Hardware removal, tendon repair so depressed!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I had Orif surgery on my left ankle back in June of this year. It was one of The hardest recoveries I've ever had and I've had plenty of surgeries. I tore my deltoid tendon, have a 12in plate and 4 screws. My foot has not been the same since and was just finally told I don't need to wear a brace anymore. Go in for my checkup because im having pain and was told the large screw needs to come out, I have a good amt of scar tissue building up and a peroneal tendon tear. More surgery. I'm heartbroken its been such a long road. Has anyone gone through anything similar? I wonder if I'll ever be the same again.

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi I fell on 17 august and broke my fib and dislocated my foot so tenders were torn  I had a plate and screws on fib and a large screw to hold it all together. Pot on for 8 weeks then air boot , most of the pain came from swelling I think , just back to work as I'm a hairdresser and stand a lot , but like you I have been told to think about having the large screw out and going for pre op assessment today, but I was told its50/50 to have it out or not and consultant would not give me his opinion about having it out he said it is personal choice , and I really can't have more time of work it would be a general anaesthetic on day ward but I would have to be at work next day , my questions are is it worth having it out and the pros and cons of leaving it in , still painful and swollen

• Posted

Thank you wendy126,

I can't imagine standing all day after what you have been through! In my case I think I definitely need the larger screw out that goes through both the tib and fib. I can feel it with every step I take plus with the tendon repair I think I have no choice, however, the thought of the boot again kills me sad

Most things that I have read have positive feedback on screw removal but I like you worry about time off of work financially. If you do have the surgery I hope you can find a way to take a few days off. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond I am sending you a hug and healing wishes!

• Posted

I have not been through the identical surgeries but...

maybe my right hip fracture, right total knee replacement, fractured the right total knee replacement, right fibular fracture, right ankle fusion, right elevating osteotomies along with other bits and bobs sort of give me a good idea.

Hug...I had two hugh screws removedfrom my ankle a couple of years after they went in because they were backing out. It was a one stitch incision without pain...My surgeon said that it is not unusual for the body to push out a screw as it heals.

I have had a tendon repair...it was 6 weeks immobilized so that it could properly heal....think rubber band

I recently had a total elbow replacement ..during the surgery a previous repair was fractured...my lower arm have been splinted since Aug 30 and will be surgically repaired with yet another implant on January 6...it should finally give me my dominant arm back about January 27.

Purchase a bath stool, turn the shower on and have a good cry...it is a rotten break! And yes, you will be the same again.

Have you tried a knee scooter?

• Posted

You are an inspiration! You have been through so much I want to thank you for the words of encouragement.

I have used a knee scooter before and they are wonderful....it totally saved my sanity and still have my shower stool from my first surgery smile

I keep trying to take it day by day but this last year has felt like a slow motion movie.

I plan on having the surgery in the new year just trying to get through the holidays.

Sending you a big hug, healing thoughts and thank you so much!

• Posted

No one really understands what a fearful, heartbreaking, overwhelmingly stressful time it is post ORIF surgery. Following surgery this January, I was beset with fears everyday and confronted with multiple challenges on the path to recovery. Pain has been 24 hours a day. No one really prepares you and no one comprehends the daily challenge

Trust me, healing and respite will come. I had to fight for my recovery and that meant changing consultants when I knew something was wrong and was continually getting dismissed. It has taken an incredible amount of emotional and physical energy to get where I am now and, most of the time, I was right to go with my instincts. I read a lot and used all my resources into healing which includes scar tissue massage to prevent adhesions and restrictions, reducing Physiotherapy when it flared up my foot and devising my own more gentle workouts.

11 months on, I am beginning to see the light of day.

Good luck in your recovery.

• Posted

Thank you for responding. No one really knows is very true. I am so happy for you that things are finally starting to heal and feel better. I agree that we need to trust our instincts. I'm going to try to do more research on the scar tissue massage since my surgeon is very concerned with it causing issues.

11 months is a long time, thank you for reaching out to me. I wish you well in the rest of your recovery. It is people like you, that keep people like me, able to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

"Hugs".

• Posted

Hello. I had ORIF surgery September 28th. Broke my tibia in 2 places...broke my fibula and grossly dislocated my ankle. I slipped in water on tile floor and my left leg went under and back on floor..I had surgery 4 day's later. I had a plate and 4 screw's and a pin put in. I left out of recovery in a splint due to swelling. I (insanely) unwrapped splint to see wound site....well. I got an airborne infection!!!!! The pain quadrupled then!!!! I had staples on both sides of my ankle... Well...when I went to my Ortho.'s follow up Appt.4 day's later. They discovered the severe infection...They reamed my but too for unwrapping it causing it. I was given K Flex 500 milligram antibiotics. X 4 a day. And Hydrocodone refill.They re splinted it because the bruising and swelling was soooooo bad.Re exrayed. it and sent me home . I live on the third floor and It was by the grace of God that I even made it up to my apartment. I had to also take an under the tongue pill for nausea...ice and elevate it. I had never broken a bone or had a surgery.... I was totally depressed and afraid of loosing my job...(which I eventually did btw) smh.... Next week. Another x-ray checked infection more antibiotics. Resplinted it...too swollen to hard cast it. Next week....had 1st hard cast infection almost gone.... Soooo I thought. Alright finally a cast...now I won't have to come back up here for 4-6 week's. ..NOT!!! In total I had 5 cast...weekly they would saw it off re x-ray and check infection and re cast it!!!!!. Staples got taken outing believe around 17th day. CRAZY TIMES#@:+;+...Now....In 9 week's out. In a boot cast because I got my 5th cast wet inside it...it was a weekend so I went to ER...I left there in a boot cast. I was sick to death of going to Ortho. ya'll and so when I called them on Monday am....they said; " Oh no!!!! You are NOT READY to be out of a hard cast you MUST come in and get recasted...... I just said...No...I'm not going to. Said my oldest sons wedding is this Sunday and I'm gonna dance with him at his reception#@:@:@. Soooo. They were mad ofcourse....So after 6 week's is when I went into a boot cast and I never went back to the Ortho. either. I just pray that I didn't screw myself up for life by NOT go g back for that last hard cast. I have no pain. Slight selling only. No limp... Soooo I'm thinking the Ortho. knew what he was doing and everything from here on out is fine with it. What a hard depressing 9 week's this has been. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. I,m just doing the alphabet exercise and wearing boot cast outside of apt. Only. Not gonna do P.T.. I have to now look for another job. Thanks to a crappy boss. ( should've sued him!!!! J's) Thank God I do sit down work at least.

Hope some thing I've said help's someone somehow...this is great forum and it's helped me get through this hard, hard time. Thanks ya'll ...hang in there.💖💖💖

• Posted

Oh I'm so sorry!!!! You have been through so so much. One if the hardest things for me was being trapped in 1 floor with my cast. I can remember crying trying to go up the stairs on my butt. I had no arm strength at all.

I think as long as you follow through with the cast you have and do your exercises you should be ok. I did or for 8 weeks and all I did was ride a stationary bike, do abc exercises all of which I could have done on my own. Just make sure you do scar massage because it can cause problems like me down the rd.

Just knowing that there are others feeling the same way had helped so much, please hang in there too you will get through this." Hugs"

• Posted

My physical therapist did it each time I wen it's when they massage the area where scar tissue can build up. The massaging hero's ti break it down so it does not interfere with your mobility. Unfortunately in my case I have to much scar tissue and I have to have the area cleaned out when they remove the large screw.

• Posted

Sorry abt the spelling!
    • Posted

I have a small knot about half the size of a golf ball that feels warm and red....I wander if that's scar tissue built up? Can I do or google massage scar tissue to do it myself maybe?

• Posted

Happy, that sounds more like an infection...swollen, red, warm

Perhaps check with your surgeon first

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.