My finger has been like this numbness sensation and tingling 4 days now I'm scared!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am really panicing my finger has had this tingling, numbness sensation and like when I bend it it feels like my skin is tight and streching. I google and its all life threathening  stuff. Has anyones else numbness and tingling lasted 4 days or more? See below: 

Depending on the cause, finger paresthesia may be present in only one finger or even a small part of a finger, such as the nail or fingertip, or it may be present in all fingers on both hands. For example, ulnar nerve compression in the arm may cause paresthesia of the pinky and ring fingers. Carpal tunnel syndrome may bring about paresthesia of the thumb, index, middle, and half of the ring finger.

Finger paresthesia can be a symptom of a serious disease, disorder or condition. Seek prompt medical care for any unusual finger sensations that last more than a few minutes, recur, or cause you concern.

Seek immediate medical care(call 911) if you have paresthesia in the fingers along with loss of bladder or bowel control, paralysis, sudden confusion, weakness in the extremities, or slurred speech.

this is how mine feels: Finger paresthesia is an abnormal condition in which you feel a sensation of burning, numbness, tingling, itching, or prickling, sometimes described as pins and needles, in one or more fingers in the absence of stimuli. Finger paresthesia may or may not be accompanied by pain.

The duration and course of finger paresthesia varies widely, depending on the underlying cause. Paresthesia caused by holding your arm in the same position for a long period of time often has a sudden onset. This is commonly referred to as your arm “being asleep.” Most people experience this type of sensation at one time or another, and it normally fades away quickly once you move your arm. In other cases, finger paresthesia sensations develop slowly and persist or worsen over time.

Finger paresthesia can arise from a lack of blood supply to an area or damage to a nerve or nerves that supply the hand and fingers. This can be due to such conditions as carpal tunnel syndrome or a cervical disk problem. Finger paresthesia can also result from infection, inflammation, medications, trauma, and other abnormal processes. Finger paresthesia is rarely due to a life-threatening disorder, but it can arise from a stroke or tumor. Chronic finger paresthesia or intermittent finger paresthesia occurring over a long period of time is generally a sign of a neurological disease or nerve damage.

Possible causes of numbness in one or both of your hands include:

Alcohol use disorder

Amyloidosis

Brachial plexus injury

Carpal tunnel syndrome (cubital tunnel syndrome)

Cervical spondylosis

Ganglion cyst

Guillain-Barre syndrome

HIV/AIDS

Lyme disease

Multiple sclerosis

Paraneoplastic syndromes of the nervous system

Peripheral neuropathy

Raynaud's disease

Side effects of chemotherapy drugs

Sjogren's syndrome

Spinal cord injury

Stroke

Syphilis

Type 2 diabetes

Ulnar nerve compression

Vasculitis

Vitamin B-12 deficiency

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I think you have been reading too much off the internet. The list you mention would have many more symptoms than what you have got. It sounds like you have hurt a nerve which will probably get better. I do it occassionally. If you are really worried go to a doctor.
  • Posted

As a doctor once said to me...You are a bit of a worrier.

There are people on this Forum with life threatening conditions and who are confined to wheel chairs and you think that your finger is of importance to them. 

• Posted

It evidently does not prevent you from typing
    • Posted

I'm a two finger typer and I dont use my middle finger to type. I came here for support and ask questions not to be attack. I jave the finger issue and and other tinglings in both hands and have felt numbeness in legs that came and gones. Sorry to botrher you all.

• Posted

Yes, I have.

Google never went to medical school!

You copied a bunch of stuff from Google! You didn't say which finger or which fingers.

Go to urgent care and have it checked out.

• Posted

He/she now refers to other areas of numbness. If he does not tell the whole story people can hardly offer an opinion based on their own experiences.

Such mumbness is often caused by anxiety but he should consult a neurolgist or an STD clinic if he thinks he may have Syphilis or be HIV positive.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.