Is Surgery Worth it?!

Posted , 8 users are following.

Since being on this site I have become very confused as to what treatment I should be seeking for L5 slipped disc. Should I go down the surgical route or not?! Is it worth the risk and does it actually stop the pain or have any benefits? How scary is it going under the knife, what does it involve and whats the worst part about surgery?

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I had a discectomy l4/l5. I found surgery easy, especially compared to the pain before. The recovery process was hard because you do have to be so careful. Unfortunately with my 3 children to run around after I didn't give my body the rest it needed so my disc had reherniated. I am devastated, but I will consider more surgery if other options don't work for me. If you have chance to rest properly post op, for a couple of months, then it is an option for you.

• Posted

I had a double discectomy in March. Previously I had been suffering with horrendous nerve pain in my lower back, hip, leg and foot. The day after the operation I pretty much cried with joy that I no longer had nerve pain. I had to have a wee bag for I think it was two days because no matter how hard I tried it just wasn't happening. It took me two ish days to be able to stand up and after a fashion walk around. I was advised to rest for between 6-12 weeks. Because my job is physical I needed just over 3 months off, purely because I wasn't willing to take the risk of going back too soon and messing it up. I've not had any nerve pain since my ooeration. I still have some back pain and stiffness, some days are worse than others but I can cope with that. I can honestly say that if I hadn't had the operation I have no doubts that I would be depressed and possibly stuck in bed by now. If you have the opportunity to go for the op - I would say go for it but make sure you allow yourself enough rest and time to recover. Also embrace the sheer pain relief and rest that morphine allows you. It makes all the difference.

• Posted

Well love tbh I had my operation in July 27th pain has gone so if your in so much pain it's worth having done maybe some damage after tho I am still having problems with my bladder and bowels but no pain hope this helps Sarah xx

• Posted

so, rest ..as in lay flat?

how difficult was it to sir up m, swing your legs over bedside, stand, and walk after surgery?

• Posted

The comfiest position for me after op was lying on my back. I'm lucky that I have a two seater sofa with very low squidgy arms on it. I'm 6ft 1" tall and the length was perfect for me to use one sofa arm as pillows and the other as a knee raise. I was advised to walk around at least every hour and to try to build my walking up to 3 miles within a day. For the first day and a half I struggled to move myself in the hospital bed, it was like I had no strength and no control over my lower body. The morphine that you have to ask for but can have every two hours, really helped with this. I was able to walk very slowly around the block after first week. I gradually built up the amount of walking. That's the key - don't rush things, but don't just lie there all day either or you'll seize up. Listen to your body.

• Posted

It seems that surgery always results in bowel and bladder dysfunction is that correct?
    • Posted

No not at all. My microdisectomy and recovery has been fine (nearly 2 years now). The first few weeks you have to be careful and manage recovery properly.
  • Posted

I've not had any problems with my bowel and bladder, I guess it depends where the surgery is and what type. There are so many risks with spinal surgery, you have to make sure it is your last resort, and are you willing to risk it to get rid of the pain

• Posted

Hope you don't mind me asking but how are your bladder and bowels now and when did you have your operation pls x

• Posted

I would like to add it wasn't even 12 hours post op and I got off the bed to use a commode

• Posted

it happens but not always. Bladder and bowel are innervated by sacral plexus which is just below L5
    • Posted

I couldn't wee post op. My bladder was full and they got me onto commode but I just couldn't do it. They had to put a bag in but after a couple of days I could go again. I was constipated for a couple of weeks, but that was because of morphine. I'm 8 months post op and both are working normally.

• Posted

So sorry to be a pain but how long after the operation was you normal again with bowels and bladder pls I am worried sick being 41 and feel like I am 70 xx
    • Posted

Bladder was normal 3 days post op. Bowels took longer because I was taking morphine for the first week after I came out of hospital. It took a while for the laxatives they gave me to work their way through my system, so it was about two weeks before I was able to have a bowel movement. However if you ask for it I think you can get a supositry which can clear you out within half an hour.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.