I have severe pain in my right leg and hip after having a lumbar laminectomy just over a week ago.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Any suggestions?

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I wouldn't worry. You are a week out from surgery. It'll take you at least 6 months to be fully recovered.

• Posted

I was just surprised by the amount of pain in my leg after the surgery.  It's always worse at night.  Thank you for your input.

• Posted

It's a big operation, you will still have lots of pain.

Take your painkillers without a break, don't wait for the pain to kick in.

You should find it getting easier over the next few weeks, as you are healing and the bruising goes down.

If it gets any worse, ring your Dr for advice.

Hope you on feel better.x.

• Posted

I have realized that with the painkillers that if I don't stay on top of them it takes longer for them to kick in once the pain flares up.  I'm also nervouse about becoming dependent on them.

• Posted

If you do, you can wean yourself off them. It's really early days, and from what I can remember, it was really painful for the first couple of weeks, couldn't turn over in bed without pain.

This is when you need pain relief.

I didn't have leg pain before, but did for a while afterwards, and was told it was the swelling inside pressing on the nerve.

• Posted

I had the same op in Feb. The operation is major, you must rest, it takes a long time to heal take your painkillers. It will be a few months before things calm down. The pain in the hip and leg is normal, you are only a week down the line. I was in hospital for nearly a week. Please do rest, little walks a few times a day and painkillers.

Wish you well

• Posted

It is way too soon for soe major issues.  What does your surgeon say.  Are you wearig your brace all day except at bedtime.  You must walk to get those muscles moving.  I have had 3 surgeries on my back and fused from L2-L5.  It took me at least two months before I felt good.  Talk to the surgeon that is the best advice I can offer and always wear that brace from the time you get out of bed until you go back to bed. No driving for awhile.  Good luck.
    • Posted

How many people actually get a brace?? I've had 3 surgeries and about to go for a fourth and never had a brace yet!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.