Depression is starting after hemorrhoid surgery

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had surgery 9 dsys ago. I'm having the worst time with my bm's. The cutting, burning, make you almost past out pain is there. Even when I pass gas it burns. I do t want to eat or drink. I know I should but the pain is to much. I had no idea it would be this severe. I'm a waitress with two kids, don't get me wrong, my husband is a huge supporter, but as a mom I feel worthless durning the holidays😢😢

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi niasbae. I'm sorry to hear abt. Your bad experience after surgery.I am 17 days post op. Please try to take prune juice ,your stool softener and instead eating of a regular food . eat wheat bread,vegetables and fruits . oatmeal ,and oatmeal drink,yogurt, i made lettuce as my snacks as well as papaya . my doctor told me that i can now eat meat but i don't believe him . But anyway no worries because you are still recovering from the surgery i've been there and i can tell you at first i regret abt. Having it done ,but now ? No way .. Because it's all worth it once i seat on the toilet i can easily pass out bm. Make sure youre not straining so that your hemorrhoid will not comeback again .and also are you done w/ your follow up check up w/ your doctor? Consult him or her why is it happening . you're not suppose to be constipated because surgery will be pointless.

• Posted

Thank you, just knowing the pain will get better is giving me hope.I just made a fish soup with a light broth, maybe that will help having a bm.I see the Dr next week and hopefully I will have healed enough to go back to work.I wish the Dr would gave been honest, at least I could have prepared better.
    • Posted

Good, go away w/ fishy food for now because it will make your recovery slower.

Search it on internet.how's the area on the surgery? Is there a swelling? Just don't forget the basic sitz bath and take lots of water and stool softiner.

• Posted

Aahh honestly that's what I was like at the beginning and it really is a long healing process. It seems to jump to things getting better rather than a gradual improvement?

Lots of hot baths help, pat dry, keep up the fibre but use a stool softener as you don't want to be constipated or stools to formed, as they are BAD to come out.

As I say, I'm 2 months on & I'm 'just' finding the b/m slightly easier. The first one is the worst tho, it's like broken glass with lemon juice!!! Stay strong, it does get better, it's just a slow process x

• Posted

Thanks for the positiveness❤im so glad to have found a community that knows how I feel!
  • Posted

I too had no idea how bad things were going to be, there are certainly times when you just can't imagine things being any worse. But count the days behind you - you have already done 9 - that's great!  (I was still in hospital after the surgery going wrong at that time)  so you doing well.

I would try to cut out as much meatand dairyas posisble. Research foods that will pass through you easily. I blended one meal a day. Just fruit. Pineapple is a natural healer. ginger. apples. Beetroot (red beet). 

Are you sing a Sitzbath? Not only through the day to ease the pain but I also used it to have a BM in - not the greatest thing but the warm water certainly helped and then I stood up immediately and showered to avoid infection. 

You don't want your stool too soft but I do still take 2 stool softeners a day and the most help is taking Psyllium (best one is by Konsyl) if you are in the US. Mix one spoon in a 3/4 full bottle of cold water, shake it well and drink it quickly before it thickens. It adds fiber and acts as a natural laxative to help you have a BM.

You are not worthless by any means- this does get you down - but you are allowed to feel sick and down without being guilty. Right now the time needs to be for you. 

• Posted

Thank you so much?i needed that. I haven't heard of that stool softener but I will send some one on the hunt for me. The softener I'm taking now is generic and is not getting the job done!

• Posted

I do use a sitz bath but find the shower soothes me a little better. Is there something I should be putting in the water?
    • Posted

Psyllium is a natural fiber. (Similar to Metamucil or some others but Natural Psyllium does not include any fake sweetners or other junk) . I take 2 x stool softeners a day - 1 morning, 1 night PLUS a bottle of Psyllium mix. Don't use warm water - it gets thick quickly. Not much taste but you want to drink it quickly. Make sure you are drinking  a LOT of water every day. 

In my blend of foods for the day I also add green veggies - kale is good. cucumber, carrots,prune juice, aloe vera,  honestly anything I could blend - as I couldn't face eating anything. To keep up on my protein I had cashew butter on gluton free bread every morning. 

I had a friend who swears by witch hazel to take down the swelling. I was too afraid to put anything in the water. I had Lidocaine Cream for pain relief and hydrocortisone suppositries and ointment. 

I still have to use a suppositry every day and I am 5 months post op this week. But I had a lot of issues (Doc mistake) so you will be better a lot faster than me. 

I was happy to have a BM every morning becasue that meant I could relax for the rest of the day. I have to take Psyllium every day to make that happen. 

Agreed - showers are  really nice, just letting the water run down your back for ages. Maybe take warm baths if you can - just try and sit in for a while and relax. 

• Posted

I just wanted to say its day10 and the pain is becoming tolerable. Ginger Root Tea and vasilne how worked wonders! Because the pain is tolerable and I can focus on food intake. Breakfast was oatmeal fruit water fiber sub, lunch was Lima beans eggs spinach water, dinner lettuce wraps with cottage cheese Lima bean and a sprinkle of hamburger, just enough to taste because I don't want meat now and water. I made a cup of ginger tea with the real root and I have to say its making me feel uplifted. I hope everyone can find a way to deal with the pain.

Speedy recovery to all?

• Posted

Sounds like things have got better for you even since yesterday. That's great. Keep progressing.

• Posted

I was putting table salt in my shallow bath water for the first month. I read on here that coconut oil is good at healing so I've started using that instead.

My healing was quite slow & I felt red raw, it took me a good 6 wks for it all to calm down. Although I still can't wipe after a b/m at 2mths, I have to pat & then use the shower head.

It's mentally draining & I felt it was 2 steps forward & 1 step back. I can't wait for the day when I'm back to 'normal'.

• Posted

My heart goes out to you! My healing process is now on an up hill climb. Today there was slight pain during the bm. I must say I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I'm now able to move around a whole lot more. Switching up my diet has helped tremendously. This morning i had applesauce oatmeal peaches water fiber sup. I'm only eating little portions but enough to be quite full.I try to get in 24oz of water in. Lunch was a boiled egg red leaf lettuce spinach cottage cheese fib sub peaches. Snack was a banana. Dinner baked chicken wings spinach and a fixed yellow rice but decided not to eat it. I felt like I needed to have a bm but nothing came out. After two good ones this am I feel like my body is trying to regulate itself. At least I hope because in two days I return to work. The ginger root tea has worked so well. I'm used to drinking coffee but now with this whole life changing experience I'll do the healing tea from now on. Life is getting there slowly. I hope my post gives you all some ideas of what to eat to help your BMS be less painful. I need ideas as well. I know I'm changing my household eating habits. This processed food is killing us from the inside out. Literally! So day 11for me went OK, way better then before!,Almost better😲

Speedy recovery to all, and thanks for the advice!?

• Posted

Day 13, what I have learned is that too much fiber will set you back a day or two! U was so focused on eating a good diet that a consumed to much. I have had 4 bms this morning and I feel another on the way! The pain is now back! Now so much burning but very painful to keep going. I had oatmeal fiber sub water 24oz, lunch was a huge salad packed with various nuts fresh fruit and a little cottage cheese water fiber sub, dinner baked chicken kale spinach mix water prunes . I got greedy later that night and decided to eat a bowl of raisin bran.Omg I'm suffering today. Price I pay for being greedy. Anyway today I must balance my in take, this recovery is draining me! Up down,👆 👇!! Hopefully I can get it back together..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.