One week out from cataract surgery with Symfony

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had my left eye done one week ago (the cataract in my right is fairly minor).  My surgeon insisted on laser-assisted surgery.  We both felt the Symfony would be a good choice of IOL for me.  We aimed for some residual myopia for better near vision.  I'm not sure yet what exactly we hit.  I was highly myopic (~-11) so it's harder to hit the desired refractive error precisely.  Overall the vision in that eye seems quite good functionally; I'm not able to read the newspaper but aside from that functionally it's great.  There's still some shadow/fuzziness on the eye chart, but it's just a week out.  The surgery itself went great.  I had an ICL implant that had to be removed, but that was clean and easy, the hexis was perfect, the lens is perfectly centered and seems well aligned.  There's no inflammation or edema in the eye (some inflammation at the incision as expected).  I do have a moderate amount of astigmatism, so a toric Symfony lens was used.  Prior to surgery my left eye was pretty bad; I relied on my right eye for everything, so it's quite nice being able to see clearly out of both eyes.  Eye pressure is great (14 in the operated eye and 12 in the other, but it varies day to day).  I'm hoping my near vision improves over the next couple of weeks.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Are you able to see your computer screen? What about distance? Cod you read the newspaper before?
    • Posted

I can see my computer OK, and distance is excellent.  Better than my right eye, which has an ICL and in which I'm flightly hyperopic.  I suspect the formulas led the surgeon to perhaps .05D more minus that would have been ideal, but surgeon says give it time, near vision may improve as lens "settles" in coming weeks.

Due to presbyopia, I relied on progressive eyeglasses to read the newspaper and see my computer before.  I'm still using them now, although I can make do with the computer without them (it's easier with them, especially since with them both eyes can see it).

• Posted

I am considering the Symfony lens, so it would be great if you'd give us periodic updates on your experience with the lens.  thanks a lot

• Posted

Thank you so much for posting something positive!  I am considering the Symfony lens, and would love to know how youre doing now. 
  • Posted

My problem seems somewhat similar to yours..thinking of doing only the left eye.  I would like to see a golf ball at, say, 2oo yards and to be able to edit photos on computer 

I have an appoinment next week to talk more about the Symfony lens which seems to fit my situation.....if it works as advertised.

Any progress report...and or advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Posted

Hi, 

Did you see any issues like halos or glare during nights ? Are you able to drive during nights ?

• Posted

I haven't noticed any halos or glare.  Night driving is fine.

• Posted

finally heard good result from symfony. I will soon do the surgery too. I know some lens, especially reStor lens has external reflection, the patient can not see themslevs, but other can see the lens have noticeble glare, like cat eyes, or harry potter eyes, I worry symfony lens has the issure too?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.