advice please thyroid lvwering but liver not happy

Posted , 7 users are following.

HI everyone

I live in Beijng and have been diagnosed with Graves Disease.  My blood tets read

TSH( ) <0.005 L mU/L (0.270-4.200)

Trimester-specific reference ranges for TSH (mU/L): First trimester: 0.1 to 2.5 mU/L; Second trimester:0.2 to 3.0 mU/L; Third trimester: 0.3 to 3.0 mU/L.

T3,triiodothyronine( ) 3.23 H nmol/L (1.30-3.10)

T4( ) 148.70 nmol/L (66.00-181.00)

FT4,free thyroxin( ) 30.84 H pmol/L (12.00-22.00)

FT3( ) 10.34 H pmol/L (3.10-6.80) 

The normal ranges are in brackets.

I am taking  thiamazole mediactin for my throid but my liver function tests are now abnormal 

AST( ) 37 H U/L (13-32)

ALT( ) 43 H U/L (7-35)

GGT(Gama ) 53 H U/L (7-36) 

They have doubled in the two weeks I have been taking the medication.  I am also on betablockers for my heart rate and palpitations.  I have been experiencing increased anxiety and I am still always hot.  

Any advice please as to whether I should ask the dr for a different medication? 

Many thanks.  Ruth

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ruth, I have hyperthyroidism and have been taking supplements instead of prescription drugs.  I feel much better and recommend you look into the supplements and vitamins for your thyroid condition and work with your dr.  I wish you good luck. Jeanne . 
  • Posted

Hi Ruth,

After years of wonderful blood test liver function ex...Yes that happened to me also.

After I was diagnosed with Graces started

Methimozol twice daily.

My doctor said go to one pill a day 5 mg

3 weeks later blood test was normal.

I was not on beta blockers my heart rate finally normalized and after one year on medication all my level including thyroid antibodies were normal. Soon I will be off medication and hope I am in remission for good.

Hope this helps.

Tori

• Posted

I would be interested in supplements too however I do not know much about them
    • Posted

Hi,  L-Carnitine is the most important supplement. Google supplements for thyroid and go from there.  If you do decide to take supplements please keep your doctor informed and work together. Mine had some concern with me going the supplement route but my blood tests improved and I never took the prescription for my condition. I do have a mild case of hyperthyroidism.
  • Posted

Hi Spaggy, your body will slowly use up the excess thyroid hormone in your blood stream. Thiamazole only suppresses the production of 'fresh' thyroid hormone. It might take several weeks for your levels to come down to normal range (also depending on the dose of thiamazole). You will gradually feel better and the anxiety will reduce. If you have trouble sleeping at night it might help somewhat to take the thyroid lowering medication in the evening. 

Regarding your liver values: Hyperthyroidism itself often comes along with abnormal liver values. You could read for example the article: Hepatic Dysfunction in Hyperthyroidism.

I just looked up my initial report and the values you mentioned were all raised. 

ALT 102 iu/L [<40], AST 44 iu/L [<40], GGT 70 iu/L [<55]. Also bilirubin was above the normal range. For reference my initial FT4 was 61.6 pmol/L [10-20]. 

Also my neutrophils where below normal range. Still, at the recommandation of my endcrinologist I ended up taking Carbimazole (also known as Thiamazole) for almost 2 years. However, my dose got reduced as my thyroid values came back to normal range.  

Nevertheless, if you are concerned or if you start to feel nauseous you should discuss it with your doctor. Very important: If you develop a fever, sore throat, sore gums, or mouth ulcers, you have to go back urgently for a blood test to check your white blood cell count. 

• Posted

The same thing happened to me the first month I started methimazole. Once your liver adapts and starts eliminating the drug your liver should go back down. give it some time, if it doesn't come down then ask for a different drug.

• Posted

Thanks everyone for the advice.   I am considering stopping the thyroid medication, keeping up with the beta blockers and trying the supplements and see how I do.  My endo suggested taking medication to help protect my liver but that doesn't sit right with me, taking medicine to counteract another medicine.  My worst symptom was my high heart rate and that's under control so I'm going to give the supplements a try.

• Posted

you could try milk thistle ... it works extremely well to detox the liver and is anti inflammatory ...  no chemical drugs there ...   Google for its benefits good luck .

mx🌹

• Posted

Hi Spaggy, Try taking something for the liver. Milk thistle tea or tablets smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.