Is this really the cause of my symptoms ?!

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been really unwell for 4 months now. My main symptoms and intial symptoms were severe nausea, loss of appetite and odd leg throbbing / -aching especially upon waking up. I then had 4 episodes of severe and I mean severe chest pain and an ultrasound showed cholecystitis and small stones. I'm not waiting for surgery to remove my gallbladder. I just don't see how that can be the source of all my symptoms. And scared it's just a red herring or coincidental find and I really want to feel better. Any one been through this and found it was the gallbladder all along. And felt better after surgery. I just don't get how I don't get pain all the time but I'm almost always feeling sick, have throbbing legs and I throw up most mornings yellow bile. Please help

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Just to add. Ultrasound findings were slightly thickened gallbladder wall, some small stones and some sludge.
  • Posted

I don't know about the throbbing legs. But obviously, you DO have gallbladder issues and stones. I have a gallstone. A big one. My main and worst problem has always been nausea. My nausea went from now and then, and it being irritating, to almost all the time and I often have to stay in bed all day. I found if I try to "power through" the nausea and do the things I need to do, I WILL throw up. And then I will be likely to continue to do so the rest of the day. I have very bad constipation with my gallstone. For me if I can manage to go to the bathroom everyday I can be free of nausea most of the time. I have not had my gallbladder removed. I admit I am afraid to go through that and still have the nausea anyway. 

• Posted

I'm not sure about the legs, but everything else sounds like gallbladder symptoms. I woke up nauseous every morning before having surgery - all gone now. The yellow bile is from your gallbladder - it must reflux back into your stomach during the night and you end up throwing it up in the morning. I must have not had THAT bad of reflux to the point of throwing up. I definitely had loss of appetite as well. Your discomort might make you sleep strange and cause the throbbing/aching. I had lower back pain, especially after laying down for longer periods of time and that oddly enough is also gone after surgery. I've found it's amazing what the gallbladder can do to your body, whether it's directly or indirectly related. The gallbladder may not be a source of ALL of your symptoms, but I'd bet it's causing SOME of your symptoms. My surgeon even only gave me a 50/50 chance of it helping me, but I figured a small shot of getting better is worth not feeling like crap every day. If it wasn't my gallbladder, then that at least eliminated something and we can start looking other places. I'll say that I'm lucky that they surgery seemed to help me a lot. It's not a guarantee for everyone unfortunately, but the horror stories that you read about online are truly horror stories and are only 3-5% of the 700,000+ gallbladder removals that happen every year.

• Posted

Hi. Thanks for that. It's nice to hear something a bit more reassuring. Can I ask was he nausea one of your main symptoms and did it last you long? Mine can be all day every day for weeks. Then a few good days then back to the nausea. Without pain too. Nothing seems to trigger it like food etc it can just happen anyway. It's ruining my daily life now sad

• Posted

I woke up with nausea every morning. Brushing my teeth seemed to make it subside a bit, like I just had a bad taste in my mouth. I would be nauseous for most of the morning and my appetite would be gone until about 3pm. As the nausea subsided, the discomfort in my right side increased. Then the discomfort would be gone in the morning and the nausea would be back. It was like a neverending battle but it's all gone since the surgery. I've read a lot of people's first and worst symptom was constant nausea and the pain came later while they were being tested.

That was my last straw was it ruining my daily life. I couldn't stand feeling like crap anymore and I'm still not 100% - I'm overweight to begin with so I still have some other issues that I need to deal with. I was pretty scared of the surgery (my first one) but the constant feeling of illness outweighed the fear at some point and I just dove in.. Or let them dive in haha!

• Posted

Sorry you're still suffering. Hope you get better with the other issues soon. I was just so worried that because I don't have pain all the time. Just randomly that it was just incidental and the nausea would be another issue. I haven't read many stories of nausea being other people's main symptom so I feel more reassured now. Nervous as anything about the surgery. Felt like I was signing my life away when o signed my consent form after being told of all the complications that could arise lol. Haven't been out to sleep or had surgery since I was 10 years old so 22years now. Terrified 😬

• Posted

I must have wrote that wrong above, because I'm not still suffering. After having surgery I'm pretty much 100% now.

I had never had surgery before so I can relate to the terrified feeling! smile It's honestly not that big of a deal. You'll be hurting for a few days afterwards - take the pain meds they give you if you need to. I took OTC pain meds for 2 days and didn't take the prescribed medicine so for me it wasn't all THAT painful. Like my surgeon said, don't be a hero! If you need the pain meds, TAKE them!!

• Posted

Could you please help me by explaining if your nausea got better with removal of stones. I have currently have stones in gall bladder but no pain at all. Could this be cause of nausea in morning being worse and staying some days the whole day.
    • Posted

I didn't have stones, but yes my nausea went away after surgery.

• Posted

I have a large gallstone. I have no pain (knock on wood) either. I have nausea. The stone IS the cause of bad nausea in the mornings and I stay in bed or on the couch the whole day, on a fair few days. I have not had surgery. I try to make sure I can have a bowel movement every morning. I canNOT always. Then I am sick. If I can go, I have a pretty good day.
    • Posted

thanks for the information. It helps to understand that dr who look for pain as only symptom before taking any action

• Posted

Sorry to learn that you're having these problems.  A diseased gallbladder can cause what you're going through.  Every person is a bit different, so symptoms vary, accordingly.  If you want to feel better, know that an ultrasoound can't always show smaller stones and sludge. If your gallbladder is diseased, it can stress your entire digestive system, and cause problems with your liver and pancreas that are severe, and can be life threatening.

Many of the people on this site had to beg resistant doctors to remove their very diseased gallbladders.  Get yourself to a gastroenterologist who can properly diagnose and treat what's going on with you.  

Best of luck, and let us know how you do! 

• Posted

Thank you. I'm on the waiting list for laparoscopic gallbladder removal and it's going to be sometime after Christmas. As they saw sludge small stones and inflammation. Also having a camera down my throat and a colonoscopy on the 19th December to rule out any other issue as I've had loose greasy stools also almost daily since the nausea started. It's been a rough few months x

• Posted

I think you'll feel better after it's gone.  I'm glad you're getting an endoscopy and colonoscopy!  Preparing for them is not fun, but at least you know your doctors are concerned!

Please let me know how you do!  

• Posted

I know. I'm dreading the prep the day before. Everyone has told me how horrible it is! Not exactly looking forward to the procedures either but needs must x

• Posted

Yes, it's definitely not fun, but you'll be able to know what's going on, or what's not going on afterwards!smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.