Ankle leg and hip pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've just been told I have arthritis in my spine I get pains walking like I've got lego bricks in my show I walk on my toes or drag my foot . Some days I cry with pain as it's getting worse sleepless nights cuz can't sleep for the pain all dr ever does is try these painkillers can I ask to be referred to an orthopaedics as I don't feel my doctor is taking my pains seriously I've even cried in front of him cuz in pain

Thanks in advance for any advice

3 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

It is a personal choice to take opiates for pain or not but it may be that that is the only way to control your pain. What do you think you'll get from a Orthopaedic dr? I am not suggesting that you not see one. I think you should see every expert in the field to try to fix the problem, but you may have to come to terms with the idea that it may not be fixable. And please don't get frustrated at your doctor. There are thousands of chronic pain patients out there that are wanting the opiates to control the pain but their doctors won't give it to them.

• Posted

Hi Diana

Dry your tears...all of us with arthritis have had a similar experience, so you are now among others who understand.

Ask your GP for a referral to a rheumatologist.

Also ask your GP to measure the length of both legs.

In the meantime, as your GP to do blood tests including a Rheumatoid Factor, and a ESR so that the rheumatologist will have this information when you see the rheumatologist.

Ask your GP about taking an NSAID, non steroidal anti inflammatory drug, such as ibuprofen-Motrin to reduce the inflammation

Also ask your GP about taking acetaminophen 500 mg every six hours around the clock.

A caution: never take an NSAID and aspirin concurrently

A second caution: Never take acetaminophen or another product that contains acetaminophen dosed less than 6 hours.

I have had juvenile rheumatoid arthritis since I was 11 years old. My 54 years of arthritis knows exactly what it like to drag a leg or a foot. I personally do not like to take narcotics for the pain. I reserve narcotics for pain that is a 7 on the 1-10 pain scale because when I need a narcotic I need my body to respond ti the narcotic by reducing the pain. For me, narcotics are a last resort, very temporary solution.

Diana, please try to give more information about your pain...where in your leg, does your heel hurt, is it both legs, is it one foot, what does it feel like when you first awaken...

Have you tried a heating pad? Have you tried ice? How about elevation of your feet higher than your heart?

When we lose sleep, pain increases. Sleep is the time our body can heal and calm and rest. In preparation for sleep our body releases Melatonin. But today we have so many lights on and televisions and cell phones that the release of melatonin is inhibited. My neurologist suggested that I take Melatonin 3 mg two hours before bedtime. It took a bit of time to become effective, but now I sleep restfully.

kind regards

• Posted

Thank you for your kind words and advice I've an appointment Wednesday will let you know what me and dr spoke about but will take to him some of your advice has I find helpful .

pains in my back travel down from my right hip down my leg into my ankle and of the sole of my ankle

My knee sometimes swollen hurts more when elevated

Sometimes my right wrist and thumb locks which can be annoying as I'm right handed

• Posted

Perhaps you will mention that you think you have sciatica, that is the pain down your leg into the foot. If you have arthritis, it is possible that you have an inflammation at the Greater Sciatic Foramen....mine goes haywire every once in a while too.

hugs

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.