Post nasal drip, nasal congestion, hormonal problems! Any connection?

Posted , 5 users are following.

i´ve been suffering very badly from thick sticky mucus, nose congestion, and recently abdominal pain, mainly on the right side! Nothing detected yet by doctors! My Thyroid levels are in normal range based on the the last measurments according to my GP! Can hormone imbalance be the culprit to my symptoms? Anyone?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Can't guess if there is a connection between nasal problem and abdominal pain. You do say that you had thyroid hormone tests run. Do you have thyroid problem symptoms ?  Did your doctor do a physical abdomen exam? Did he do a liver panel?  

• Posted

The connection is not well konwn if there is any at all! That´s for sure!

Well, i´ve a bad tinnitus, bad focus and concentration problems, terrible hair loss! 

Which kind of abdomen exam and liver panel you would recommend? 

I´ve done gastroscopy! Nothing detected!

It´s not necessary any connection between abdomen and upper respiratory problems! But never know!

• Posted

I have seen several posts here from people starting certain thyroid medication having flu like symptoms.

Otherwise, hormone imbalances can result in a depressed immune system. Some people with thyroid disease have anti thyroid antibodies high enough that they need their levels to be at the top of the range to be effective. If you're still having thyroid symptoms, you may need to have your levels on the high en to feel well.

Also, many people with thyroid disease have stomach problems and food sensitivities. Particularly wheat and gluten cause problems for people with thyroid disease.

Dairy can also cause the symptoms you're mentioning as well.

• Posted

Hi Catherine, well I don´t have any idea what my thyroid antibodies level should be around in order order to be in the high end level to feel well. 

In 2013 my TSH level were at 2.2, free T3 was 4.2 and free T4 was at 15.0. At that time I didn´t have any considerable complaints. In 2015 the TSH level was. In 2015 my TSH level was 4.5, T4 was 22.9. In 2015 the TSH level was at 3.4, free T4 at 20.0 and T3 6.1! 

There is a variation but I don´t have any idea how to interpret these data! 

Have you?

Thanks!

• Posted

I have terrible post nasal drip which is all in my throat and nose, that makes me feel congested and I have to keep clearing my throat all day.  I asked my endo, and he said that post nasal drip is common with hypothyroidism.  So, I did my research and sure enough there is a connection.  Not sure if this is whats causing your thick musus and nasal congestion, but I though I would mention it, in case it applies to your symptoms.  I found also that post nasal drip sensation can be caused by excessively thick secretions.  So, I see that thick mucus is a part of post nasal drip, which may be what you have?  Not too sure on right side abdominal pains.  It depends on where your pain is, what type of pain, and if it's acute or chronic.  Now that all being said.. you actually never stated if you have hypothyroidism?  You mentioned your thyroid test were normal but never said if it was because your on thyroid meds or not?  So, if you do not have hypothyroidism and are asking if your symptoms could be thyroid related, then I would have to tell you that you would probably have a bunch of other symptoms that are more common with hypothroidism first or together, which can be fatigue, constipation, hairloss, slow heart rate, dry skin, weight gain,  feeling cold all the time, low body temp, puffy face, weakness, depressed mood..ect..  So, if you have some or most of these symptoms, then I would continue to keep looking for thyroid issues and get your thyroid antibodies tested, if they are negative, then it is most likely not thyroid related and you have to look elsewhere, but if they are positive, then you have Hashimoto's.  Best wishes...

• Posted

Hi Melissa!

I have a fulle range of symptoms that fit very well. If they are related to thyroid imbalance or not, I have no idea! The GP is normally not concerned of hormonal issues!

This is my thyroid data, if the can tell you anything: 

In 2013 my TSH level were at 2.2, free T3 was 4.2 and free T4 was at 15.0. At that time I didn´t have any considerable complaints. In 2015 the TSH level was. In 2015 my TSH level was 4.5, T4 was 22.9. In 2015 the TSH level was at 3.4, free T4 at 20.0 and T3 6.1! 

And I´m not on any medications regarding the thyroid, never been!

Thanks!

• Posted

I´m also extremely intolerant to physical activity! That makes my mucusa layer to be totally on fire. It follows with pain around my nose and cheeks, even thicker  and more mucus secretions, stuffiness and so on!!! 

• Posted

I don't have an awful lot to offer in terms of knowledge or advice, just thought I'd chime in on the abdominal pain. My thyroid function was tested recently and was normal, but my antibodies were high. I have suffered Hypothyroid type symptoms for some time. I also used to suffer terrible right side abdominal pain and was diagnosed with a grumbling appendix. Until one day it burst, I had to have it taken out during an open procedure and a week stay in hospital for Peritonitis. Persistent right side abdominal pain should never be ignored. Good luck.

• Posted

Vonny, thanks so much for sharing... the subacute appendicitis/ burst appendix and peritonitis us something I've also dealt with. I feel the infection caused by the appendix accelerated the autoimmune reaction to the thyroid as well as sensitivity to gluten. 

Melissa, also, thanks. My mother has struggled with thyroid  disease and excessive phlegm for decades. Didn't occur to me there could be a connection,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.