Selincro - nalmefene - side effects still

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi guys, firstly I am not under the doctor, so I am looking to your expertise.  I have been taking Selincro for 18 months and it really does work, my units have gone from an average of 60 per week to 44 in the first year to 30 so far this year.  However, I still feel very peculiar whenever I do take it, irritable and my face tingles a bit like pins and needles.  I dislike this so much that if I know I will only have 1 drink or only 3 I do not take a tablet, I only take it when I know I might go over the top.  I have a large supply (lasting even longer as I so rarely take it) so I want to know if there is anyone out there who has had these effects but got rid of them somehow?  Thank you for any help or advice you can offer.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Em,

Firstly, I am SO happy to hear that this has worked so well for you.  Amazing, isn't it?

Sadly, there are issues with regards to side effects and I have heard many in your position say that it causes them to not always take the tablet.  This could cause you issues simply because the brain will start to relearn that endorphin release whilst drinking is so hard to reduce.

There is a similar opioid blocking medication called naltrexone that has the same mechanism as nalmefene, but with much less side effects.  If you switched to that, you would most likely find it no issue whatsoever to take it every time prior to drinking.

I will PM you.

• Posted

It does work so well, I am amazed!  It works so well that I am confident that I can go out and have just one drink, dont want or need another one!  If I plan not to take a tablet I set a reasonable limit, if I think I'll go over this then I take a tablet, a bit late but the side effects seem easier then!  I only take in advance if we are out on the razzle as it were where in the old days I would go totally over the top, so I hardly ever need them maybe that's why it always seems like the first time!! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.