Flare up

Posted , 6 users are following.

i am now on the 10th day and second course of anti biotics for a diverticular flare up

i have had this dreadful complaint for many years now and it seems each flare up is worse than the last and needs more medication to help

any one tried anything to help prevent it there are lots of articles on the internet but nothing telling me how to try and prevent it

this time I have have rectal bleeding,dreadful pain,bloating,alternate  constipation and diahoreaha,low mood,insomnia generally feeling really ill

i am Female,67,retired,active

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It really is a dreadful condition and so unrecognised by many medical people as a really dibilitating disease. No advice I'm afraid, it's all trial and error re diet, the bloating is aweful, I look six months pregnant at my worst flare ups. I have only been diagnosed for a year and still struggling to come to terms with it. One thing I have done is started taking aleo Vera and that seems to have helped prevent flare ups for me.

keep smiling and enjoy been active as long as you can.

• Posted

Thankyou for taking the time to reply to my post 

I had not heard of aloe Vera for diverticular so that's one I well might try 

it seems to be a bit of a cure all and anything is worth a try to get away from this dreadful pain and bloating and let's face it course after course of anti biotics is no good for anyone 

• Posted

I totally agree with Robert about the Aloe Vera.  Like you (66 female, retired, active when fit enough) I have had this condition for 15 years with flare ups.  The last one started in August and until a week ago I was still suffering with the pain, bloating, multiple BMs.  I took the advice in the forum and started taking 15ml pure Aloe Vera juice from Holland & Barrett twice a day, and within 5 days the bloating has gone and the pain reduced to just a twinge 1st thing before BM number 1.  I went gluten free after the first attack and that has also helped reduce flare ups over the years.

• Posted

Well thats two of you suggested Aloe Vera and as I'm in town tomorrow I will pop into H&B and get some

thanks for looking at my post and taking the time to help 

• Posted

Hi Sally

Suggest you look for the penny offer - buy one get 2nd for 1p.  I find a dose is just one mouthful.  It is bitter but I follow it down with a swallow of water and after a few seconds the taste is gone.  It's worth it for the relief it gives!  Hope it helps you.

• Posted

Hope it works sally, I get mine from Waitrose, anything that helps is a god send, how do you resolve the bloating, I flind that one of the hardest things to deal with. My tummy goes up at least three times bigger.?🤔

• Posted

afraid I have no help with the bloating I think that's one of the worst bits you feel like your going to explode

maybe we all need a little valve on our belly buttons that we could open and let the gas out

now wouldn't that be a good idea hahahahaha

• Posted

I had diverticulitis for 6 years and been through all the meds and fiber speech. Finally went to surgeon and he told me no surgery. He told me to get some Metamucil and you will be fine.

Since that meeting I have had not one flare up and pain free. I take it twice per day.

• Posted

Robert it's called the North American diet. We consume way too much red meat as humans. I was fighting the 25 grams or more per day of fiber and I was having flare ups every 8 weeks and couldn't take the meds anymore. I went to an outstanding surgeon ready to go under the knife and he recommended OTC Metamucil. I was shocked and couldn't believe it that an OTC product could stop it. By George the good old Dr was spot on and I never looked back. I still eat what I want but have cut down on the red meats and I stay away from any greasy foods and no fast food junk.

Hope this helps and best of luck to you young man.

• Posted

Hi Sally,I find eating small meals and taking a soluble fiber supplement to keep me regular like Fybogel and Lepicol is best and drinking plenty of water, the supplements help with constipation and diahroea,
    • Posted

Thankyou for your helpful suggestions I don't drink a lot of water usually so this is a must as it helps so many things...

trouble is I drink I want to go pee that's why I drink less 

silly old me 

• Posted

Ha ha that's funny cos I have an overactive bladder which does get worse when I suffer the runs,it's no fun getting older.

• Posted

as you say no fun getting older but the alternative is pretty dire hahahahaha 
  • Posted

Hi I was diagnosed 2 years ago and it took me at least 1 to calm things down.  I have no real answers apart from that after trying everything imaginable I now try to stay away from all kind of seeds, blueberries, tomatoes, sweetcorn are a no no and I take a really good pro-biotics tablet, bought it from Holland Barrett 3 million in 1 capsule.  I really do believe they help, my GP told me to try them as all the antibiotics we take cause problems, I am bloating less and have lost a few pounds.  Having said that I am just getting over a bout of not too bad pain, caused stupidly by wolfing down a great handful of peanuts, did it without thinking and still have the stinging sharp pains down both sides.  I also drink gallons of water have cut out coffee and eat a good mixture of foods.  I am female and 57 and try to stay active.  I also use buscopan when really bad as this helps me. Hope you feel better soon.
    • Posted

Thankyou so much for replying to my post with your helpful comments I will try what you say

it really is an awful complaint that no one who hasn't got it can understand

"oh you have the tummy ache and the squits how bad can that be"

Extremely bad say all of us who have to live with it

• Posted

Hi there,I've not tried the Buscopan.does it help with cramping and stomach pain  which I get on and off throughout the day.?

• Posted

Hi, that is exactly what it does it relieves the muscle spasms that cause the pain.  I take 2 a couple of times a day when bad and it really works, you can also get colpermin which is for IBS but does a similar thing. If you are UK all supermarkets sell it or you get it on prescription from GP.   I did not find aloe vera helped at all, but I think different things work for some and not others.  For me the awful taste in the mouth is what I hate with this complaint, not sure if you get that.  Take care
    • Posted

I was guilty of that before being diagnosed, we have a colleague at work who unfortunately is always ill with something and when she said she had this and kept crying it was hard to believe it was that bad. I soon put them straight when I was diagnosed. She even stopped eating solid food and lived on nothing but liquids for months but that did not help. The buscopan did though and now like me has found a way to cope with it most of the time.  Take care
    • Posted

I had Buscopan prescribed for my IBS ( lucky me I have both)but never thought to try it for the cramps when I get a diverticular flare up so that's another one to try 

• Posted

Hi Sally me too I have both, the hospital gave it to me for a diverticular flare up and if you read the back of the box it say's to help bowel spasms and I suppose that must be what is causing the pain, too be honest I ever know whether I am an IBS flare up or diverticular because they are so similar.  The joys of getting older I was told and was also told nearly everyone over 50 will have some form of diverticular disease but some people are never affected. Lucky us LOL

• Posted

I had diverticulitis for 6 years and been through all the meds and fiber speech. Finally went to surgeon and he told me no surgery. He told me to get some Metamucil and you will be fine.

Since that meeting I have had not one flare up and pain free. I take it twice per day.

• Posted

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.