Is it possible to have permanent damage from untreated PTSD?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi guys,

quick question.. Is it possible to suffer permanent damage (in the head) from severe PTSD symptoms being untreated for years?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Yes, it is very important you take urgent advice if this has happened. Talk to and take advice from your GP

B.

• Posted

cant answer your question directly. I hope that perm damage isnt possible tho. I've been not right since the late 80's after watching a friend die, then compounded in the early 90's by a bunch of other dead folk. Most in several parts and or burnt. I've done my best to self sort but 30 years later I have reached out for help. Doc said I have ptsd, I'm in a waiting list to see a shrink. Should be fairly quick as vets jump the queue. Combat stress also are going to help. If this is perm, it wont be good. So far I have managed it fairly badly. I'm hoping it can be sorted.

• Posted

The longer something is present within our concious the more reinforced it becomes within our minds. But with the right approach and willpower there is definitely room for improvement nevertheless of someone's situation.

So in summary the longer your issues are present the more difficult or timely it might be to get over them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.