Bunion and hammertoe surgery in January

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi Everyone. I'm brand new to the forum. I am having surgery in January and reading stuff here is terrifying me! I really need the surgery as my toes cross over making it almost impossible to find shoes or walk very far. Does anyone have any advice or encouragement for me? suggestions on how to get through it or how I manage when my husband has no idea how to be a nurse, clean house, take care of the animals and feed us all.? Thanks!

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Arlene, you just made me laugh. I also have a husband who is not much in the nursing stakes but he did rise to the challenge. I had bilateral bunion surgery on June 6th this year and I can recommend filling the freezer, make sure you have snack food for the first week or 2 so you can take the strong painkillers, I ate bananas, crackers and yogurt (not all at the same time). If you have friends nearby arrange for them to visit regularly and keep you company as you won't be able to do anything but put your feet up. The 1st fortnight is tough with pain and trying to get to the toilet, you'll need a shower stool, you can rent one. Beg and borrow lots of books, dvds, cds, learn a new language, anything to pass the time. You can get a cleaner in once a week so you don't feel any homicidal tendencies towards your husband, looking after you and the animals is the most important thing. I had physio to help me build up my strength after 6 week check-up, your leg muscles will atrophy and become weak, now I can do everything I could do pre-op and only have pain when I'm on my feet too much. Best of luck and a quick recovery.

• Posted

Hi Debbie,

Glad i gave yu a laugh. he he I don't have many friends nearby and my family is three hours away. Hopefully my son who lives an hr north of me and my daughter who lives almost two hours south can spend some time with me. I worry about the animals because we rescue/rehome animals and have more than most people do. OUr current menagerie includes: 7 cats and a few more outside ferals we feed; 3 large dogs, 2 ferrets, and 3 domestic ratties. We also feed the outside anmals, i.e., birds, squirrels, raccoons, deer, etc. We usually split their care and that will HAVE to be his responsibility totally for a while, although I am sure the cats will visit. My bedroom is upstairs and it's probably just as well I don't see what's going on downstairs. I'm sure you know what I mean. There's a site online called Udemy. It has all types of online courses about all kinds of stuff. I'm signed up for several classes and now i will have time to finish some of them. If you are not familiar with it, I'd advise you to check it out. It's amazing! I have books but usually read my Kindle so I will make sure to download lots of material. I also review books for an LGBT site called Rainbow Book Reviews. That keeps me busy; I won't lack for things to do. I guess I can bring a cooler upstairs to put drinks and such in. Hopefully, my husband will remember to check on me. LOL I have a neighbor who cleans houses and she will probably help my husband if he will let me ask her. Maybe I can get him to take my computer upstairs. It's a MAC so it isn't as complicated as if it were a PC. At least he knows how to do laundry but he's not much on cooking. I'm vegetarian so that complicates food a bit. I will stock up on things I can eat and probably have to plan out a list for him. Otherwise he can call out for food or go pick it up. Your post is encouraging and helped me get my mind in gear Thanks, so much for your reply!  I'll be sure to let you know how I do. Happy Thanksgiving!

• Posted

I'm vegetarian too and husband isn't, wasn't a big issue as I lost my appetite for 6 weeks and was on short rations-not something I'm familiar with as usually have a great appetite. I needed the surgery too, if anything it was overdue, and though it's a long old road this recovery I am now in a position to say I'm glad I had it. There's a great facebook page, I survived a bunionectomy, lots of people on there in your position or weeks, months ahead with wonderful advice and experiences to share. You'll find all your questions answered there and, once again, good luck, anyone who fosters, adopts animals and feeds wildlife is on my wavelength and I wish you well.

• Posted

Hi. If you are having both feet done at same time it will be a bit tough I think. I had one foot done at the time. First few weeks hurt and very uncomfortable after that not too bad. Start training your husband. Mine was rubbish helping around the house 1st foot, fully trained by the 2nd. It's a long recovery period so don't be disheartened if they don't recover quickly. There is a facebook 'I survived bunions' or something but I came off that as people were putting pics of their scars and wounds which was is revolting and unnecessary. This forum was much more supportive. Good luck.

• Posted

I am only having my left foot done right now. The right foot isn't that bad yet but I'll probably have to have it done sometimes in the future. Not thinking about that right now. This is the first sight I've run on to but I agree, I'm not interested in seeing someone's 'scars'! Perhaps I should have asked for advice on how to 'train' my husband. LOL He's nearly 70 but I guess I can 'teach' him a few things. LOL razz Thanks for your reply! It seems I need to add this group to my list of 'blessings' this Thanksgiving!

• Posted

Haha I think the husband training was the most stressful. It does hurt ..a lot.. but the results of walking pain free are so worth the op. I wish I had found this site prior to my operations I would have not worried so much and just accepted it takes time to heal. At times you might feel dispondent about it all but don't panic.

• Posted

I havent had many issues now that i am at the 8 week mark. I am concerned on if i will ever walk the same, but there is no pain
    • Posted

I'm relieved to hear that. It's probably too soon to worry about walking the same. I'm hoping NOT to walk the same, i.e., with no pain or soreness. I've already been through a full knee replacement so that's not a fear of mine. Thanks for the reply and Happy Thanksgiving!

• Posted

Good Luck to you! it is worth it in the end. smile Happy Thanksgiving!

• Posted

Arlene, sounds as though you are going to have things under control.  I am having a bunionectomy and big toe fusion on January fifth.  My husband is pretty good around the house and takes directions well.  I'm going to put lots of food in the freezer and I have lots of friends who will bring food, visit, etc. so I will be ok, just dreading the time stuck in the house as I'm very active.  At least it will be winter and it's a good time to stay inside and be cozy.  Good luck!

Brenda

• Posted

Hi Arlene

I am 8 weeks into my recovery and felt the same as yourself this site is very helpful.

I struggled at first as the best thing was to keep your feet elevated and rested as much as possible. I had both feet done was in surgical shoes for 6 weeks and used ice packs for the swelling. Stock up on meals books and films .teach the family to help out you will need the help in the first month. Gets alot easier Im going back to work next week .I can get into shoes and boots again. Worth it in the end .you need alot of patience .good luck.

Charlotte xx

• Posted

If only I could train my furry children to help me I'd have it made! LOL I know my husband will do his best. I'm going to struggle to stay in bed as well. I hate being confined but have no choice in this case. Thanks, so much for your reply! <3

• Posted

Hi Arlene. I too am having surgery on both bunions in January. Perhaps we can support each other?
    • Posted

That sounds like a great idea, Lynn. My surgery is towards the end of January 21st? i think. I'd have to check for certain but I will accept all the support I can get! <3

• Posted

Mine's on the 11th so hopefully I can support you. I'll be really positive and I promise no horror stories!!! 😊

• Posted

I need to put the dates on my calendar so, with your permission, I can send you or anyone else who needs it healing. I am a certified Reiki Healing Touch M/T.
    • Posted

As a bunion scarf akin astronomy veteran, please feel free at any time to ask questions/support. I am week 12 getting better for 2nd op and every day gets easier. The 1st foot I tried to do everything too quickly. 2nd foot I gave into nature.
    • Posted

so...the advice everyone is trying to give me is be a good girl and stay off my foot for as long as I am supposed to, right? ha ha I'm going to try my best to do that. I may need you to remind me more than once that it will get better. Thanks for the reply!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.