Converted to Open surgery have questions

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm 7 weeks out from gallbladder surgery that was converted to open from laparoscopic due to the gallbladder being stuck into liver by a thick rind of omentum which was taken down one layer at a time. (Anyone know what that is?)

It was a difficult operation and I am still very weak and have pain in sternum area, (sharper) location of gallbladder (aching), back under right shoulder blade (constant) and right abdomen along ascending colon (soreness).

Also had opening along incision from fat necrosis which is shrinking but still open about ½" x 3cm deep.

Anyone relate to this kind of pain, know how long till one feels normal again or has any other information that might help me?

I just want to heal and live my life.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I a so sorry you are in such pain. What has your Sugeon diagnosis to resolve these issues? I am. Aware that an open surgery has a loner recovery time. My gallbladder was stuck on my stomach. I am now 1 day post op, however most of my discomfort now is around the stomach area. It's been hard to sleep at night. My next appointment with Surgeon is 2 weeks out. He prescribed daulodid, which is a form of morphine. Works pretty fair. My question to your Surgeon is what else he can do to re diagnose your new issues. Open surgery requires at least 8 weeks total recovery, however it seems you have on going issues. Keep us posted on your condition, and God Bless you. Hang in there!

• Posted

I'm sorry to learn that you're in such pain.  Your operation was very complicated.  Did your surgeon give you post op instructions?  If not, you call call and request them from the office.

Also, open surgery is the most difficult to recover from.  Everyone heals at different rates.  It is very important that you give yourself sufficient time to heal.  What's visible on the outside will heal sooner.  But what's on the inside, and for you it seems as if it could be a pretty complicated network of interrelated stitches, will take lots longer--probably months.  How you heal depends on many things, including your overall health and age.  

Try to be patient and not over do it.  Having one's gallbladder removed is major surgery!  

Let us know how you do!

• Posted

Thank you for your kind answers. I did have instructions upon hospital release. I was there for 7 days. I am 60 and was in otherwise good health. However, I don't know anyone whom has had open surgery like this and with a 14 inch incision, I haven't read anything like my surgery online either. So I'm a little lost and a lot anxious in what I should be feeling and worried that there might be more wrong. I had a bile leak so I have two plastic stents which are causing some of my pain and they don't come out until January, three months after they were put in. There was no damage to the bile duct, just the leak and so I don't know if the stents have to remain in the full three months. I'd like them out as soon as possible. I will try to be more patient in my eagerness to recover and return to normal and I'd like to check back in here as I continue to recover. Thanks again for any input!

• Posted

Thanks for letting us know how you're doing.  You've had quite an ordeal!  No wonder your worried about what else could go wrong!  

Please try to be patient and accepting.  You will find that the healing may have it's ups and downs, but you'll do better if you "keep an even keel!"  smile

• Posted

I went to the gastroenterologist to consult on when the stents that were put in could be removed and she told me to come into the hospital the next day and she would take them out! So I signed in the next day and several hours later was informed that both the biliary stent and the stent between the old stomach and gastric bypass pouch were successfully removed. But while under anesthesia, they managed to damage my upper lip to where it looked like I got kicked in the mouth and my neck and upper back are both in a lot of pain. This is the #1 hospital in NY and every step of the way I have had problems! The pathology on my GB came back, along with stones and lymph nodes and the report says I had a very rare condition of the gallbladder called Xanthogranulomatous cholecystitis and that was present in all the samples submitted Has anyone else had this condition? I am on clear liquids, liquids 2 days, soft foods 2 days and finally food on 5th day to let the stitches in stomach heal. I was not told this prior and was not prepared for this eventuality. Communication is not great at NYP Weill Cornell. Additionally, my right side, next to the open incision still hurts. Wondering if this is from the moving of my internal organs to remove the gallbladder. This pain is next to the ascending colon, not high up where the gallbladder was, which is also still tender. Anyone know what this is? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.