Ovarian cyst removal vs cyst & ovary removal?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi. I have a cyst on my left ovary for over two years. It's about the size of a ping-pong ball and this size remained to be the same up until my last sonogram. During my last obygn visit, they told me the cyst grew a bit more with an addition of a second cyst now. I do not have any pains except a small discomfort that I experience occasionally. My obygn decided to do a surgery and remove both the cysts and the left ovary. When I asked if it would be better not to remove the left ovary, my dr said it would be more difficult to remove the cysts only since it will bleed more. I'd like to hear your thoughts on this. How was your experience if you decided to keep your ovary or remove both the cysts and ovary together? Any feedback would be very helpful to me.

Thank you in advance!

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I have a similar problem. I'd rather not have surgery at all if I can avoid it. But I think that often these cysts are attached to or come from the ovary. If you just have the cyst removed, and leave the ovary, 1 - the cysts may come back and 2 - you can't guarantee yhat the ovary won't be damaged and not work anyway. Just a thought.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I wish I could avoid the surgery completely. My cycts are not painful. They just give me some discomfort time to time. However, my dr is concerned that it has been close to three years and the one on the left ovary is gradually growing. She ran blood tests and did not see signs of cancer but you never know until it's opened. She thinks it's a safer approach to remove the cysts and ovary. On the other hand, I am concerned it would impact my hormones. I am also concerned about the pain and recovery period after the surgery.

• Posted

I am just the same. I'm not so concerned about the hormone aspect, but I am carer for my 89 year old mum as well as being a gardener. So I really can't afford 'recovery time'.

• Posted

Hi, Sometimes they don't really know what they have to do until they get inside and have a good look.

I was due to just have my cyst removed, approx 8cms.

I had to give consent to have my ovary removed if need be.

When my surgeon operated, I had a lot of adhesions from a previous hyaterectomy, that had to be cut away, made it a long surgery. Then when he finally found my ovary, the cyst was wrapped round it, so had ovary, cyst and tube removed.

He said, that in some cases the ovary is very hard to find, and the whole lot has to be removed.

Maybe that's why your Dr told you there could be more bleeding, I think sometimes everything is tangled up,and it's too hard to separate all the tussue.

• Posted

Thank you, Laura. How was your recovery following the surgery? Was it painful? Were you able to move around at home such as going to the bathroom, doing simple things (grabbing a glass of water) etc? 

• Posted

Oh goodness yes. The ovary removal was the minor part, I also had a posterior prolapse repair done vaginally at the same time, while I was under, that's two lots of major surgery, and honestly, the laparoscopy was the minor op.

I had mild discomfort from that, the other op took ages to get over, but I was downstairs, and no problems looking after myself, apart from any lifting or bending.

Don't be too worried, it's an easy op to get over. A lot of people have pain for a few days from the air trapped inside until it disperses, but it didn't bother me much after the first day. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.