confused

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello. I have posted before on this thread, but I have a few questions.. 

In the past I have stopped and started fluoxetine, twice. Each time I have gotten back on it, I have never really had any side effects... I started back extremely slow 20mg for over a month, and am now on 40mg and have been for about 2 weeks. (optimal goal 60mg) However, this time I am noticing some strange effects.. My ears have begun ringing and popping and almost feel like there is pressure inside of them. It isnt non-stop, but the popping and pressure sensation is. I have also noticed that it has increased my anxiety.. Almost to the point of paranoia.. I also take 150mg of lamictal (goal 200mg) I am not sure if the lamictal is contributing or not.. It's hard to tell since I have recently increased both.. This will be my third day on 150mg. Does anyone have any idea of what could be happening? I really don't want to give up on my meds as I know they have worked in the past.. However, I am begininng to feel like they won't work, which is quite depressing and anxiety causing (I have anxiety in the form of intrusive thoughts.. I have never been formally diagnosed but both my GP and Pysch. doctor agree that I have obsessive complusive tendencies. Not that I obsessively clean, but I have Intrusive thoughts. Almost as if a CD is skipping in my head and repeating the same thoughts.. I went back to my reg. GP who represcribed my meds. My GP was intially who prescribed prozac and the lamictal was later added by pysch. I would love to go back to my Pysch. but unfortuantely she moved over 2 hours away. I was on an income based sliding scale with her, as my insurance only covers catastrophic events and medications. I have been looking for pysch. that will accept me, but so far I am having a hard time.. Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi..

I increased to 40mg approx 17 days ago and I noticed this past week I have had a pressure type feeling in my head and also extra anxious. I am putting this down to side effects of prozac as I had the same sort of thing around the 2-3 week mark when I first went onto 20mg. I am expecting by the end of week 4 that this all would have passed.

• Posted

I've been on meds twice and had a different start experience both times.  The second time it took much longer to kick in - but they worked.

I always say, if the meds worked for you before then they'll work again.  They might take longer and you might feel different to start with - but they'll work.  

Intrusive thoughts are often a result of anxiety and / or the meds.  As you recover they'll go.  Anxiety can also get worse before it gets better, so try and go with it and tell yourself that your body is adjusting to the meds, so you're bound to feel all sorts of weird and wonderful things at the moment.

Its hard to be patient, but patience does pay off in the end.

K x

• Posted

Thank you! I know that 60mg of Prozac did the trick last time! So hopefully when I up my dosage, it will begin to really kick in. I believe that the minimum therapeutic dose for lamictal is 200mg (which is what I will start taking on Sunday) I'm getting there finally! I could've increased the Prozac sooner( my doctor said every 2 weeks I could increase) but I wanted to be safe about it! Lol

That's what I try to keep reminding myself about! If they worked before, they will work again! Thank you for your thoughtful advice! It's very much appreciated!

• Posted

It does take a while to feel the effects - I lost heart a few times but also kept telling myself that they'll work again.  I knew they would.  I don't know about Lamictal - is that for anxiety?  Yes best to ease onto Prozac - slower the better too.

Good luck and hope you begin to feel well again soon.  You will - I know it.

K x

• Posted

Thank you! Lamictal is an anti-epileptic. But it is also used as a mood stabilizer. My former physc. Added it to help boost the Prozac. When I first had intrusive thoughts, I was in a much worse place. I was 17 & had a lot of difficulties at the time. I didn't know what was going on and why I was feeling and thinking the way I was. I am gonna hang in & push on!

• Posted

Ah I see - so I expect its for short term maybe?

I had intrusive thoughts when I was first ill (many years ago when I was 20).  I also didn't know what was going on and was very scared and confused.  I've long since recovered thanks to help of SSRI's.

Yes hang on in there and persevere - you'll get there xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.