Stopped taking Mirtazapine 15mg. Nightmare.

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had a period of bad anxiety and depression a year ago and my GP suggested 15 mg of this to go with Citalopram. I have been back at work for 10  months and quite well for most of that time. I recently had to start two different tablets for something else and decided to stop the Mirtazapine because I thought I was on a low dose. First week, no problems. Second week is a nightmare. Incredibly bad depression and some anxiety. Did the research and realised why. Started the tablets again at a half dose for the last three days and back to see the doc tomorrow for advice. Anyone done the same thing or offering any advice would be good. I,ve struggled to get through work this week.

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Docs seem to think it's no problem, but actually it's very hard to taper of these pills. A 10% taper is recommended, but some people can go faster.

Why not reinstate the full dose, and start tapering from there? If you are determined to not reinstate the full dose, 11,25 mg might do. (3/4) It's still a big step though, so it might take some time to get back to your normal self.

• Posted

I think the GP will probably suggest going back to the 15mg. I just hope it starts to do it's job quickly. I'd just got used to being well again and then this happens. I wish I had read up about stopping before I did. I just didn't give any thought to it being a potential problem. My plan is to reinstate my 15mg dose, hopefully get better and then start to reduce very slowly, as you suggest 10% reductions at a time, although I'm not sure how you can do that with tablets. I think the lowest strength tablet is 15mg which can be snapped in half, but how can you reduce a tiny snapped tablet any further.

• Posted

You can be creative with a knife, microscale or a pill crusher. There are even instructions for making a liquid from pills even. Instructions are somewhere on this forum.
    • Posted

I have a pill spicer that can cut it in half and then again to get a 1/4 tab.
  • Posted

Im currently taking 15 mg and looking to keep weening off of it, I was prescribed it for depression and insomnia. It helped with sleep some but has made me feel groggy most days and has had numerous other side effects. My only problem was that I stayed on it so long just for some help with sleep, it did nothing for my depression and I can't wait to finally get off it.

• Posted

Easily done John, sorry for your suffering, there just isn't any advice 'out there' to follow. I think you're right to reinstate. If you want to taper I would do so carefully, read up for an informed choice firstly, click on my name & follow the links under my status.

I hope you settle back soon after the reinstate, sometimes it takes a few days, but you will be ok, just needs a little time.

Wishing you well

• Posted

Everyone reacts differently to each medication so it's hard to tell how you'll do but just like Calmer said try to make those most informed decision that you can for yourself.

• Posted

Hi john,Calmehas some great advice on how to taper and Granto has great advise for stopping it and seeing it through.

There both gave me tremendous advice whilst I was going through hell!

There is light at the end of the nunnel,I know how hard this is to believe when your in the thick of it.

Read there forums,there advice is so reassuring!

I've recently turned the corner and it took me 7weeks,I've got the old me back.

Good luck on your journey to Recovery!

• Posted

Thanks to everyone for your advice. It is very reassuring to here from people who are doing well in their recovery and good to know that there is advice from the real experts ie those who have been through it. I realise now that GPs have good intentions but are really guessing quite a bit when they prescribe. I'm hanging on at work this week, but really struggling so I hope reinstating at 7.5mg will start to alleviate symptoms. Off to the doc this afternoon. I'm guessing she will say go up to the 15mg I was on until stopping it nearly three weeks ago now. I'll post again soon.

• Posted

Went to the GP today. She thought my horrendous symptoms of depression and some anxiety were due to stopping taking something which was alleviating my symptoms and helping to keep me well, as well as withdrawl symptoms. She suggested that I reinstate to 15mg and is quite confident my symptoms will subside in a week or two. She then suggests that I give it a period of being well before starting to taper. She also told me that she has had many patients who have moved from 15mg and higher, down to 7.5mg, then to 3.75mg and then to 0 without any or only mild withdrawl symptoms. Guess I will follow her advice and think about tapering sometime next year.
    • Posted

You have a very good GP,

Take her advice she knows what she's talking about,

I wish everything GP had this knowledge.

• Posted

Hope you settle back on to Mirt soon John.  If you are wanting to quit Mirt by tapering slowly, for a full informed choice read the links under my status before maybe making a steady plan - click on my name and you see see the links.

There is advice there to make a liquid from Mirt Sol Tabs, this is a real help to enable smaller cuts.  If you are thinking of reinstating, it might be a good idea, and I think it will settle you also, to not go right back to 15 mg, but to go to say 12.5 mg.

Doctors will always tell you its ok to go to 7.5 to 3.75 to zero ... I've not met anyone yet who didn't struggle with that method.  Doctors ugh ... !!

Wishing you well.

• Posted

Hi Calmer it's vikki,

I thought my symptoms were going after the Anxiety shifted on Monday,but I was a little to eager,

My insomnia is worse then ever and it's now 7 weeks.

I didn't want to unsettle anyone by retracting my statement,if anything I hoped my blog(saying it had gone) gave someone a bit of light at the end of the tunnel hoping mind over matter helps!

I'm keeping check on everyone's recovery,hoping I recover too.

I won't be too eager to jump next time,that's if there is,OMG I'm a so worried.

• Posted

Are you taking anything for the insomnia Vikki?  Some people take Phenergen for a few weeks, avalable over the counter, or even Benadryl (drowsy), I think you can take one or two of these, or maybe one before bed time and one if you're wide awake say 3-4 am.  

& weeks is quite a way, pity to reinstate, although some do, no shame in it, just depends how well you can cope.

Some people with insomnia in WD listen to the hinest guys on you tube, find their soothing meditations - what to do in the middle of the night - its so earrie and still and you just lye there, so hard, been there, sorry for you to suffer with this.  x

• Posted

Hi Calmer..thanks for replying,

I was prescribed Zopiclone two weeks ago,they don't want to give me another script and I understand why,

I run out of my Zopiclone on Sunday,I'm not looking forward to it one bit.

I tried Extra Strength Sleep Aid but it didn't touch me,

I'm going to give Benadryl a go,it could be different to the sleep aid,

I can't cope with the no sleep as I still can't get to sleep the next night.

It's so bloody frustrating!

• Posted

Very difficult for you I'm sure, I feel for you - I had insomnia for months and that's why I went on Mirt' - my biggest fear when I come off it !  I tried Zopiclone but it only allowed me to sleep about 3-4 hours.

Hope the Benadryl works for you, hang on in there, I understand sleep returns slowly for those affected.

• Posted

I had to come off the Fluoxetine as I was feeling terrible and dizzy all day with it. I'm still taking 15 mg of Mirtazapine and hope I can stick with it but I guess we'll see. The insomnia is the thing that is the worst of all and I'm hoping it doesn't return too badly.

• Posted

Was the insomnia due to depression?  I understand it can be a symptom.  

From what I understand of Mirt, the 15mg dose is good for insomnia, as is 7.5mg, and the higher doses are usually prescribed for depression - HOWEVER ... such a shame but most folk get an increase in anxiety at 30mg.  Maybe 22.5 is better, not sure.

• Posted

The insomnia was caused by my depression which led to anxiety and finally really bad insomnia. The Mirtazapine helps me sleep but I hate the side effects that I get. Every other drug I have tried added to the Mirtazapine has made me feel worse and feeling like I can hardly function at all so at this point I don't know what to do..

• Posted

What side effects do yo suffer rob??

• Posted

I'm really groggy in the morning and during the day at different periods. I also have stomach issues with it and swallowing food has been really hard also with me having to throw it up sometimes when it gets stuck. I've also become much more reclusive and want to stay in more which was worse with the Fluoxetine and I was dizzy most of the day with it. Don't know if I should increase my dose again or try to tough it out since I've been on 15 mg for 10 days

• Posted

It's kind of been a trade off for better sleep that I've dealt with all the side effects and seems like I can't win because other medications make things worse but I'd like to get off Mirtazapine but can't without insomnia issues coming back.

• Posted

Gosh Robm 10 days isn't very long, I would give it time.  You maybe might be well advised to use Mirt for sleep whilst you deal with the underlying cause, "depression" - are you having any therapy?  CBT is often used now, along with Mindfully based CBT, and meditation.

The swallowing problem - would you say that is a morbid fear?  Do you have a fear of choking?  Its just that morbid fears usually stem from depression also - depression can be so debilitating ... ugh !  

• Posted

Calmer,

Unfortunately I have to admit that I'm my own worst enemy when it comes to medicine because I'm so against them and trying to get them all the time too quickly. I have reinstated the Fluoxetine and I probably should have stayed where I was with the Mirtazapine but what's done is done. I do see a therapist and I don't have a fear of swallowing definitely develop from the Mirtazapine. I have to learn to just accept that I have to take medications for now until I get through this awful period of my life.

Thanks for all your help in me dealing with these medications and hopefully I can't just deal with some of the side effects a little better and take some of the bad things for having better mental health which I don't have at all right now.

• Posted

Each time I get a good day or two which isn't too often I try to rush to get off the medication. Probably what I'm feeling with lack of appetite, more withdrawn and dizziness has all to do with going down on Mirtazapine and nothing or little at all to do with the Fluoxetine but I always castrophize when things go bad and usually overreact even though I haven't felt that great for these 11 days but hopefully I'll feel better soon.

• Posted

Did you previously taper Fluoxetine, slowly?

Taking Mirt at the same time you will need to be careful of serotonin syndrome, did your doc mention this, probablly not - see drugs   .   com for interaction of the two drugs together.  

Hope you find the right balance.  

• Posted

This is my first time taking the Fluoxetine which I took 10 mg for 7 days I've taken 20 mg since Friday and no he didn't mention serotonin syndrome to me so I guess I'll mention it. So I'm currently on 20 mg of Fluoxetine and 15 mg of Mirtazapine. On nights that I have trouble with sleep I can also take 1.0 mg of Clonazepam.

• Posted

On drugs.com it says there is major reaction possible and you shouldn't be on two antidepressants at once, should this be a concern that this is causing these problems that I'm having Calmer? Have you heard anyone have serotonin syndrome before or is it rare?

• Posted

This is why your doctor should have known this ... ask this forum if anyone is taking both of these meds at the same time - I would start another thread, maybe head it Mirtazapine and Fluoxetine - anyone know of this combo .. or something like that.  Also google it, see what you can find.

• Posted

Thanks Calmer I'll ask if anyone in this forum has taken them together before. Still don't have much of an appetite and just feel flat and that I don't care about anything right now but trying to tough it out and see if it passes. I see my doctor Thursday.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.