Life with bells palsy

Posted , 7 users are following.

Ive had it will be 5 years febuary & I haven't been able to find any doctors to help me. I can't smile 😔 I'm so depressed since I got it. I was 5 mths pregnant with my daughter and it's like I don't like to take pictures and I'm sad she will never get to see me smile the right way. I just feel so broken

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I am so sorry to hear this. I have only seen a few with long lasting/permanent effects.

the only thing I can suggest is seeing a neurologists and talking about electronic stimulation. Results are not guaranteed but one of my patients with permanent Palsy can now smile slightly on the effected side. And it has lifted his spirits more than I could have imagined.

I hope you can find something

• Posted

I feel for you.  I have been 2 1/2 years with BP.  Drs. don't know much about this.  They all say , most people get over this.  Well, that doesn't say much about us that still have it.  My eye runs, can't smile, very self conscious.  I don't like to even be in public.  Seeing a Dr. again this week about constant eye dripping.  Has anyone had stents put in eye ducts????? 

• Posted

I do wish we knew more about the cause, treatment and prevention of Bell's Palsy. I have been studying it for years and every patient I meet with Bell's is as curious as I am to what the actual cause is. I had it a few years ago and I am very determined to find a better treatment.

• Posted

I haven't had the eye stents but febuary 9th will be 5 yrs for me . Yes I hate when the doctors say. Most people get over it or it doesn't last long . Well it's been almost 5 yrs so find away to FIX me . I can't smile

• Posted

I know what caused mine, cold wind blowing in my ear, then bad earache.  I just want to know why mine is so permanent.  My eye tears constantly and runs down my face.  Every Dr. I go to just refers me to a new Dr.  My affected eye also is much smaller than the other.  I have had plastic surgery on the eye lid but it is still smaller.
  • Posted

I am so sorry for you, I'm sure you are still beautiful, I got it at the end of September and it now Dec, 12th It looks better but i to am ready to smile. I've taken therapy and i also bought a hand held back vibrator from Walmart, it was oly 5 bucks, You might want to try that also. Good luck, Iris

• Posted

My BP happened 2 years ago.  I got back to somewhat normal is a few months.  I had acupuncture on the left side of my face.  But my smile is still crooked and my left eye is smaller and puffy.  When I eat the left side of my face lifts and my left eye almost closes.  When I eat with others I use a napkin frequently to hide the awkward look of my left side.  One doctor said the acupuncture stimulated the left side and has made it 'stronger'.  My new eye doctor said botox has been successful for some patients.  I am going to try that in Jan.  We just made our Christmas cards using 4 different photos, one was of my husband and me.  I hate it, I never like pictures of myself anymore.   All I see when I look at the card is my smile.  I am not a vain person but I don't like to look different.  I do feel bad for you Mary with a young child and never feeling comfortable with yoour smile.  I have learned how to speak and keep my face in motion to hide the crooked mouth.

• Posted

It's crazy how it affects everyone's left side . I'm learning when I do get stuck taking pictures to stand hiding my left side lol then I don't look so bad.

• Posted

Are you not afraid that botox will freeze you nereves in an akward state? Have you tried the kenetci tape and a hand held back massager? I'm getting better daily, I think a lot of it is due to my persitance. my physical therapist also suggested that I imagine smiling." See yourself smile he said" I wake up an i smile, I smile as much as possible. Be confident, Im sure your beautiful! Have a great day! 

• Posted

Where do I get the tape ?
    • Posted

Walgreens, or Rite Aid, maybe CVS, It helps hold your face. You have to cut it in strips anyway you like. I was shown by my PT, she started from the bottom of ny face and went up.Good luck,don't forget the hand help massager. Walmart its only 5 bucks!

• Posted

The doctor said it is not the type of botox that actresses use...I will ask many more questions at the Jan. consultation. 

• Posted

I use it on my face at least twice a day, and i can say i see a difference, but as i said before i also had physical therapy. Have you tried that kenetic tape? I think thats how you spell it (LOL) It helps also, I wear it in public also. I'm not ashamed because I've always been a confident person. I'm determined, and slowly but surely its better daily. Thank God, so don't sit around sulking girls, get out and live! We were fearfully and wonderfully made!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.