Wait or go back up with pred

Posted , 3 users are following.

Called my rheumy about my slightly elevated CRP -sed rate OK.

Day before that forgot my 3 mg evening pred dose. Woke up with a stiff neck. As soon as I realized the omission took those 3 mg with my usual 7.5 am dose= 10.5 mg AM then my usual 3mg evening dose. I wonder if that omission set me back along with so. Elevated CRP of 9.2. My rheumy asked me how I felt. When we spoke over the phone I was feeling OK.

This AM slight stiff neck and shoulder ache which comes and goes along with transient scalp discomfort which I always get from time to time.- transient. Recent stress last week of family funeral with very long car drive31/2 hours each way plus stress of seeing estranged daughter. 

How far up should I go back on pred and how lond before trying to reduce again. I am on 10.5

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Given the stress you were under and travelling and the fact you feel not too bad my own approach would be to wait a week and get the CRP done again if you can. A single raised marker shouldn't trigger a kneejerk reaction to increase - but a trend should. Perhaps you are developing a cold?

Or, if the morning symptoms get worse maybe try a few days of 12.5mg and back to your usual 10.5mg - that shouldn't be a problem.

• Posted

Thank you Eileen,

My doctor will test my CRP in 2 months. Today I took 325mg aspirin. I see my GP Internist next week.He is also a rheumy but my main rheumy calls the shots. The standard here in the US is to be followed by a rheumy and a gpinternist. They do talk to each other and we all have access to electronic medical records.

I will probably do 12.5 for a couple of days to nip this in the bud.

Probably being ~ 10mg might make me more vulnerable to the aforementioned stress.

• Posted

I'd want my CRP checked sooner than that if it has gone up now - in 2 weeks at least, just to see. If it hasn't gone any further up it won't matter and you needn't bother again.  But as I say, it is the trend that is most important.

• Posted

You know how we have the guideline to not reduce by more than 10% at a time?  Is there any kind of similar suggestion for a percentage increase if fending off a flare, etc?
    • Posted

Most of the doctors I know suggest adding 5mg to the dose at which the flare occurred. But that I think is for an established flare you can tell is a flare. If it is just the symptoms appearing as you try to reduce they say go back to the dose you were last OK at - which is why I say to hang around for at least a few weeks at a new dose to be sure it is still enough.
    • Posted

OK, so a "flat rate" 5 mg rather than a percentage.  Just curious.  Thanks.

• Posted

I went to my internist today for a regular follow up. He does not treat my PMR; my rheumy does. He is however a rheumatologist as well. I asked to have my sed rate and CRP repeated because they both went up; the CRP into the slightly high range and the sed rate into a higher normal. My young rheumy said to continue to reducing just go by how I feel. My internist was concerned about the trend.

I am thankful to Eileen for suggesting a retest. I will know in a couple of days- on-line what the trend is.

• Posted

My CRP and sed rate, done yesterday,  went down into middle normal range. Debating whether to try alternating with 10.25 / 10.5 for awhile because I have slight morning stiffness which I did not have at higher doses but I am pretty comfortable most of the day. I sometimes have a back of the neck ache. I get that from hidden sulfates  in foods- Yesterday I put molasses, which has calcium, in my coffee. 

I want to prevent a self induced flare.

• Posted

No stiff neck this morning but hip bursitis seems to emerge again. It interfered with sleep last night requiring frequent turns. I am on 10.5 and was considering 10.25. I take 7.5am/ 3mg pm. Maybe I should take a little less am and add that 1mg to my evening dose. Other than my breathing issues I'm reasonably comfortable all day.

My repeat CRP and sed rate down to normal.

• Posted

I shifted one 1mgm to my evening dose from the morning dose; this improved my sleeping comfort. 

My doctor prescribed a handicap parking placard for my car. One of the criteria is inability to walk 200 feet without stopping to rest. I stop to rest at 100 feet because of breathlessness. In cold weather it's terrible.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.