Burning Mouth

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have been suffering from burning mouth for over 2 years and it has been making my life unbearable.   I have been to numerous doctors and had many tests.  Burning is not the problem as much as dryness and soreness and discomfort on the roof of my mouth particularly directly behind the front teeth.  Inside the upper and lower lips are also uncomfortable.  my tongue used to be a problem with little sores in it but not an issue now.  I have tried Cipramil in small doses to no avail. Have tried acupuncture.  No doctor or dentist seems to understand the discomfort I have with roof of mouth.  I feel they think I'm crazy.  Can anyone relate to my problems and offer any suggestions.  Thanks

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Have you been tested for Sjorgrens Syndrome? I suffered mouth ulcers for 18 months and it was because of eating Tomatoes. And SS causes dry mouth with little saliva, bad teeth, and inability to tolerate hot food, spicy foods etc. Just thought it might help
    • Posted

Yes Im assured that it is not Sjorgrens.  Blood tests don't indicate any inflammation so I'm told it can't be.  I'm always sceptical of blood tests alone because I know from past experiences they can be slow to show something.  Is there any other test?  

• Posted

Hi, I have been suffering from this for 8 months,It started after dental treatment,I have been to different dentists ect,who say all looks fine,so dont worry,nothing serious, but dont realise that it wears you down,and when theres nothing to see,it makes it   more complicated.  my symtons range from burning,/stinging, tingling, and inside cheek feels swollen and sometimes feels like cut/and  affects under top lip /feels sore and sometimes feels like a lump under it,that comes and goes.and feels dry.I was given difflam mouthwash and a gel,  I used to keep looking in mouth to expect to find sore/cut?  I expect its all to do with the nerve endings,I  too feel that  not much support is given,,and feel that Im making a fuss!  have you had blood tests,as I have been told to ask for a vitamin B12 blood test,as a deficiency in this can cause mouth problems, I am waiting to see Dr for blood tests.

• Posted

Hi Jayne, everything you say is exactly the same for me and after going to so many professionals I know many think Im crazy because they can't see anything.  I have had blood tests and taken Vit B12 along with many other recommended supplements.  I've done an elimination diet to see if any foods were making it worse.  Had surgery in mouth to remove bad root canal filled tooth.  Now doing acupuncture and sometimes I get short relief with more saliva in mouth but nothing that lasts.  Sick of spending money to no avail but would spend my last $ for a cure!  Please let me know if you find anything and I will do same.

• Posted

how about a nerve compression.. maybe the pharyngeal branch of the vagus nerve...it would involve the cervical plexus C2-C5
  • Posted

burning is caused by nerve compression... pharyngeal branch of the vagus nerve or some other aspect of the cervical plexus

Hope someone has the answer for you

• Posted

Hello Susan - I had this SO bad.  It was getting to a point where I could hardly eat anything without extreme discomfort.   I talked to my primary care physician about it--she recommended an over the counter supplement, easily purchased at a health food store, called L Lysine.   It is an anti-viral supplement,  I believe.   I started taking this supplement, and no lie, within one week I was almost completely better.   It isn't even expensive.   I would give it a try if I were you.   I never in a million years thought I would get better from this.   GOOD LUCK!!

• Posted

Thank you for your reply.  About 18 months ago I did try L Lysine or at least I'm sure it's what I tried without much success but I will give it another go as the mouth condition has changed over the time.  At present Im having acupuncture and some days I think it helps and others times it doesn't.  Were your symptoms similar to mine?  Did you think certain foods had an effect and made it worse?  

• Posted

I had burning and dry mouth, not any soreness and these symptoms were Severe!   I was losing weight bec. there was hardly Anything I could eat without extreme discomfort.

There is a maximum dosage of L Lysine you can take.   I would at least try it w/the maximum dosage for a week.   

After the initial bout of this weird syndrome (this was the worst bout of it) abt a year later it reoccurred, not quite as bad, but bad enough.  I had L Lysine left and took it, and again, it was gone quick.   It has not reoccured since. 

Interesting to me, it came on at a time I know I was going thru menopause, And during some extreme stressful life situations.

• Posted

I know you posted this awhile ago but how much L-lysine did you take daily? What was the milligrams did you take? I'm in a lot of pain and in need of something to get relief

• Posted

Hi,Just an update I thought routine blood test shows vitamin B12 defiency,but was told they dont,I asked for seperate test,and was found to be low,had injections(now finished) but mouth problem still there,am waiting for second opinion with out-patient dentist(but i think he will say the same as last time,all looks ok)   Its like you say the soreness you feel,but looks ok!  and under my top/bottom lip feels dry/ uncomfortable,(feels slightly swollen,and like a bump or something rubbing,do you get that feeling?  I  have heard that amytryptyline in low doses is good?  I will ask when I get appointment. Im fed up and have had this now for nearly a year.
    • Posted

forgot to say,certain foods,like anything bitter, salt,peppery/hot,  do seem to irritate it,its strange like a cut in mouth that can burn/sting!

• Posted

Hi Jayne, everything you say is identical for me so at least I know I'm not mad as most medical professionals Im sure think I am because they can't understand what I'm talking about.  Yes under my upper and lower lips are dry and feel swollen exactly as you say.  I use a product called Orabase which is a paste in a tube and put some under lips and a little on upper palate directly behind front teeth and it sticks everything together and is good for when I go to bed as it brings me some relief but if you use it in day it doesn't last with eating and drinking.  Keep me updated and I will do likewise with you.  

• Posted

Hi, sorry about the lapse of time,but been waiting to see dental team at outpatient dept, They had a look,explained it felt like tiny paper cuts inside cheek,and stinging like feeling, and then feels like my teeth are rubbing against a swollen cheek,and making it feel swollen/sore.  and under upper lip,which then sometimes feels dry like it will  split into tiny cut. they said all looks fine in mouth,and said It sounds like Burning mouth,(mine is only left side)  but they said it usually affects all the mouth?   Ive been told to use gengigel paste and difflum mouthwash,and will check again in month, I asked for xray,but they would not show anything, tt does ease some weeks,but then returns!  someone mentioned to me about nerve pain?  that can cause burning/stinging sensations,I will ask in next appoinrment about this?  but am dreading the appointment as I know I will be discharged and will be left to deal with this condition,which totally baffles me!  (I cant turn back time,and would never have gone for dental treatment a year ago,which was strange it happened straight after) so  I try and deal with it the Best I can,but some days are harder and take the enioyment out of  your day,and dont like to moan to family too much,  will keep updated,and any miracle cures let me know!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.