Elderly man very consitpated - when does it become dangerous?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am writing on behalf of my 77 year old husband as I am his carer. He has very bad constipation, partially due to his appaling diet - he has very little else to eat apart from the Fortisips and buys additional ones to the ones perscribed. We have seen a dietician who was very helpful and I did try to implement her suggestions but he would not co-operate. We had the emergency GP out a few weeks ago, and he was 5* and talked us through how to prevent it happening again with the Cosmocol sachets. But husband won't co-operate although at times he is in unbearale pain. We went to GP yesterday for the pain and GP did full exam and said my husband was very consipated and might have to have a stronger enema given in hopsital  - he also menioned needing to get on top of it as in very worst cases it could result in surgery for removal of part of the bowel. Husband was supposed to have 4 sachets of Cosmocol last night but only had one. He did use the Enema but nothing happened. He will hopefully use the second one later. I am at my wits end. To be honest, not sure if husband has mental capacity as I have tried to explain, as has the dietician and the two GP.s but he just wont take our advice. His breath smells really horrible. Thanks for reading - just waiting for him to collapse and end up in A and E. Is there anything left to try? I have to get him back to the GP later this week if nothing has happened but I imagine then it will be hospital for an enema. What happens then? HOw long is he likely to be kept in hospital. Thanks for reading - just wondered if anyone else has had similar experiences and how they coped.    

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I had to look up the nutritional drink. Try celery seed found at the grocer
  • Posted

Hi,

I'm really sorry to hear you're both going through so much, mentally you'll both be at your wits end no doubt with the constant struggle.

Personally I don't think I'll be able to help a great deal but to give us all more of an idea.

Do you know whether his stools are too soft or too hard?

Do you know why he won't cooperate? Maybe that could help us help you. Is he simply stubborn or has he given up.

You mentioned he barely eats. Is he underweight do you think or in the health region?

I think these answers could help us

• Posted

I sympathise with you. It's very hard to help a loved one if they refuse to cooperate....I started this thread because I was having constipation after a recent surgery...I read-up on treatments and have implemented them with success...I eat a lot of fiber and fruit, ie. apples & pears, that help my bowels form stools and push them along..In addition, I drink several cups of Hot Coffee in the morning, ie. Hot Water, Hot Coffee, Hot Tea, any Hot Liquid helps the bowels move, as well as, other and extra liquid taken throughout the day..Also, I take stool softeners and even enemas, if necessary so that I can have a BM at least every other day...Also, I try to eat a balanced and full diet including a complete meal, but, a lot of times, I'm not very hungry...It's hard making a dinner for just one person so I eat out ~ 2 times per week with both meat and vegetables...Try to get your husband to do the above...It's not healthy for him to continue to act the way he is....I'll pray for you and your husband...

• Posted

Thanks for your comments. I think husband just does not have much of an appetite frankly. His weight went down to 7st10 but is now up to 8st10 thanks to the Fortisips. I am not sure why he won't co-operate but he has always been a very controlling man. I am much younger than he, and I can understand him not taking my advice, but the dietician, GP have said exactly the same and both have been very good. We do go out to lunch but this again is  hit and miss as sometimes he won't eat much and has brought his streak home sometimes - lucky cats! I did wonder if it was maybe some kind of dementia? He is 77. But yes I do feel it will be dangerous if we do not get on top of the build up but frankly there is very little I can do as both GP and Dietician are aware of how difficult it is to get him to co-operate.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.