Painful shoulder

Posted , 5 users are following.

On Monday, while leading my horse he spooked and bolted forward pulling me off my feet and shoulder planting me in the mud, point of shoulder first. I can rotate my arm but not lift it much above elbow height before it hurts, It's all very stiff and swollen around shoulder and neck and upper arm. Doctors are hopeess for getting an appointment and I don't feel it's A&E worthy but I could do with some pain relief as I'm struggling to sleep comfortably or get dressed/carry anything. Any suggestions, wrenched or possibly torn something?, Ibruprofen tablets aren't helping. Done hot and cold compress and ibruprofen gel. Being single and one handed and horses just doesn't work well!!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Your need to go to the hospital, sounds like it is your rotator cuff.
  • Posted

"A&E worthy"  really??  Would you call a vet if your horses seemed to be in pain?  I think so and you are more important than any animal.  I don't know if it is serious or not but a professional should.  I would make that appointment and take a different OTC pain medicine like asprin or naproxen sodium since what you tried is not working.   If you feel much improvement before your appointment then cancel.  The hot and cold compresses are good but you also need to rest your shoulder.  Can you put your arm in a sling so that your shoulder is immoble and you don't try to use it for a number of days.  Healing takes time.  

• Posted

Lol, Yes I might well call a vet and actully they would be quicker than a doctor,  but then horses cannot talk and tell you where it hurts. A&E last resort. Pretty sure it's soft tissue damage so I have used equine cooling gel and a vet wrap bandage to support my arm, improvisation is the key! It does feel a bit better tonight after a good hot shower and more muscle embrocation stuff, actually for cows udders, but humans can use it, it just stinks of peppermint, good job I'm alone!,  I can touch my head now smileThanks Devsmom, have found some Naproxen that is just still in date and some Codeine the same so I'll give those a go. I've probably got some Aspirin somewhere too if needed. I'm on my own here so whilst doing my best to rest it there are still jobs to do that have to be done best I can one handed and the rest can wait. 

• Posted

Three muscles come to mind:

Sternocladomastoid which attaches at the sternum to the clavicle to the ear.

Supraspinatis which is responsible for the fir 15 degrees if abduction.

Deltoid which is responsible for abduction from 15-90 degrees.

Muscles are tissue, they bruise and bleed just like skin does. If it is the muscles they need time to heal. They need rest, perhaps as in sling, heat, cold...NSAID and perhaps acetaminophen.

It would be ashame to self medicate and later on find out that you tore the rotator cuff.

Go to urgent care...this is what they are all about.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.