Surgery decision

Posted , 21 users are following.

hi I'm new to forum , long story , don't want to bore you with too much, had plantar fasciitis for about 3 years now tried everything insoles,stretching strapping had cortisone injections in heal and ultrasound guided ones had shockwave therapy acupuncture and had coblation surgery  doctor has given me all treatment you can think of . Pain excruciatingly painful when I stand and even when I'm in bed it throbs all night .at the end of  me tether, now need to consider having them cut but so confused ,don't no what to do .anyone out there with any ideas cause I haven't  got any

0 likes, 82 replies

82 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Angela - I really do sympathise with your problem and am afraid all I can off is sympathy.

Over the last few years I have had recurring bouts of PF each one getting worse and longer. Last July I was laid up for over two weeks as like you I had the throbbing pain most nights and could only drag myself around clinging onto furniture.

I have found that only complete rest with no walking has worked for me - I know with work and other commitments this can be difficult or impossible. After my last bout I was left with a very stiff painful heel that made walking difficult for over two months. Started calf stretching and this seems to have worked as have not had a bad flare up since although my foot is still often very painful.

Surgery is the last option and I hope others who have had the procedure can tell you of their experiences.

As I have said on this forum before none of the so-called experts seem to really know what they are doing, it's just a case of try this, try that, and if it doesn't work try something else. I wish a proper long term study was carried out at some medical institution with in-depth PF research, but with budget cuts, and as it is not life threatening, I doubt this will happen.

Anyway I hope something works for you soon.

• Posted

Hi David , thanks for the reply, I've had it for so long now it's driving me nuts!! But I guess you no how painful it can be. There are no answers I suppose but I've tried so many things that this is now my last option ,   I just hope this works just scared it will make it worse  ,,but anything is worth a try. 😔

• Posted

Hello Angela - sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Yes I certainly do know the excruciating, debilitating miserable pain of PF only too well. At night somtimes my foot was throbbing so bad I had to rest it on two pillows and keep the covers off - not that this made much difference! At other times there was no pain and I could move my toes, yes it's gone I thought, only to stand up and feel a 1000 volt shock shoot up from my heel to my head, and know there was yet another day of it.

It really is a miserable condition and I hope something soon works for you.

• Posted

Hi David I've done that so many times and it's excruciating  only people who suffer from this understand  other people just think your moaning about achy feet, I try not to talk to people about it because they just think I'm mad !!!   Hope you get some relief soon  like you say you just have to keep trying ,, I just think  it gets hard sometimes  just have trouble coping when  they give  us no sleep , makes us more  miserable by the day.. have had pain killers but they  don't work long term  

• Posted

Angela,

Did they put you to sleep when they did your shock wave therapy?

• Posted

Hi Dennis .No they don't put you to sleep for shockwave therapy. It's uncomfortable  but not  excruciating they can turn it up or down depending on how much you can stand. I had mine at a private hospital , by there physio department I had it for 6 consecutive weeks. But still didn't help made it worse if anything.

• Posted

So sorry. I have been through everything you have. They put me to sleep using an "Ossatron" machine. Too painful to be awake. I'm 40 and have had for 10 yrs. I work in Orthopedics so know a lot. No one wants to cut me for fear of destabilizing the arch and foot drop.

• Posted

I no there are risks with the operation but I have an amazing  podiatrist surgeon  who always is honest with me and tells me all good and bad things that can happen ,but I have been through all other options, with little or no effect I cannot carry on the way that I am.  Something has to work at some point 😳😕

• Posted

I'm so sorry to hear of your ongoing battle with PF. I was able to diagnose my PF very early and have managed to get it under control quickly (about 3 weeks from first symptoms). However, it was a horrible journey, albeit short. So, I empathize with you greatly!! My suggestion is to get your gait analyzed. I'd come across this advice on a site and it makes a lot of sense. The woman felt the source of her recurring PF was actually a weak lower back forcing her to walk awkwardly. I think this could also be a contributing factor to my PF as I am about to undergo a total hip replacement. When my hip is bothering me the most and my gait is off to compensate, I begin to feel the twinges of PF coming on. I quickly rest, stretch and stick to my cushioned shoes (Crocs and Brooks Adrenaline) to get back to pain-free. I know it is hard to rest and live your life simultaneously. I suggest using a walker (an inexpensive one is fine or, even just a cane) to alleviate stress on the fascia. I also recommend acupuncture. It helps - a lot!! Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Linda, yes I've tried accupuncture  it didn't help everything still the same don't find walking with a stick helpful though   Not sure what to do next to be honest just so Fed up of it all. It's one of those situations isn't it you don't gave a choice you have to stand on them  it's just getting harder to carry on with trying to have a normal life ,I've always been active so I'm struggling with not been able to do the things I want , it's so frustrating I no if I do that bit too much I'll pay for it later in the day .

• Posted

Angela, Please do a Google search for an article called "The Running Doc on Plantar Fasciitis" by Dr Lewis Maharam. This is what he says: 

"Fortunately, treatment is easier than most. Good arch supports or orthotics are key: full length, flexible, no hard pastic! Stretches of the calf relieve arch tightness as the heel bone acts like a fulcrum pulling back the arch tissue if too tight. Perform the gastroc and soleus stretches regularly - you can’t do them too much.

Finally, the magic cure is to roll a golf ball under the arch for a half-hour once a day. This may hurt the first week. Keep going because by week two the pain will be gone!

Really!

Enjoy the ride!"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I read this two weeks ago and decided to try it. I have been rolling my foot on a hard massage ball. It has really helped me. You must do it for half an hour every day. I urge you to try it.

• Posted

Thanks for that Lucy I'll have a look tried rollin things under feet but was a tennis ball and frozen ice bottles .ill have a go thankyou. Anything is worth trying.

• Posted

Worst decision I ever made was having surgery on both feet. From having pain in the heel (which was improving slowly) I went to having inflammation as well as pain along the full length of the feet.

Of course everyone has different problems, the doctors diagnose almost all symptoms of the under foot as of?

Yours sounds very bad so it may be beneficial for your problem. Good luck.

• Posted

oh no I'm sorry to hear that. My surgeon said he'll do one at a time so I can get over it and not make me any more useless .how long ago did you have surgery ,what kind did you  have I've already had coblation surgery and that didn't work. I hope you can get some help for the problems you now have .have you tried another podiatrists surgeon I've been to 2 hospitals as the first one didn't have the knowledge the surgeon had at the private one x

• Posted

Hi Angela,

I had Plantar release on both feet, this means slicing the plantar to release tension but it took another 12 years to recover from the operation to a point where I was 90%better. L

Unfortunately it returned 12 months ago and only now I am able to go running but standing for period of time on hard floors is a no no.

I have found the 3/4 insoles which support the arches to be useful and maybe I should be more persistent with the golf ball routine as it seems popular.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news in my case but I have known people have it for just a few weeks also. I believe time and cushioning are the best treatment.

Good luck again

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.