Frozen Shoulder???

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am not sure if that is what I am dealing with or not.  I have full range of motion in my left shoulder.  For the most part it doesn't bother me during the day.  However at bed time, it is a different story.  When I lay down it starts throbbing.  The only thing that has helped at this point is sitting up with an ice pack on it.  I have gone to my ortho and had xrays/mri.  There is nothing structurally wrong.  The lack of sleep is really building up.  I had a cortisone shot which has done nothing.  Any thoughts?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like the very early stages. I would go to physical therapy if possible and start slowly, and gently working on. Too aggressive could make worse, too inactive could make worse. At night I place some type of soft pillow under shoulder and arm to provide some relief. However nights are the worst. I also take my anti-inflammatory meds before bed. Good luck.
  • Posted

I agree that you must be at the very beginning. I am nearly a year in, and at the very beginning of thawing, and I can now wash my hair in the shower if I go slow and I'm carefull. Mine is also in the left shoulder, and I was unable to do anthing to the side, or back - and especially no fast movements as it would cause extreme agony. I work full time which has been an incredible challenge, but I hope it will be over in a few more  months. Keep it moving EVERY day to see if it helps from adhering too severly. PT did nothing but cause more pain for me. Shots did nothing either. I wish you well.

• Posted

I remember waiting for someone to say I had a frozen shoulder with my first. My second FS was called bursitis/impingement. If u r in US there is the new injection which breaks down collagen. It's on this forum. I am 6 weeks after a MUA

I am just sleeping now for the first time since June....good luck...

• Posted

I agree with what the others have said so far.  My FS started in the same way, though I didn't know what it was at the time.  Sleeping was worst, but I also got pains when just resting in an armchair.  Gradually, stiffness took over and pain reduced slightly.  I agree that physio-therapy is no use at this stage and can be counter-productive.  If I go through this again (heaven forbid), I would wait it out initially with pain-killers until I reach the 'frozen' state and then ask the doctor about further options.  There doesn't seem to be any quick fix, I'm afraid.  I had capsular release surgery 2 months ago, and do regular home exercises, but still only have about 60% movement and still have a small amount of pain (mainly at night).  However, things are improving slowly.

• Posted

Hi Richard I thought I would be adventurous and try the baby pool next door to the hydrotherapy pool...just ten breast strokes...big mistake. ..pain for 24 hrs...it is a slow recovery. .I am on small hand weights now. Half a kilo...on 6 weeks post MUA. The collagen injection in the U.S sounds amazing..
    • Posted

Hi Elaine

I haven't been brave enough to try swimming since I got FS, although they say it is good exercise when you are in the recovery/thawing phase.  I have found our hot tub to be beneficial as it loosens the muscles and joints prior to doing my set exercises (on dry land!)  The injection in the US does sound promising, although I would be a little wary of trying anything not yet readily available in the UK.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.