not working as effectively for sleep lately

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all. Been taking for sleep for the past 12 weeks. Initially started at 3.75mg and now at 1.75mg. Been working great so far even while tapering but in the past week I've had some alternating nights of 1-2 hours of sleep and starting to think the medicine is pooping out on me already. Those nights I am really trying to sleep but cant till early morning.

Have I built up a tolerance and is this a sign that I am starting to actually learn to sleep on my own even if it is just a little? Any thoughts on anybody else that has used it for sleep and found it lost it's effectiveness after awhile?

I am not planning to up the dose and the intent is to come off eventually. It just sucks that if it is losing it's effectivness, I still have a ways to go with this taper till I'm off. So I'll be taking it for nothing if that's the case.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I have the same issue. I started on 3.75 and that worked for my insomnia for a few days so I went to 7 and that after a few days the same thing again. I am on 15mg now and also have found a part time job and my depression and insomnia aren't as bad.  I think we build up a tolerance to this drug and eventually, the insomnia can return. I refuse to go any higher than 15mg.  I find my vision is a little blurry during the day and I feel a little like I just smoked a big joint even though I haven't. good luck and wish you pleasant dream!

• Posted

I think you're right about building tolerance. I guess I'll view it as coffee. After you get used to you gotta have it stronger to wake up.

• Posted

Sorry for your struggle with tapering, nothing worse than insomnia.  Just wondering if there is any other med involved now or recently firstly??  

As odd as it may seem, even after a short time (12 weeks) dropping from 3.75 to 1.75 is a 60% DROP, and this is where the insomnia is coming from.  I don't think it is poop out.  Tapering from Mirt isn't easy sadly sad.  It is best to taper slowly so that your CNS can get used to readjusting (put shortly).  The remedy? And I know you are determined not to up the dose but choices are few.   Either stick it out and hope sleep will return, may take a week or maybe more, or reinstate and do a gradual, 10% every 2 weeks preferably 3.

If it was me, and I know its not, I would instate back to say 3 mg, you can make a liquid, instructions are available if you want to try.

Wishing you well.

• Posted

Interesting you should ask about the different meds. I am currently on effexor 45 mg and been on this many years. I haven't altered this dose for some time. I did recently come off a low dose of .35 mg clonazapam about 9 weeks ago but was only on it 10 weeks total which includes the taper time as well. The mirtazapine was introduced to help me taper clonazepam.

I started cutting down the mirtazapine 3.75mg after 5 weeks and did the following: 3.0 [14 days], 2.75 [10days], 2.25 [10days], 1.75 mg [currently 2 weeks now]. Half way through the 1.75 is where my sleep is getting choppy. Some nights good others not so much.

Even with only 1-2 hours on some nights would you think I'm at least learning to adapt.?

• Posted

Hi Cheryl

Your taper sounds fairly sensible, I would definately wait until a good amount of sleep returns before doing another taper?  

You might want to check drugs   .   com   for interactions between Mirt & Effexor, maybe your doctor discussed this with you if so I apologise.  

I don't know about 'learning to adapt', not whilst you're still taking Mirt, I think even at the very low doses of Mirt, and I mean 1mg - there is still sedation, its just the drops in mg's that causes the insomnia, that's hard for you, nothing worse than insomnia.  Look after yourself, hope your sleep is better tonight.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.