Pain in shoulder blades 2 weeks post P.E??

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, my two small p.e's were found 2/3 weeks ago, 1 in each lung. The site where they started is unknown, but the one thing I did notice before I got these p.e's was sharp pains in my back & shoulder blades along with a bit of breathlessness and chest pain . I am currently on clexine injections 80mg, I have been doing relatively good except from the occasional day where I feel slightly breathless and fatigued but this morning I woke up with sharp pain in my left shoulder blade, it happens when I sit in certain positions and I'm really scared that this is another blood clot making it's way??!! Has anyone else experienced this?! My doctor told me not to worry as it is very very unlikely for me to get another clot whilst on my medicataion but I'm still so anxious as this pain feels familiar! I've been into hospital 3 times since I've been discharged with different complications (I had life saving surgery before this occurred) I feel like an anxious mess and any little pain puts me into a downward spiral! sad

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

According to my Dr I could still throw another blood clot that is why it was important to find out where it came from what triggered it. Being on the blood thinners of course lowers the chances but it is still possible.

They told me if I was worried to go to the ER I was he one who found the first clot because I was worried about a pain.

My lab tests trying to identify my trigger for the blood clot came back Lupus and RA. At least we have a starting place now to start working on.

• Posted

I felt the same way 1-2 weeks after. I found after starting thinners thay my chest pain got worse. I also got crazy anxiety about the process too and would frequent the ER often. I alwayd say to myself better being crazy than dead. if you are ever unsure go...this is what I learned. PE's are scary.

• Posted

Amen. They are scarey specially when they don't know where they came from so they don't know if you are going to get another.

• Posted

Thanks for your replies, the doctor said my p.e's most likely developed due to the severity of my surgery (perforated bowel due to the surgeon burning a hole in my bowel in previous laparoscopy) I then developed a solid haematoma in my pelvis from second surgery, which he said could have also been a contribution to the p.e's, so I was always at risk of getting a clot.. I am 21 year old (was healthy and fit). The pain in left shoulder blade has reduced a bit, and so has the anxiety. I think I will just always have this fear of it coming back now, but I agree always better to be safe than sorry and a bit embarrassed than risking it!

• Posted

My doctor also seemed very confident that i wouldn't develop another clot, but of course if I felt out of breath or in pain to come straight back in. He said even if I did develop another clot they would just continue with the same medication that I'm on to treat it? Which in a way was reassuring but not so reassuring at the same time

• Posted

Yep I'd rather be safe than sorry and dead.

• Posted

Hi Hans, sorry about the PEs, being anxious is entirely understandable and common place. Can I ask where you are in the World because this site is worldwide? Have you also been blood tested for underlying clotting causes even though the surgery is a reason? 
    • Posted

Hi Sheila, I'm in Ireland! I don't think I have been tested for clotting causes. I was in hospital for 4 weeks and have had so many different tests that I don't know what half of them were for! I feel like the doctor presumed I wouldn't get clots due to my age, and that leaves me anxious incase my age is what makes him presume I won't get another

• Posted

I had major leg and knee surgery 10/20. A week later I was in the ER and spent 3 days in the hospital with multiple PE's. Three days later, the pain, shortness of breath, and anxiety was so much worse, so my husband made me go back to the ER. They did all the tests again (blood work, CT scan with dye contrast, etc), but all the blood clots looked stable, vitals were good, and no new clots to be seen. They said that I just had a lot of inflammation in my lungs from the clots, and that it was normal. Surprised me, since the pain was worse than the original time I was diagnosed.

• Posted

I forgot to say they said I did the right thing by coming back. PE's are not something to mess around with.

• Posted

I don't know if you would say it's funny but maybe strange, I have had Several surgeries over my lifetime and never had a problem with a blood clot ever! Then all of a sudden this summer I had a swelling in my lower leg I went to the clinic and said please just tell me if I'm nuts or not and if this is something to be concerned about. They said it was an inflammation of my superficial veins and gave me antibiotics and steroids. 2 weeks later it happened further up my leg but was more painful. So I went to the ER. Same thing superficial veins but since I was there they did an ultra sound of the deep veins in me legs to see if I had any deep vein clots. I did not. 2 weeks later I had the shortness of breath and pressure in my chest. They did the cat scan with contrast and found a huge blood clot in my lower right lung. They decided not to take it out because it was in the lower lung and not putting to much strain on the right heart. But it didn't come from my legs so they started lab work looking for triggers. It may be Lupus or RA

• Posted

Windy, I had pain in my calf twice which was so bad that I went to hospital for scans. Both times they scanned my thigh and told me that I probably had clots in my superficial veins and nt to worry as you can't get PE's from those.

well I did.

ive since had scans on my calf and I now know where the blockage is (it will always be there now). It's close to my deep vein and I think it blocked that and the injections I had prior to the scans on my thighs may have "released" my blockage there prior to the scan.

anyway, I don't think it's coincidence that I thought I might have a DVT. And was scanned for it but told "no" a few weeks prior to finding me PE's.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.