Cramping pains in various parts of body

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi i am trying to stop drinking. Vodka is my drink and i have been consuming over a litre a week for 10 years approx. Ive been trying to taper off by just having one drink such as a glass of wine a day and even try missing one day in between. Around 2nd day i started feeling pain in the top of my thigh, almost in a long thin line. Various other places or rather spots such as my wrists, feet, left rib cage but more of a sharp pain and arms. Im quite worried as it doesnt seem to go now on the leg and i feel tightening or tingling in my toes on the same side as leg pain.

Can anyone tell me if this is a normal side effect. I had some symptoms last night. Freezing cold burning headache and very visual and real dreams half in and out of sleep and sweating like mad. I havent had the shakes though and hope i dont.

Sorry for this long message.

I suffer severely from depression and anxiety and started drinking whilst in an abusive relationships. I also suffered abuse from a young age. I am so much older now and feel i have wasted my years and in some ways its too late for me now. I have just turned 51 and all i want is to have a life worth living. I don't need a lot. I have 2 children now 20 and 23 who have been badly affected by life now as well. My daughter has not really left the house for 5 years. The guilt shame and despair is too much.

I have just rambled. Which i cant do face to face.

Thanks for reading if you got this far.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi ai also drink vodka. I feel all kinds of pains when I am days in betweeen binges. Especially the next day after a binge. I get cramps in legs. Sharp pains in other parts of my body. I think it's my pancreas sending toxins in my Bylood. Also alcohol is a poison. Try to relax rehydrate and replenish vitamins in your body. You should start to feel better. The sweating is from detoxing. Sometimes my T shirt at night gets soaked. It's awful. Hang in there.

• Posted

Thank you. I found it hard to find any info so started to worry more. Thanks for sharing that with me. Only came across this forum today. It looks really supportive. I hope you are doing well.
  • Posted

Hi Rachelli,you are doing well now reaching for help,as a litre too much for your health,but not all that bad,I have 2 litres vodka(at least) and currently working towards using the Sinclair method,which my GP is encouraging.It has 78% success rate,so feel confident I,ll get the help I need.I,m not very good on iPad,but know someone will send you a link.You seem to be troubled and worried,but there,s no need to worry about your drinking,you have accepted it's too much,just make sure you never up your intake,easiest thing in the world,you,re doing well,and my heart goes out to you,things will work out for you,and you will do your best for your family.

• Posted

Thank you so much. Just a kind message makes a big difference. To be honest i never really monitor my alcohol andat least a litre maybe more bought by me and drank by me at home which does not include round at friends or else where. I had never really thought about it before. I finally told my son today and my daughter has been a support so i feel a bit better.

Thank you

I hope you are coping. I will always reply if ever you need to chat x

• Posted

rachelli..it sounds like you are really dehydrated.

I suggest that you concentrate on drinking lots of fluids...

I also give you credit for trying to taper your consumption!

Tapering is really difficult to do. When I was drinking heavily I kept saying I would taper and could never do it.

Muscle cramping is a big sign of dehydration. But, also since you have been drinking for 10 years consistently you may have the normal aches and pains of a 51 year old but just never really felt them because you were numbing yourself with alcohol.

I have fibromyalgia...when I drink (sober now almost 2 months). But, when I drank I didn't feel 1/2 the pains and aches that I feel NOT drinking.  Plus if we are not exercising our muscles are not strong and every little thing we do that requires any strength (moving a simple piece of furniture, carrying groceries, walking any distance and THE WEATHER)...we feel it the next day.

Your daughter not leaving the house for 5 years. Maybe you can now on your sober days focus on what kind of psychological help you can get her to. She is not going to just all of a sudden get better on her own.

I watch this show "Intervention" where many people who want to become sober say "well I've done so much damage" and they dwell on the past the Interventionist tells them...You can be sober now and there is nothing you can do about the past...but there is much you can do in the future.

• Posted

Thank you. Everything you have said makes sense. My daughter has also asked me to book an appt with doctor for her. I have tried so many times. I think shes realised that we all need to pull together. There is hope in my life for the first time in a long time. :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.