Does diabetes affect my kidneys?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am just looking for some help support and advice really.

I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes in May this year.

I am getting recurrent urine infections which are not responding to the antibiotics so I am having to change my antibiotics.

I know that I have horseshoe kidneys (they are joined together) and am concerned that my diabetes is affecting my kidneys.

I am seeing GP at end of next week.

I am 66 years old.

I have joined Diabetes UK and am in touch with them.

Any help and support would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sarah

2 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello Sarah, unfortunately as far as I know yes it can affect your kidneys, this could be that you are still eating too much sugar foods you would be surprised where they put sugar these days or it can be that you need a different tablet, but either way you should see your doctor to get help which you are doing. Good Luck with it all Sue
  • Posted

Hello, I'm having the exact same difficulties with my mom. Recent type II diabetes, refuting infections not helped with antibiotics.

I put her on a strict li carb, organic diet. NO CHEATING, hardly any fruit. Mostly veggies and meat. This helped reduce the needs for meds, which have bad side effects. Read about your meds!

Since the antibiotics didn't work, and caused fungal infections, I treated with herbs, Berberine, citrus bergamot, oregano oil, parsley, D-mannose, Relora. Important to dose properly and take with food so they don't irritate the stomach. Also acupuncture helps. I suspect the recurring kidney infections are the source of both the UTIs and the diabetes.

• Posted

Please let me know if you find anything else that works. I also sent you a PM with the original and a few more details. 

I feel like we're maintaining but recovery is slow, even though we've done so much. Everything I observe is that kidney function is super important and if not healthy can cause decreased brain function and dime that. So when she's feeling well, she also thinks way better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.