Broken Wrist

Posted , 5 users are following.

I broke my distal radius bone 9 weeks ago on 17/9/16.  I had my plaster removed after nearly 7 weeks & that was 3 weeks ago today .  I am experiencing severe pain in the nerve endings in that region & living on pain killers.  I cannot bear any clothes to touch my wrist yet.  It feels like knarly razor blades rotating round my wrist. My wrist is still quite stiff but I am getting more movement back in it - it's just this sensitivity which is so painful & draining.  Can anyone help with any suggestions & is this normal?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Did you have an xray when the plaster was removed?   Sometimes wrist injuries can take a while to settle down. Are you having any physiotherapy? Are you in UK?
    • Posted

Hi Marina,

No I didn't have it x-rayed after the plaster was removed.  I am having physio of sorts (NHS DIY style) & yes I am in the UK.

• Posted

Hi Joanie,

​It sounds like you may have developed Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS) which is caused by damage to the nervous system after an injury.

​You need to mention your symptoms to your Consultant or GP and your PT.

• Posted

Thank you so much for taking the time to  reply - so very much appreciated.  I have been to my GP this morning & he is of the same opinion.  I have been given some anti inflamatory tablets so let's hope this will do the trick. 

• Posted

Hi Joanie33

If you look back at all of this you will see my name and know how desolate I felt at times. But I can tell you this I broke my wrist 3rd May this year and yesterday after 22 weeks of physio I have been signed off and it's about 90% but I do feel that I will get to 100%.  It's been a long haul and I have worked hard at it but without my Physio giving me the confidence that it would come right I would have been flapping about in the wind as the hospital just leave you to get on with it.

So stick on in there it's all normal and you too will get there just find a good Physio.

Good Luck and don't despair.

Best wishes Wendy

• Posted

Aw thank you so much for your reply Wendy - it's good to feel I am not alone as at the moment i do feel very low.  I think I will get some proper physio like you suggest.  Thank you for your support & I'm so pleased your wrist is nearly back to normal.  It gives me hope!

• Posted

I had a lot of pain,too, when the cast was removed...I found that heat and then follow with a cold washcloth helped...and slowly try and get movement into your wrist again. If you're not seeing a physical therapist, they have good exercises to do if you look on line. And do them several times a day. My cast came off sept 13th and it's finally looking normal and range of motion is pretty good, but still can't hold my weight with my left wrist if I want to do floor exercises. The therapist told me that could be about six more months (I'm 59). I would ask your doctor for some physical therapy. It's hard to believe how stiff your wrist gets after being in a cast for 6-7 weeks! That's the atrophy. Good luck to you!

• Posted

Hi Jude,

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me.  I was using ice packs but found when I took them off the blood temp rose dramtically straight away.  I am now using the pack heated & it seems to work a bit better.  I will try as you say using a cold cloth straight after the heat.  Thank for your advice.  I am also 59 so think it takes longer than if we were spring chickens!  Lovely to get a real time forecast though. 

• Posted

Yes I think the heat felt the best and loosened my wrist just enough to be able to do the wrist exercises, which is what improved my range of motion and decreased the pain, as well. And then the ice pack or cold cloth after the exercises. Hang in there...you will heal from this!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.