISION RE USE OF THEIR PRODUCTS.

IF NO CORRECTIVE SURGERY WAS NEEDED AND THERE WAS NO LOSS OF VISION OR ANY OTHER LONG TERM MALADY THEN THEY SHOULD BE HAPPY TO SHARE THE INFORMATION.

I have not yet been able to locate the info I want from the FDA website.

• Posted

I suspect the odds are that the FDA limits what data companies are allowed to release  to prevent a public given only partial data while an incident is still under investigation which might be misleading  from worrying inappropriately. Many people underestimate how much government regulation can lead to unintended consequences in terms of how companies operate.  Patient information needs to be kept private, which is I suspect the major concern with the sort of questions you are asking. It would seem rational that aggregate data without patient identifying information could be supplied, but unfortanately the various rules sometimes unintended consequences of making that information hard to collect or report on, even if the answer were 0 patients.

Unfortunately in other industries I know of people who were frustrated they weren't allowed to release information that would calm people's fears, and releasing partial information would have left people with the wrong impression. 

I suspect that during that    that every other IOL manufacturer would make similar comments since if they aren't allowed to release everything to put the incident into context to give people the "whole story" they are hesitant to release partial information.  I'd suggest asking other IOL manufacturers about their recalls and you'll see the same answers. If the information were available, reporters likely would have covered it. Whether or not we think the FDA is doing a good job, they presumably dictate what information they claim is appropriate for the public to have access to and companies rationally are going to follow the standard they set, even if in theory they might be able to provide more information. They also realize that incomplete information may be misleading. 

In the world of safety if there were *never* a recall then there should be natural concern that safety protocols might not be stringent enough. Given that in the real world all humans are fallible and accidents happen, with > 20 million cataract surgeries a year worldwide, occasionally there will be a recall from the major IOL manufacturers. An occassional recall suggests the system is working. 

• Posted

oops, I should have said "an occasional recall suggest the system may be working",  we can't know for sure if the protocols are designed appropriately or not. 

• Posted

I live in Canada, and had Tecnis symfony lenses implanted March & April 2016. I have been having ongoing problems with blurred vision, ghosting and significant halos and starbursts from car headlights at night. I am scheduled to have surgery March 2017 to have these lenses removed and replaced with basic custom monofocal lenses. I read that the recall notice was from the UK but it did mention that the 737 were globally distibuted, so I'm not sure if I got a pair of the affected ones. I just know that I am terribly disappointed with the results.

• Posted

The "blurred vision" suggests the odds are either your surgeon hasn't appropriately corrected any residual refractive error (which can also cause some of the night vision issues you have). There is no indication there was any actual problem with any IOL, it was a precautionary recall. 

There are people terribly disappointed with monofocals since they have a small range of good vision with each eye. Some with monofocals are terribly disappointed with the problematic  halo and glare issues  or starbursts they get, almost as frequently as those who get the Symfony. There is no IOL in existence that doesn't give some people night vision artifacts. Out of > 480,000 people or so getting premium IOLs each year, a small fraction have disappointing results, but unfortunately they are far more likely to post about them than those who have good results, so people need to keep the risks in perspective.  

Its unfortunate that you had poor results, but that is the risk with any IOL since none are perfect. Others reading this need to keep in mind that the vast majority of people are happy with premium IOLs, but merely need to keep in mind the potential that they might be the "statistic" who isn't.  If I'd gone with monofocals, I'd almost certainly have had a small range of vision. In my case I figured betting on the potential of a few decades of more convenient vision were worth the very slight risk of needing a lens exchange. It was a good bet, and if I'd wound up the rare "statistic" on the losing side of it, would still have viewed it as having been  good bet (merely one that was lost) because no one can predict beforehand who will do well with a lens.

• Posted

My surgeon is a very experienced and respected opthlamic surgeon having performed thousands of cataract, IOL's and eyelid procedures in Ontario and British Columbia and is an assistant professor at the University of British Columbia. I have had several follow up tests done post operatively in the last 12 months and was told to wait at least 6 months for the eyes to adjust, with no improvement. The cost of my Symfony surgery also included possible laser refractive surgery, if needed. I have had extensive testing done with this in mind, and was told that after testing, was told that neither Lasik or PRK would resolve my issues.

Hence my decision not to risk further Symfony lenses and have them replaced with monofocals. I have several friends that have had monofocal implants both very recently, and some within the past few years, and all have reported little, if any problems with night driving or other significant problems. I know there are no guarantees when it comes to eye surgery, but I am not willing to continue with the current blurred vision, ghosting when reading signs and letters and significant halos and starbursts with nighttime driving. I'll take my chances with monofocals.

• Posted

Obviously if you have problems then you need to try another option. Most of my comments were addressed really to others reading your post who are considering options for surgery, for them to keep in perspective that your results are atypical. 

The results may have nothing to do with the surgeon, but merely whether your visual system can adapt to the lenses, or other aspects of your visual system. Going for a monofocal lens *might* leave you with less problems with halo&starbursts, but no guarantee since some people get them with any IOL. LASIK or PRK might not address those sorts of issues (depending on their cause) which may be why they are recommending an exchange instead.

Its the issue of "blurred vision" which is puzzling, since you shouldn't have blurred vision if your eyes are healthy unless you have some remaining refractive error. Residual refractive error can be corrected with LASIK or PRK, but it may be that they aren't recommending it due to the halo issues those wouldn't address. If the "blurred vision" isn't due to refractive error, then its possible its due to some other problem with your eye, and that you'll have blurred vision with a monofocal as well. 

• Posted

Thanks for your feedback. I really can't explain why I have experienced all these adverse effects with the Symfony lenses. I appreciate that my symptoms may be atypical. Even my eye surgeon was very puzzled with my blurred vision & ghosting on reading signs & letters, although he did say that halos & starbursts were a fairly common issue that normally lessened after 6 months. Prior to getting the cataracts I have had better than average vision and had been getting good results with my annual checkup with my optometrist, and had no other vision concerns, other than the cataracts. I really hope that I can get better vision with choosing monifocal replacements but I will move forward with that decision. 

• Posted

I had my first cataract removal & Symfony Tecnis lens put in my left eye about 3 weeks ago.  My first, second and third post visit to my surgeon went well healthwise,  healing excellent, but vision poor in my left eye.  Doc said that the lens that he put in may need to be removed and a replacement put in.  I had double & blurred vision a well as seeing through a film of blue. which didn't seem to show signs of improvement between visits... and just not good enough to satisfy my surgeon.  I have to give him major credit as he is determined to make it work.  So we went ahead and moved the surgery up on the right eye... and that was done yesterday morning.  This time my total in clinic surgery, eye tests etc., took about 3 hours.  After the laser was used to break up the cataract, and then removed... I went into a room for additional eye measurements to be taken before the lens was put in.  Once that was done... he determined the proper corrections,  eyedrops being given during the waiting time.  Then into the room to have the lens fitted.  This was all different than the way the surgery prep was done three weeks ago for my left eye... measurements were all done at his office days before the surgery.  Anyway... I was awake through everything except the insertion of the lens.  I have not had any pain... other than when they put in the drops to dilate my right eye.  I went home being able to see quite clearly with my right eye.   Today I had my post operative visit, and my right eye sees 20/20, no blue haze, even with the swelling that is common the day after surgery.   My doctor will reschedule me for removal of the lens in my left eye, measurements again will be taken and a astigmatism adjustment, new symfony etc.,  in a month.  So for me... having him measure my eye after removing the cataract and before putting in the lens... made a difference,  which he will do on my left eye as well.  He explained the reasoning and how he came to change his proceedure.  All I know is I can see as I should with my right eye.  The cost of the second surgery on my left eye, I am not being charged for...  Inconvienient,  yes,  but i am liking the results.

• Posted

I am happy that, so far, you are very happy with your results. In my case I too was delighted with the results of my Symfony lenses after just a few short weeks of surgery. I was amazed how much clearer my vision was after the cataracts were removed and the Symfony lenses put in. I was thrilled that I could even read e-mails, messages and everything else on my small i-Phone screen without my normal 1.75 reading glasses. Even now, I can normally read without the readers unless the print is really tiny, even though with a slight blur and ghosting.

At medium or long distances this blurring and ghosting gets worse eg: when trying to read sub-titles on movies on the TV or on words on projection screens in my church at medium to long distances. My night time driving with oncoming headlights, flares and halos has not improved within the 12 months post surgery.

I was very interested to hear that your surgeon inserted the second IOL immediately after your cataract removal after further eye measurements were taken. I have never heard of that.

I wish you continued success with good results from post operative results for both eyes, not only in the short term but over a longer time frame and would like to hear your long term comments sometime.

• Posted

At first there was a blue haze that was rather annoying in the left eye, however I now know it was caused by the drops that I had to put in twice a day. The bright colors are coming back. Color was good in the right eye from day one. My continued blur in my left eye concerns my surgeon. I am 20/40... and he said he wants to go back into the left eye and correct the astigmatism that seems to be there causing the blur. That is why he double checked the measurements when working on my right eye... between removing the cataract and inserting the lens. I have to return in two weeks to be remeasured and he will determine the next step then. I have less glare and halo with my right eye and it may get better than 20/20, however I realize it may stay the same. No matter, as my right eye is dominant and over powers my left eye, so my vision seems fine. I am thankful for a doctor that insists I have 20/20 or better in each eye. Seems the astigmatism is the cause of the blur and he thinks a different prescription and possibly tiny cut of some sort will correct the problem. I will trust him.
    • Posted

My next appointment is April 11th. We have yet to go in and address the blur in my left eye. My surgeon is letting the eye completely heal before he remeasures. It looks like he may re-shape the cornea. I still have a bit of astigmatism that needs to be corrected. My right eye has healed nicely. I am getting used to the halo's and the small glare. I can live with it. 😉

• Posted

I recently had surgery to remove the Symfony lenses and replace with Tecnis  monofocal lenses ZCB00 1 piece acrylic IOL. I had my right lens replaced March 10th & the left lens replaced March 24th. Both eyes are still in the healing stage & my surgeon says that it could take 4 weeks or more for any swelling to diminish. Because of some minor astigmatism in my right eye, the surgeon performed a limbal relaxation incision procedure at the time of lens replacement. This involves a couple of tiny incisions around the circumference of the cornea to induce the cornea to more fully return to a soccer ball round shape versus an oval football shape.

According to my surgeon, healing is proceeding nicely and I have 20/20 vision in my left eye. However, I am seeing a very faint shadow-like line in my right eye, kind of like an eye lash in my eye (which it isn't ). The surgeon tells me this could still be part of the healing process and should normally resolve after 4 weeks or so. My vision is still quite blurry in my right eye. I told him that I also experienced this strange faint shadow effect with the Symfony lens, which lasted for a year. He said the other possibility is that it is a slight light reflection on the underside of the lens. I asked if this could be fixed if it persists and he indicated that it couldn't  which leaves me a little concerned if it doesn't resolve. 

• Posted

Hopefully the remaining issues will be heal over time.

The astigmatism they felt a need to treat sugggests you had astigmatism when the Symfony lenses were in place, which could have been treated prior to trying  a lens exchange (those limbal relaxing incisions can be done without getting cataract surgery or lens exchange surgery).

The residual astigmatism  may have been part of the problem with the Symfony that led to the other issues you described since residual refractive error can impact even things like halo prevalence  (and perhaps treating it might have resolved the at least some of the issues and perhaps led to  not feel a need for replacement, but some surgeons like doing surgeries if you'll pay for it).

It sounds like at least one of the complaints   wasn't fixed by a replacement. If you had the sort of dysphotopsia you describe then I gather most surgeons use an IOL with a different size/shape/material rather than merely using a monofocal with the same overall size/shape/material as the lens they are replacing. I'm wondering if you ever bothered to get a 2nd opinion before going to the trouble of getting a lens exchange since I suspect another surgeon might have given you different treatment options. Ideally people should get 2nd opinions before any surgery, but especially before any sort of surgery intended to correct a probematic result from a prior surgery.

• Posted

As I am still in the healing/adjustment stage I think I will wait a while longer until I can assess true results. I was told that I would need reading glasses again after the surgery, and this is the case, with clear vision with 1.75 readers on my iPhone, iPad and laptop. My intermediate and long vision are good. It's too early to evaluate my night time driving with halos.

As far as costs involved, the costs of my cataract surgery, Symfony lenses, and included possible further laser refraction was a total of $5,200. I have had many follow up visits, eye tests etc for Lasik surgery, which my surgeon felt would not help or improve the problems I was having. In actual fact there was no further cost for the second surgery to replace the lenses, and I was even refunded $2,000.

• Posted

I am interested to see if you have now seen any improvement in eliminating halos and concentric circles.  I am in a similar situation to you.  In November I had symfony lenses implated in both eyes and from day 1 have had an issue with halos and concentric circles.  I am currently limited in ability to drive at night.  Shortly I will be under going an evaluation for a lens exchange --- Monofocal for distance.
    • Posted

I wasn't seeing any improvement with halos, starbursts and flares, and ghosting when reading letters and signs in daylight.  I decided to have a lens exchange and had both symfony lenses replaced with monofocal Abbot model ZC800 in March 2017. My left eye is good at 20/20 vision, but I have blurry vision in my right eye which seems to be due largely to some residual swelling and light entering and reflecting off the underside of the IOL, according to the surgeon. I am having follow up visits with him, with the possibility of laser touch up. Even so, my night vision is better than with the Symfony lenses. 

• Posted

Another Canadian here...been following your story lloyd82196 because mine is nearly identical. Had Symfonys put in Feb. 2016. Got rid of two prescription eyeglasses...for reading and computer. Unfortunately my distance is less sharp than before...intermediate about the same, and I have all the glare, ghosting, halos etc. that you do. When I discovered the recall of the lenses, I phoned Abbott USA and they were clueless. Told me to call Abbott Canada...also clueless and scoffed that I had found that information 'online'. They did, however, check it out when I mentioned FDA and my serial numbers for my lenses were not in the recall. Prior to surgery I was far-sighted with stage 2 cataracts and one of the two optometrists who work for my surgeon suggested lenses to avoid laser now and surgery in a year or two. Sounded logical. I researched my surgeon and the lenses thoroughly and felt confident. Until finding this site and your story, it seemed I was the only one having problems with my very expensive [same price as you] lenses, so it was comforting to find you. And softwaredev is very knowledgeable...saw him/her on another site...and seems to give good, unbiased opinions. Apart from all the halos, glare, blur, ghosting, spokes from lights, visible concentric rings from certain coloured lights, I also have some jittering/strobing when reading and I can see the outer edge of my left lens...the right cleared up but the left is the same. I should mention that I have rather bothersome, large floaters from vitreous gel detachments in both eyes from several years ago [they have never settled out, as promised]. I suspect that they contribute to the glare and blurring. My eyes are also dry, which may also contribute. Post-surgery, the surgeon has never seen me...patients get sent to his optometrists. This morning I phoned and will be seeing my surgeon shortly. Thanks for your posts...and software dev's...I now feel not so alone. I wish you all the luck in the world lloyd 82196 and look forward to hearing of your progress.

• Posted

Hi Linda - I too am Canadian East Coast. Scheduled for cataract surgery in 3 weeks with Symfony lenses. This is girst I have read about a recall and yours and Lloyd's situations have me very worried about my choice. I am in my early 50s and thought these lenses would give me good vision all round as I work full time with computer and paperwork. Really wondering if I should now change my mind and go with a monofocal. It would be awful to spend $1800 and find out I couldn't live with Symfony lenses.

Question are all monofocals the same or are some better than others?

I feel for your situations and pray you get answers and solutions from your surgeons.

• Posted

Hi Sue.An. The recall doesn't scare me as my lenses were not in that batch. At least somebody at Abbott is doing quality control...eventually...even though neither the US nor Canadian reps I spoke with knew anything about it. Softwaredev's suggestion to get a second opinion is a terrific one!!! I wish I had done that...it might allay your fears or even steer you in a different direction. I had my appointment with my eye surgeon yesterday...first time I've seen him or spoken with him since my surgery over 15 months ago. He says my results are excellent and is perplexed with my blurring and glare, calling me one of the few outliers. Apparently nearly everyone loves their Symfony results. He suggested I ramp up my efforts to increase tear production and that many of my problems are due to my dry eyes. He dismisses the possibility of floater interference saying that they will settle in time...that I do not believe!!...have had them for over 7 years. People without huge floaters don't have a clue  how problematic they are. He also said he could tweak my eyes with laser to try to lessen the blur but that that might result in me occasionally having to wear glasses...which was the primary reason I went in for surgery in the first place...to get rid of them!! All in all, the appointment was somewhat disappointing. I mentioned to him that if I had had a sneak preview of my post-surgery results with Symfony, I would have declined them. He replied that if I had had a preview of results with monofocals, I would have been even more disappointed...I assume he meant because I would likely be an outlier with them too...I really don't know. In my initial research I did not include monofocals so can't comment on them, other than hearsay from others...who seem to like theirs. A close friend got them about 16 years ago and has loved them ever since!!! Do yourself a favour and get that second opinion and put your mind at rest!! Thanks for your good wishes and the same to you!!! Linda

ps. for what it's worth I can use my computer very well without glasses. I adjust the brightness to lessen the floater effect. I can read OK most of the time but sometimes the ghosting effect is annoying.

• Posted

Linda,

I have had my Symfony lens since February this year. I have posted all of my surgery informations... the good with my right eye... and the problems we encountered with my left eye, as they occurred here somewhere on this patient site. I am not real familiar with message boards as I should be, so my messages/posts are scattered here and there. But if you look up everything I have posted to this date... you will see what I have gone through to get the good vision that I now have. I have an excellent surgeon that put in the lens, and even though I had a few drawbacks with my left eye... he took me by the hand, did multiple tests, reconfigured, and I was amazed at the progress we made together! He spent hours with me... and I have the photos, looking back... I see that unless the surgeon is willing to take the time to examine, over and over the surgical process, and not rely on first tests... (very important!), as he took three sets of measurements on my left eye, and my eye had changed over the time these were taken etc. We let the eye heal of all swelling and went back to remove the capsule first, and then another time for cornea surgery... to correct a small amount of blur, caused by astigmatism that was small, but showed up on yet a third measurement. All this took a total of three months to completion. I find no fault with my Symfony lens. They are wonderful. I had done my research throughly and have come to the conclusion... by reading the reviews from my surgeons website... (All of his patients are very happy with the end result), that the Symfony lens are about as perfect as you can get to having perfect vision. It was time consuming and the post surgery laser treatments that brought me to this point... it was not the fault of the lens for my setbacks, but the changes in my eye. I am just very thankful that I have a Surgeon that took the time to dig deeper and question his very own every step, along the way. His transparency and continued care for me was amazing.

• Posted

After having the Symfony lenses I was able to read books, laptop, iPad and iPhone without my normal (non-prescription) readers. However, this did not compensate for the ghosting/3D effects when reading captions on my TV or signs or screens etc. The halos, starbursts, flares of oncoming headlights were a real problem for me with nightime driving. Before the cataracts (which were fairly mild) I had excellent intermediate and long vision. I have had to use readers for over 10 years for close up work. After monitoring the symfony results for about a year and after many consultations and follow-ups with my eye surgeon, I decided to have the symfony lenses removed and replaced with Abbott model ZC800 monofocal lenses in March 2017. I was told that I would need to revert back to my readers for close up vision and this is the case. My left eye has absolutely no problems and indeed have 20/20 vision in both eyes. However, I have this strange sensation of having a slight eyelash presence and slight sheen/translucent effect in my right eye, Daylight/sunlight entering the right eye causes a blurring, and this is reduced when i wear sunglasses. I reported this at a follow up visits with one of the other doctors at the clinic (not my surgeon). He thought it might by light reflecting off the underside of the lens. I am going back for further follow up and testing in August 2017 and see what can be done. My surgeon still keeps saying that my eye is still healing and should improve, but honestly I'm not too confident in this prognosis, as this is what I was told with the Symfony lenses after 12 months. We'll see!

• Posted

Good morning Sharon 13639,

I'm not familiar with message boards either and can't find any of your previous posts, but that's OK...sounds like you have ended up in a very good place!! Your surgeon is a real angel! You are lucky in that you are in the majority of people who love Symfony lenses. I don't necessarily blame the lenses...or my surgeon...or who knows what? We are all so individual that it might be impossible to ever know who will have great results with the Symfony surgery and who won't. Anhow, I am happy that you are not one of the outliers. Your research and determination have paid off and kudos to your surgeon who did not give up!! Wishing you continued enjoyment of your new eyes!!!

• Posted

Thanks Linda. Where I live to restart process for second opinion is a long wait time. I do know my surgeon has lots of experience and I went back 2nd time to see if any pre-op tests indicated Inwiuld not be a good candidate for Symfony lenses and all tests indicate my eyes are healthy. of course what's under your natural lens may be a surprise and cause issues but maybe that would affect monofocal lenses too.

Wish I lived in bigger city - more options. St least in Canada the surgeons aren't motivated by profit as they get paid same regardless of lens type I chose. He says I should get good results based on tests done no matter which lens I choose. But each has a compromise that I have to make. That comment was based on the fact I currently have good near vision at 53 with cataracts. I don't wear glasses to read or for my iPhone. So if I opt for monofocal lenses I will lose near or distance. Given I cannot try contacts to see if monovision works he would not recommend darting one for near and one for distance. With Symfony I would have to compromise a little (although negligible) distance and may need cheater glasses for very small print and there good be halos and glare at night.

Of course that is the best outcome - there could be complications due to surgery or some unknown factor that could compromise my vision. There just st is no 100% sure thing in surgery.

• Posted

Hey lloyd 82196, I hear you. My pre-op eye situation was identical to yours and agree that the trade-off...the surgery for me was just to rid myself of glasses...was not worth all the new problems. In trying to be objective about my situation, I remind myself that I am [unfortunately] a perfectionist and that if I could go back in time, I might find that I am merely 'romanticizing' about how great my eyes used to be, how well I could read street signs, how mild my cataracts were, and how I should have left well enough alone, etc. I apparently now have 20/20 vision too and got re-scanned this week to make sure nothing had changed, as happened to sharon 13639. I casually mentioned to my family doctor that I wondered about getting my Symfonys removed and he replied...and I don't mean to worry you because he is not ophthalmology-savvy...that the outcomes are not always any better. My surgeon seemed to agree, but that is with regard to me and not the masses. As for your phantom eyelash in your right eye, it sounds exactly like mine. Mine is like a blackish curved line that seems to have a bit of 'thickness' to it, if that makes any sense. Depending on the light, it is more or less visible. For instance, if I sit by a window so that light hits my left eye from the outer side [where the 'lash'] is, and if I waggle my finger in the outer perimeter of that eye, I see two fingers...that is why I am certain it is the edge of the lens. My right eye had the same but cleared up in a few months. I don't think the left is going anywhere soon but it doesn't drive me as crazy as all the blurring and halos etc. The perfectly shaped concentric rings from night time house lights are also evidence that there is reflection from the lens itself...these rings are not glowing or spiking or moving...they are perfect. When I mentioned this to my surgeon he told me to 'just look past them'. I refrained from punching him in the nose!!!

Has anyone out there tried light yellow coloured lenses to remove some of these aberations? They have been suggested to me.

I am very interested in your new lenses lloyd 82196 and hope you will keep us all up to date on your progress...at least your have had improvement over the Symfonys!!

• Posted

Nope...no sure thing in surgery or elsewhere, but you sound confident in your surgeon and that goes a long way to a happy outcome. You are a lot younger than I am. My friend, who got her lenses 16 years ago, was 50 at the time. I would speculate that younger eyes probably have fewer problems. My surgeon did, however, say my eyes are very healthy for my age [70]. I would take issue with your statement that Canadian surgeons are not motivated by money, but that is a topic for another time. Anyhow, best of luck and think positive!!!
    • Posted

Are you still on any of the forums.  Would like to know whether you changed your lenses and how it worked out
    • Posted

Yes veepee, just scroll up a few posts in this thread and see how my Symfony lens exchange is going on. 
    • Posted

Hi Linda, wrote a long story and deleted.  The first thing I tried were the yellow glasses. ( I actually used to wear them when I was in my early 20's to help with glare from oncoming vehicles.  It did help me a lot that time) but it did not help an iota.  Tried pink, tried brown, tried blue.  Tried them all.  Does not help with starburst and halos.

• Posted

Apart from the "eyelash" problem would you say your eyes are much better?  I've got this decision to make - do I do it?  I really don't mind wearing glasses.  That was totally normal vision.  Starbursts and halos are preventing me from having any life after dusk

• Posted

Hi veepee,

I originally bought my yellow lenses to block blue light from tv, pc, tablet etc. This was recommended to combat insomnia. I haven't given them a fair trial for that problem but have tried them for night driving. They don't help and I found information online saying they are actually dangerous for that purpose...they cut out objects in the shadows. It's interesting that you have tried coloured lenses because only this week I discovered Irlen, a condition that prevents the brain from processing or interpreting visuals correctly. Practitioners use coloured filters or lenses which sometimes help the patients. There seems to be only one practitioner in my area and I have emailed her, but so far, no response. Irlen has nothing to do with lens problems but I tried some samples of background colours on my pc and a light blue one was easier on my eyes...the yellow one was not good at all!! It might be worth a try. I will keep you posted if she responds and if I try them. If the line I have in my left eye is the same as lloyd82196's 'eyelash', to me it's no big deal. But everyone's tolerance is different...my surgeon thinks my floaters are no big deal but they drive me insane!! Same goes for my tinnitus...I can cope with mine but a friend of a friend shot himself in the head because he couldn't stand it!!

Linda

• Posted

I would say the left one is much better. The jury is still out on the right one and I just hope it can be fixed. Light entering that eye is causing the blurriness and eyelash sensation, but that could also be caused by the weepiness that dry eye produces. I put drops into that eye regularly for the dry eye. With the lighter nights, and only having the lens replacements in March, it is too early to say if the night vision is any better, but I think it might be from the small amount of night driving that I've done. 

• Posted

I tried the different colours (non prescription of course) and returned them when they did not work. The new opthamologist I went to suggested it. You know I tried it thinking it would help with the glare etc.

Don't be surprised if I shoot myself too if I can't get my problem fixed. Need to first buy a gun and go for some shooting practise.. Just kidding. Am frustrated as hell but not to that extent - not yet anyway

• Posted

veepee...if your eyesight is that bad, you will probably miss!!!...haha...sorry, couldn't resist. OK, here is what I am doing since my appointment last week. 2 or more times a day I apply a hot pack to my eyes. I got sick of a dripping wet cloth, which I had tried previously, and ordered a 'mask' online that you nuke for 20 seconds. My surgeon told me I only need to leave it on my eyes for 2 minutes...yay!! At that point my eyes are watery and I massage them according to his instructions...which amounts to digging my fingers above and below the eyeballs and into the eye socket. Twice a day I use Hi Lo...2%...eyedrops...expensive because they are preservative-free. 2 or more times a week I shampoo the base of my upper and lower lashes with baby shampoo. Sounds awful but it doesn't sting. This regime must be helping lubricate my eyes, although I didn't think they were THAT dry. I think dryness causes a bit of abrasion on the corneas, which can cause distortion, from what I have read. Maybe it's a coincidence but the halos at night seem smaller. Have you tried anything like this?

• Posted

Hey Linda, wrote a bit on my visit to the cornea specialist yesterday.  Replied to Sue.an - anyway here's the gist of it.  He said I had 3 options.  

1.  Live with what I have and which he too thinks is won't be feasible after his exam 

2. Wear new prescription glasses (I was wearing my old pair which worked well for me anyway when I was on the computer /tablet/smartphone) bifocals. My distance vision outside I thought was very good but yea come to think of it whenever I used to slip on pre catatact pair of glasses I did see better.  Anyway, he wanted me to use the glasses for 6 weeks and I see him after that.

3.  Replacing lenses.  He said their group was in the ony one that did it because it is not as easy as doing "simple laser cataract surgery".  Having done the YAG on the right eye would make that one complicated.  Did not discuss actual risks will do so on next visit.  Told me not to get YAG done on left eye if I really want to get the lens changed.  After the posts I read on here I was not going to get it done anyway.

He did not tell me anything about a hot pack or massaging  but told me to continue using the Restasis and also any other soothing eye drop.  He did not specify.  

The commonality is the baby shampoo.  I don't believe that has anything to do with dry eye but oily eyelashes and lids - at least that's what he told me.  I use either estee lauder or lancome eye make up remover but those do leave an oily effect right  I thought it helped to moisturise but f he says baby shampoo, baby shampoo it is next time I go go the stores.  Specially since you seem to think it helps.

Are the eye drops you use Hylo or Hi Lo?

• Posted

I am very glad that I had a surgeon that stayed the course.  It wasn't his fault that I had a capsule that didn't cooperate,  and the astigmatism,  he wanted the eye to heal first before doing that surgery.  The lens was right from the beginning,  no change in the lens,  all is good.  It just took more time to get the left eye corrected, as there was no problem with the capsule or neither did I need astigmatism surgery in the right eye.

• Posted

Hi veepee. Since writing about my eyeball regime, I have developed a 'divot' in my lower left eyelid...overnight!!!...looks like a notch chipped out of it...not red or sore or anything. Surgeon said it looks like it was lacerated. Um, no, nobody sliced open my eye in the middle of the night. Eventually found an article saying if you massage your lids too strenuously, you can collapse the gland tunnel. So now I am using my Thera-Pearl heat mask and not massaging but my eyes felt really dry this morning. The baby shampoo is to removed eye mites and junk that collects at the base of the lashes and plugs the openings of the glands so the eye can't get lubed. My lids get dry and flaky. Put coconut oil at the base of my lashes for a while but didn't like the blur from it and my lids were still flaky. I use the baby shampoo to remove eye make-up but it doesn't work with waterproof make-up. My eye drops are HYLO-FORTE, about $56 for a 10 ml. bottle. Preservative-free as I read years ago that preservatives are not a good thing to put in your eyes. Keep us posted on your progress!! Linda

• Posted

What a great outcome!! Your faith in your surgeon, his knowledge, and yours and his patience paid off...congrats!!!
    • Posted

I just checked images of "divot" - gosh must have been scary when you saw it! 

I just watched a video on youtube using the Thera-Pearl and massage after. 

• Posted

Yes, I was scared and confused...went to bed as normal and woke up with a creepy notch in my lower lid. Doesn't look like it's going away.

I really like the Thera-Pearl...much less messy than bending over a sink with a dripping wash cloth on your eyes...water running down your elbows onto your feet! Also, the mask holds heat longer than a cloth which has to be re-wetted with hot water frequently.

L

• Posted

Would the "divot" be permanent?  You don't think it will fill back in?

• Posted

It's been a few weeks now with no change...I fear I am stuck with it.

• Posted

I have the identical issues you report. Doctors tried additional surgery on my cornea with no change. I am considering removal. How did your removal and replacement go? 
    • Posted

The actual surgery for lens replacement went well. However, 4 months later I still have blurred vision in my right eye. My left eye is good. I am going back to the eye surgeon tomorrow for further testing and hopefully get a solution to the problem. 
    • Posted

Hi, how did your appointment go? Am considering lens replacement and you seem to be the only person who's really had it done.

If you don't mind answering another question, did you have YAG performed after cataract surgery? I was told that it's a more complicated procedure if that's done.

• Posted

I apparently have some astigmatism in my right eye, which is now causing the blurriness. My surgeon said that this could possibly have been the result of the lens replacement. He is planning to do some minor incision surgery on that eye to try to correct the problem in about 3 weeks. He said that after that surgery heals there is a 10% chance that the blurriness could re-occur. If this should happen, he would do some laser treatment to hopefully address the astigmatism and blurriness. 
    • Posted

No, I did not have YAG after cataract surgery. 
    • Posted

Thanks.

I had astigmatism pre cataract surgery so actually had the TS toric lens which should have taken care of it, but according to my optician (who seemed very surprised) seems like my astigmatism has increased 75%.

Hope my lens replacement will be as successful as yours

• Posted

I had the Symfony lens March this year and have the same issues you describe. How did the replacement surgery go? 
    • Posted

Hi Sharon.  I just had a symfony toric lens implanted 2 1/2 weeks ago and i am having issues very similar to yours.  Happily my near visioin is pretty good.  I have no problme seeing my ipad and iPhone.  But distance is not good.     I sure wish I had your doctor.  Mine does not show such concern and consideration or any actually.  .  To that end i am wondering if you mind giving me his name and location.  I am hoping he is somewhere not to far distant.  Thanks Kay 
    • Posted

Kay,

My doctor is fantastic!  He is in Holland Michigan...  doctor Eric Snyder.   You can view his video if you go to You Tube and look up:  Fox 17 news doctor Eric Snyder Holland Eye

Hope this helps.

~Sharon

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.