Gallbladder removed three and a half weeks ago. How long before it stops hurting?

Posted , 4 users are following.

had my gallbladder remove laparoscopically three and a half weeks ago. Wounds have healed well but still feel constant aching in the area of my gallbladder and some bloating. How long should it take for the pain here to subside. I am worried because I had a 20% functioning GB and the consultant said there would be no guarantees that the pain I was experiencing would be relieved. Just want to know if I'm being a bit impatient here.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Well, three and a half weeks is still early days for you...internal stitches can take up to six months in some cases.  The external ones always heal sooner.  Try a heating pad for the pain, that might help. One would hope that the pain you were experiencing was because of your malfunctioning gallbladder.  But sometimes the body develops a reflexive pain response that's still there after the cause of the pain is removed.  

If it doesn't subside, I'd suggest accupuncture.  I had my gallbladder removed i 2009 and still get twinges in that area.

Best of luck, and let me know how you get on!  

• Posted

I would also suggest taking a probiotic for the bloating. I've read it helped a lot of people and it helped me as well.

• Posted

I had too go on bile supplements at every meal too stop my pain because we no longer have bile too break down fat and when you eat fat it hurts.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.