Anyone relate to really old person days ?

Posted , 21 users are following.

So I am 56 and 7 weeks post right THR. Ok yesterday .. Looked round two shops and did a 30 minute gentle walk tho it was dark and cold. Felt it when I got in . So today I wake up and I feel as can only be described as a very old person . Ache most places esp my back and feel I have to use the grabber .tired and in pain and feel very stiff and rigid . Everything seems an effort and just want to sit still . My get up and go has got up and fled . Is this normal ? I don't think I overdid it yesterday ... Two shops and a medical appt then a walk .

Anyone else relate to this at 7 weeks ? Or am I going mad and aged 25 years ?!! Thanks

0 likes, 47 replies

47 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, mine is OAP mornings ! So stiff till about 11am then feel loads better in the afternoon. 🤔

• Posted

Hi, I did as well at 7 weeks, felt totally shattered. I'm now 8 1/2 weeks and I'm feeling as though I have much more energy after I've been out and about. My leg did feel a little uncomfortable by the end but the next day apart from feeling a bit stiff when I woke up I'm feeling quite good. A nice hot shower in the morning seems to sort meverything out.

• Posted

Yes Hazel you will get tired and just have to give in to it sleep is a good healer as well as the excersises just dont stop those, eek Lots of us here have had both sides done, as I have, and it is life+mind changing but change is good in life, hope you will feel better and stronger very soon, the walks are little and often and rest in between even if it is just an hour or so  exclaim it is important to just give in and go with your energy flow and rest when you need to. 

• Posted

oh my dear Hazel ... 

your post makes me laugh - it is so true !!!    

I am afraid you might have more mornings like this ... 7 weeks is still early in recovery and your body is working so hard ... not only repairing the damages but also getting all your other body parts moving ... 

A great deal of the recovery takes place in the first two months, but complete return to normal takes longer. Bone around the metal parts keeps changing and remodeling for 1 to 2 years after surgery, which is why you sometimes can feel achy  and it also has an affect when the weather changes. 

I feel so much colder now with all the steel hardware inside my body ...

Kudos for getting out and about though ... it is sort of a catch 22 --- we need to push ourselves to find out that we overdid it ...

so rest up - stay warm

big warm hug

renee 

• Posted

I know just where hour coming from, feel just the same nine weeks post op.we just have to keep pressing on, there is no going back now we have come this far, hus and best wishes.

• Posted

I'm 11months and 3 months post op. and feel like that most days. Morning's I feel like I could fly, but by the afternoon comes I'm really tired

I do know that things are improving each day and each week and I also know that it takes months to start feeling normal again. It's worth it.

• Posted

I'm 48 years old and 10 weeks post op and still feel like that. It is getting better though.

• Posted

Your able to do far more than I am live , and 7 weeks is still early days X it can take up to a year as frustrating as that sounds, your doing really well xxx
  • Posted

You definately did an awful lot so early.. I am 15 weeks and would struggle doing that even now.   

A restful day or two will see you recover, just do the exercises to stop yourself getting to stiff.

Kind Regards

• Posted

Thanks Elaine ... Did sod all today and just feel the body relaxing a bit now
  • Posted

I'm 63 and 6 weeks post op today. I feel exactly the same way. However I also notice each day I improve so my body is doing what it's suppose to....just slower than I want it to. I tell myself this is not a marathon I'm running. I need to progress daily and the little milestones I reach are as important as the total recovery. If you need a day of extra rest, listen to your body and take it. Sounds like you are right on target to a successful recovery. Good luck on your journey!

• Posted

Well at least I am not alone Barb .. That is what I wanted to know . Very slow recovery this one .. Can't fly before we can run and all that !

• Posted

Wow sounds like you had a busy day Hazel 

i am 54 and 5 weeks post hip op now. Couldn't do what you did . I am trying to get out each day for a walk ( weather permitting) and trying to walk a bit further each day . Can definately feel it every evening . Today I walked 6.6 of a mile ,but it took me 19 minutes, and only burnt 81 calories ( rough calculations as fit its are not 100 percent right ,but a rough gage.

I walk with 2 sticks outside but use 1 inside most of the time but occasionally use 2 . My core muscles are soooo weak as my hip was so bad before the op I used 2 crutches all the time,I have arthritis in both knees too 😩 

Sure convalesing in the summer would be easier. 

We will get there Hazel ,just takes a while to heal and get strong again. 

Some people do say it can take them any where between 6/12 months to really feel normal again. Think we just get dis heartened as some say they recover by 6 weeks , but is that really possible . I know I will take some time. We just need to be patient and any step in the right direction is good. 

With best wishes 

suzie 

• Posted

Aw suzi must be so tough with the knees as well . 1/6 mile sounds good tho .. Yes it looks like it will be a long haul but keep on keeping on as they say !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.