Urgently need help on Tramadol addiction

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi ,I am seriously suffering from Tramadol effects and i urgently need help .I've been taking tramadol for over a year now and recently its been hell for me emotionally and relationship wise ,I get so depressed and worried about relationship and about my girl friend cheating on me and i feel worse like crying coz of depression.recently i'm also unable to get an erection when with my girlfriend ,even when she try's to get me aroused its still difficult to get an erection and i guess its because i'm so depressed ,i have other side effects like Sweating,Loss of appetite,Nausea and Difficulty falling asleep but the most worrying thing is the depression which is ruining my relationship so bad.I urgently need help and i'm open to any suggestions and advice ,treatment and anything that can help.I so badly just need to get this thing out of my system coz its getting me so messed up and the more time goes.

Plz Note: I've been on 800mg dailly for 6 months now

Any helpfull information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Hi Michael

One suggestion, get off the Tramadol asap. I have been cold turkey, the only way I know, & this is the sixth day. I am feeling so much better. The symptoms you described about erections etc is caused by the Tramadol. I got that t shirt, but like I said things are getting better. It was not easy I can assure you. I sort of put a day by day thread, have a look. Hope it helps. I am still having trouble sleeping at nights,, but now am starting to get sleep during the day. Managed 4 hours yesterday and 5 today. Get well Mike.

• Posted

Hi Peter ,

i've seen your post about your journey to get of tramadol cold turkey and i've also read alot of reviews and comments online about getting off tramadol ,personally i think cold turkey would be my best option ,i've tried going cold turkey this week ,i stayed just a day and went back to the pill,its really not easy i must say.I am very convinced the best option i have is cold turkey ,i just want to know for how long will it take for all the side effects to go away completely and whats the worse case scenario if i go cold turkey? , are there any other meds or anything you will recommend i get to assist me with the cold turkey?

I have read so many comments on your post and i'm 100% certain i have to go cold turkey but i know its not going to be easy coz i've tried for a day before. I would appreciate your reply if you have any recommendations or any other meds or anything i need to get to help me ease the process.

Thanks very much and hope you get well soon Peter

• Posted

First if that is what you want to do, throw the tabs, all of them down the toilet. If you work you will not be able to work. You will need a week at least. Lots of snacks, fruit etc to nibble on as appetite will go for about 4 - 5 days. I had my first big meal yesterday. It was brilliant. Liquids, a lot, tea , coffee ,coke, water , juices etc. Hot baths , maybe 5 times a day to relax in. Be prepared for a lot of TV dvds etc & no sleep for 3 - 4 days. A fter that things start to improve. Hope this helps

• Posted

Hi Mike, I've been on Tramadol since 2014 and my 'not-so-successful-TKR operation' 2013 in Stockholm. In Sweden they generously prescribed  OxyContin aka 'Hillbilly Heroin' a powerful synthetic opiate. Since 2014 I am back home in Thailand. Here "no-have OxyContin". Not approved by the Thai FDA due to the high addiction risk. So, to kill the 'cannot-move-deep-bone-pain'  I take Tramadol prescribed my  orthopedic doctor. But never more than 50 mg per day. I combine it with Paracetamol 500 mg. Some days  I can manage with half a capsule 25 mg Tramadol and Paracetamol. There is also Ultracet available here which is combination tablet containing 37,5 mg tramadol/325 mg paracetamol. I you can go 'cold turkey' fine. Otherwise my advice lower you tramadol dose ASAP  and combine it with paracatamol. Your dosage 800 mg per day is a very high. All the side effecs indicate this. BTW drink lots of coffee (no sugar!) it helps. Best of luck. Bangkok-Johnnie

• Posted

Hi BJ

At the end of the day it makes me wonder how Tramadol can be got so easily & also with the side effects, and there are a lot, erection disfunction, tinnitus, addiction to name a few, that it is still given to people. I did not even know I was addicted until recently. Anyway I will not be taking it ever again. That is one bad monkey on your back

• Posted

Hi Mike, you know Tramadol can affect an erection, so if you get off that med and then you'll be able to have a normal erection also it's cut with an SSRI which is an antidepressant so it might be messing up with your system my suggestion is to give someone your pills if you're having a problem cutting down and cut one pill out a week and drink lots of water and get exercise, get off Trams also we careful cause high doses can cause a seizure

• Posted

Hi DeeDee

I had that small erection problem as well, and you are right about what you said, it will all get better, I know, found out recently, lol.

• Posted

Firstly mate your not alone ..

I am hooked on these things aswell ,along with thousands of other people ..

These things make you feel good most of the time ,but I also noticed if you go to far with them you'll get the anxiety and depression ..I was taking too many and weened myself down to 300 mg it wasn't easy but I feel a bit better for it ..

It's a gradual process ,but if you can cut down it's a start

• Posted

Hi Michael 800mg is a lot. Your tolerance must have been gradual, as I can't imagine you could have taken that amount in the beginning. Can you try cutting down the amount. I take 200mg twice every other day, however I know I'm also hooked. I can manage a day without them but no longer. I suffer sweats too. I did try going 2 days without but had very restless jumpy legs and started shaking.

Pam45968

• Posted

How're you coping now pal? it's a horrible thing to go through and I know myself because 6 months ago I was posting about the same thing. I was getting 60 x 50mg tabs from my gp, taking them within a week and the getting more by other sources. I couldn't find the energy to take my kids to the park without having my dose. I was a wreck if I didn't have my tramdol. I had a week off work when I ran out of my last batch. I decided to come clean to my girlfriend and explain how bad I was, hell, i told my whole family. luckily I had 5 days to recover before I had to start work again. I took that time to tell my gp and make sure I'd never get them prescribed to me again. it wasn't easy and I still think about them every day but the thing is, THERE IS LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL. You're probably worried that the person you were on tramdol was the best version of you . that you won't be as cheery and outgoing as you were on the pill. that is true for the first week or so, but see it through and you'll be yourself again . the cravings as you know them will turn to a niggling where you feel you'd fancy a pill but it is NOTHING compared to what you get when your body is fighting for it. I'm at the other end now and I remember reading posts here and thinking I'd never get there, but I did and YOU WILL! keep strong my friend.

• Posted

Hi Anthony, thanks for your reply.  I am so happy for you getting off the Tramadol.  Im scared and embarrassed to tell my GP.  I feel he will be so disappointed in me, as I appear to be such a sensible, outgoing person; which is a facade!  You see I'm prescribed 2 x 50mg 4 times a day, instead I take 4 x 50mg pills twice every other day. However reading many of the comments on this site, it would appear that I'm not taking anywhere near as much as some poor people.  That doesn't mean I'm not hooked.  The days I take them I cannot eat, and I smoke about 20 cigs. (Like I used to when I drank alchahol). I don't drink now as I would be frightened to mix both. Having been taking these awful tabs for approx 10 years, I don't get the buzz I used to. But they do rule my life; I take them Tues, Thurs, Sat and half the dose on Monday, as I cannot go 2 days without getting withdrawals.  I take my first dose around 2pm, so I can get a small breakfast in; but if we're out shopping, I start to panic if the time is getting near 2pm! The days I don't take them, I am very tired, jumpy and very down. I wish I had the strength to come off them. I don't smoke on the days I don't take them, so I'm sure I could quit smoking too if I could get off the darn things...

• Posted

Hi Michael, I hope I'm not too late replying to you. I really don't think coming off Tramadol cold turkey is a good idea. It will be so hard that its more than likely you won't succeed. A lot depends on your age and your health. It will be much more sensible to come off gradually.  It still won't be easy, but the ill effects will be much less severe and you will be more likely to succeed.  If you have more courage than me you can do it with your GP's help.  Good luck..

• Posted

Hello guys ,sorry i've not been around to reply to most of your comments but i have been reading them daily . all these past days since i put up this post i've tried several ways to quit,i did cold turkey for 2 days and could't continue ,tried cutting down from 800mg to 400mg daily and had some more effects but i could handle that though i went back to the 800mg per day due to stress on personal issues.

After reading all the comments here and alot more on other sites on the internet ,i have decided to go Cold Turkey from Tomorrow Thursday 1st of December.The past 2 weeks has been hell for me trying to cope with the depression and other site effects ,but today was the worst day of all.I get almost all the effects of tramadol but mostly sweating and depression and today my girlfriend whom i have been dating for 4 years left me temporally because of what the pill has made me become ,she doesn't know i take tramadol so she feels i have just changed completely and today she told me she is giving me 30 days to fix things up and be like before or she'll leave for good which i accepted and we agreed on that.

I am using this as an opportunity to quit for good and i don't think i have the time to tapper down the dose so i'm going Cold Turkey ,I know its not going to be easy as i've read ,i know its going to be the worst period of my life ,but i think its worth it not just for my relationship but for myself. The most part of which i'm scared of is seizures ,i've never had any seizures before since i started taking tramadol for more than a year now and i won't want to have it during the Cold Turkey coz i'll be alone almost all the time.

If anyone knows of some meds or anything that can assist cold the side effects and help e carry on the cold Turkey ,i'll appreat the info.

I know bringing out certain personal issues like this might not be the right thing to do ,but i urgently need help and its worth it ,I hope someone feels my pains and helps me out if they can.

Thanks to everyone for the previous comments ,I really feel much better knowing i'm not alone on the hook and seeing all the comments.

I will be posting about my experience and progress everyday .

Thanks alot everyone

Mike

• Posted

Anyway that was annoying I just typed out a whole bunch of stuff and they put my comment under moderation who knows why anyway I just want to let you know that I'm really proud of you I'm gonna be praying for you I make sure to get electric blanket that really helps a whiff you wrap your body in it to try to sleep a a lot of magnesium that helps with the restless body do at least five hot baths you know every couple hours a lots of Tylenol I took add Advil p.m. to help me sleep aalso exercise I could not believe how much exercise help even if you run like 15 minutes up the street and back it helps immensely drink tons of lemon water and let me know how you're doing I'm praying for you Soon that monkey on your back will be dead, i'm on 25 days clean and I feel amazing and you are going to feel the same you get your life back and you get to be the same you Godspeed

• Posted

Hi mike

Read my day 1 - 7 of cold turkey. Might help. Good luck. Been off for 17 days now, no substitute meds. Just my sleep is still a bit weird but proving. You kick the tram and things will improve. You do what is best for you.

• Posted

Hi Mike ,I feel your pain .

I also am hooked on these awful tramadol ,I have been taking them since 2014 .

I started with taking just one 50 mg tab a day which made me feel great .For a year or so that's all I needed to feel better ..of course over time the dose has crept up to achieve the same effect ..although not massively to the extent your on ..I need at least 200 mg to stay sane ..I was however on around 400 mg at one stage ...The restless leg syndrome was the worst thing for me it was awful ,and trying to sleep was a nightmare ..

And the anxiety even worse at times .

I went cold turkey for about 3 days back in August whilst I was away on a mini break ..The first day wasn't too bad ,until it was time to go to bed ..restless hips and legs kicked in big time ! Anyway I pushed through the night (somehow) ..The next morning I got up feeling crap ,but went and had breakfast ,after that I decided to go for a walk ,and after about half an hour I actually felt great to the point of a natural high ..I thought to myself jeez iv cracked it ..I can do this !

Unfortunately the feeling didn't last and I was getting the anxiety creeping back ,along with the depression ..Anyway I pushed myself to carry on with no trams for the whole day ..until the night time and gave in to a tramadol to sleep ..The next day was much better I managed OK with none again ...but the night was to much without again ,so I gave in again ..

Anyway I'm back up to 4 a day again ,but I will be pushing myself to go cold turkey again soon as I know with a bit more will power it can be conquered ...Good luck Mike stick with it and try not to give in ..it can be done with a fight ....Tony

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.