Leg cramps through the day then woken up at night with high blood pressure, whats the connection?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I HAVE HORRIBLE LEG CRAMPS THROUGHOUT THE DAY, THEN WHEN I FINALLY DECIDE I WANT TO FALL ASLEEP, I GET WOKEN UP OUT OF MY SLEEP FOR NO REASON WITH SUPER HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE. I KNOW THERE IS SOME KIND OF LINK.. I FEEL HORRIBLY AWFUL ALL DAY EVERY DAY LIKE SOMETHING IS "OFF". I HAD THYROID CANCER LAST YEAR, RECENT TESTS SHOW IM CANCER FREE.. PLEASE SOMEONE, ANYONE... HELP PLEASE!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

You have two issues, high blood pressure and I am guessing that your thyroid was excised.

What thyroid medication is being prescribed for you?

Are you taking any blood pressure medication?

I will post after I read your response

hugs.

• Posted

Thank u for replying.. I currently take synthroid 137 mg per day.. It was 175 mg a day but he recently changed it to 137 because my tsh was.138. Yes, my thyroid was removed due to thyroid cancer last september. I also take 4000 mg of calcium per day, calcitrol.5. Twice a day, and magnesium ox 400mg twice per day and ativan as needed for anxiety. I have never had blood pressure issues..throughout the day my bp is normal.. I had a really bad shaking spell last night out of nowhere and now both my arms and legs are soooo terribly achy. I need help!
  • Posted

Yes, you do. I will stick with you.

I lost my thyroid to cancer the day after 9/11.

TSH 1.38 is too high for a person who had thyroid cancer. TSH for us needs to be 0.05 or less but detectable. My TSH typically runs 0.01. Yes, that is hyperthyroidic, but hypothyroidic is prefered to cancer.

Calcium, great

Magnesium, great

You also need vitamin D to facilitate the absorption of the calcium

I am going to repost something for you to read. Thyroid is complex. I do not expect you to understand it all at once. One step at a time.

Thyroid is the thermostat of the body....if the thermostat goes out in your house, everything goes cold, the pipes freeze, then the pipes burst, and you have an incredible mess to clean up.

This is just some of what your body goes through...

fatigue

weight gain

muscle weakness

always feeling cold

dry skin

constipation

hair loss..breakage

depression

reduced heart rate

The symptoms worsen in direct proportion to how T3 and T4 deficient your body is. The body can not live without thyroid hormone.

We are a society that wants everything at warp speed...thyroid is ploddingly slow.

If I make a change in thyroid medication today, my blood will not show the full results of that change for 6 weeks. In my case, once T4 and TSH were where my endocrinologist wanted them, she increased T3 only. Think of a radio station, you have reception... and static. So you fine tune the reception with T3 and lose the static.

Pertaining only to those of us on Levothyroxine-Synthroid (T4), about half of us will feel great improvement if our T3 is about 75% of normal range, for me that level is about 3.7.

T4 (Thyroxine), named for it's 4 iodine atoms, maintains a relatively stable blood level and is therefore termed long acting.

T3 (Triiodothyronine), named for it's 3 iodine atoms, fluctuates and is therefore termed short acting.

Let us ingest T4 (Thyroxine, brand name Levothyroxine-Synthroid ) Our body takes in T4 and converts the T4 into T3 (Triiodothyronine) through chemical reaction. In other words, our body takes the 4 iodine atoms and converts the 4 iodine atoms into a new compound with only 3 iodine atoms.

So from a strick biological & chemical viewpoint, many say if I can use one chemical compound (T4) to make the other chemical compound (T3) in the body, I only need to administer the T4.

BUT many studies have shown that about half of us patients on T4 feel better taking both T4 and T3.

The argument of Armour's Thyroid versus Synthroid...

One grain of ARMOUR'S THYROID is 60 mg.

Each 60 mg of ARMOUR'S THYROID contains .038 mg (or 38 mcg) of T4

AND each 60 mg of ARMOUR'S THYROID contains 9 mcg of T3 , plus unmeasured amounts of T2, T1 and calcitonin.

SYNTHROID is all T4

which explains why the addition of CYTOMEL (which is all T3) makes fifty percent or so of SYNTHROID users feel so much better.

Remember T3 is a short half life which is why T4 is prescribed as the backbone of treatment...some of us do not effectively metabolize T4 into T3. For these individuals, supplemental T3 should be considered.

This is a lot for you to digest....

just remember, your pituitary gland secrets TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) which is the message for the thyroid to respond (for thyroid cancer patients too much TSH can reactivate the thyroid cancer somewhere else in the body) ...if the thyroid doe not respond, the pituitary gland releases more TSH, calling on the thyroid to respond...the thyroid remains inactive so the pituitary gland releases even more TSH, screaming at the thyroid...

You may not understand all of this but your endocrinologist will.

Some of us have a body that is inefficient at converting T4 into T3. I recommend Cytomel 5 mcg daily to begin with.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.