Contact dermatitis from yeast infection treatment?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm on an antibiotic for sinus issues, and ended up with a yeast infection. Typically I use a store brand cream which helps a lot. This time my daughter went to the store for me, but brought back a named brand cream, and it's all downhill from there. It cause severe burning, both inside and out. After a couple days the burning lessened, but still very painful, and intense itching set in. I'm now loaded with blisters that ooz, itch like mad, and still have some burning. Has this happened to anyone else? I have always had sensitive skin, and issues with eczema, but in all of my 45 years, I've never had such a reaction to a yeast infection cream. I can't get into the gynecologist until mid December, so I'm hoping that my family doctor can help me out.

If anyone has some solutions to this agony, I'd greatly appreciate it.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

The antibiotics might have caused a disbalance of the natural flora and the pH of the vagina. An overgrowth of yeasts then leads to the problems associated with a yeast infection. 

The most gentle way to prevent and combat this is by using vaginal suppositories that contain live lactobacillus strains. These help restore the vaginal flora and the normal pH (which is slightly acidic).  

Regarding the cream you have used: The skin and the membrane of the vagina might have become extra sensitive after taking the antibiotics but it is also likely that you have a contact allergy.

It is very important to keep the packaging with the list of ingredients. They will help your doctor or dermatologist in finding the chemical that might have caused the allergic reaction.  

Additionally, you could get the antifungal cream that you usually applied and compare the ingredients. 

After a course of antibiotics it is also recommended to eat probiotic yogurt or kefir. Antibiotics deplete beneficial bacteria from the gut thus compromising your immune system. Yogurt with live cultures helps restore these bacteria.   

• Posted

I was only a couple days into taking the antibiotic when the yeast kicked in. I figured that I'd get a jump on the cure before it got worse, and started taking probiotics and using the cream. The ingredients in the name brand and the generic are the same, but maybe the name brand one has more of a kick. If you do an internet search for "Bad reactions to Monistat" or something similar, you'll see the problems it has caused for years. Since I've only ever used the generic versions, I was clueless to how some people might react to the name brand.

My doctor called in a prescription for Diflucan, and some cream today, so I'm waiting on that. I haven't taken my antibiotic for almost two days because I didn't want to worsen the yeast, but eventually the course has to be finished.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. 😊

• Posted

Kim

I know you have enough on your plate,but Difflucan makes me nauseous. Thinking you've probably taken this and that's not an issue for you. Just a heads up,cuz there are meds to control the nausea.

Good luck! Hope your feeling better soon!

• Posted

I haven't taken it yet, but figured I'd take it right before going to sleep. I've been nauseous on and off for a few days, and now I'm starting to wonder if I have a UTI brewing.

Thanks for the heads up. ?

• Posted

You've got me thinking that Diflucan is what I was prescribed for a UTI.

Hope you feel better soon! Hard enuf to feel crummy, without feeling ill on a holiday. Good luck to you Kim. Prayers that you feel better soon!!

• Posted

Diflucan is for various types of yeast infections, and is only 1 pill.

I'll try to wait things out, but the holiday will be spent in bed. If it gets bad enough though, I'll go to a hospital or walk-in clinic if they're open. My doctor doesn't work on Friday's, so I'd be out of luck until sometime next week. Talk about timing.

• Posted

Kim

Then Diflucan wasn't what I took for my UTI. I had to take 'whatever it was' for 5 days. Yes, urgent cares and emergency dept at hospitals are always open.

You take care and feel better...

• Posted

Thanks so much. 😊

I called my doctor, and he said that he can't prescribe antibiotics over the phone. I knew he couldn't but wanted to ask if I could take some leftover antibiotics that my daughter has because I really don't want to deal with a hospital. He said that I could give it a try to hold me over until Monday, but if symptoms get worse I have to go to the hospital. That sounded like a fair deal to me. We've known each other for 20 years so there's a good amount of trust there.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.