The waiting game to see if i receive PIP.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Afternoon all,

​I am sure many of you have seen my posts over the past couple of months.

​I think the process of my form went quickly, i called up DWP to claim PIP on 14th October, received forms and sent off three weeks later, last week i received a letter for my assessment and this week i had my assessment.

​I dont know if that is the normal time spam process or that it was quick.

I couldnt remember every little things in my form when it came to my assessment but i did the best i could.

​Hoping i dont have to wait too long to find out my verdict, i hope i receive enhanced mobility as i wish to learn to drive and i cannot do that unless i receive enhanced as adaption need to be made for me.

​If i receive both or either PIP will it be backdated to the 14th October?

​Can anyone share their stories on how long their process took and what their outcome was.

Thank you.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi, it should be backdated to 14th October provided you're not already on DLA.  

I think your claim has been dealt with very quickly.  I'm still in the process and I was asked to apply back in April.  It's been one problem after another.  Getting a paper PIP1 form which they denied existed initially took quite some time.  Then the PIP2 form took a couple of weeks to arrive.  I had to have an extension of 2 weeks to return that as I was ill at the time and my GP was on leave so I wasn't able to get a letter of support from her.  I was sent one appointment for an assessment which was too far away so I had to rearrange that.  The next one I missed because I was very ill.  My file then went back to DWP and it took them a few weeks to decide that I had a good reason for not attending my appointment.  Since then I've had several appointments made and then cancelled at short notice, one when I arrived at the assessment centre.  I'm still waiting for an assessment to go ahead.  I have one booked for a couple of weeks time but I expect the cancellation phone call or letter will come next week.  I read early on in my claim about the problems people were having with their claims so I knew it was a possibility but I never thought this many months on I'd still be waiting for the assessment.

• Posted

Getting a paper PIP1 form which they denied existed initially took quite some time.

​How did you manage to get that form out of them? Did you exceed the 30 days in which you have to start off the PIP claim? How did you get away by exceeding the time limit.

​In my case I wrote them two letters (2 weeks apart and both within the 30 days allowed) asking for the PIP1.

​They told me that they had not received either letter and as such they assumed that I had not posted them. Anyhow I was out of the 30 days by this time so they closed down my DLA award as well as refusing me the PIP option.

• Posted

I wrote to them requesting it initially.  That was ignored.  I went through the sample form online, put all my answers in another letter hoping they'd start my claim using that information, again ignored.  I don't believe that they didn't get either of those letters, they just chose to do nothing with them.

I then got someone to call for me (panicking when it was near the deadline to start my claim) and they were passed back and forward and told that the form didn't exist.  I pointed them to their own website where it was mentioned that the form could be requested and they had to ask around to find out about it.  I did eventually receive it.  It was a battle though.  Although at that point I was near the deadline, it might even have been on the deadline, they sent the PIP1 form out with a further 28 days to return it so I did get it back to them by the new deadline they'd given me.

• Posted

Thanks Scally

?When I received the 'offer' letter from the DP I looked at the sample PIP1 form on the web as well as the script that they use if you telephone to start the claim off.

Typical of the DWP they miss a lot of important bits off on the phone that is on the PIP1.

?If you ring them many options are never offered.

?Also they try to force you to agree that you can complete the form properly without help. The script tells the DWP that if you say that you will find it difficult they keep coming back with the same questions time and time again until you do agree.

?It's no wonder that they don't want people filling the PIP1 out, it makes their life more difficult.

?For a start on the form you can indicate which benefit you have previously claimed may have important evidence on the files. They are to obtain all of those files for you and send copies to you, then you can pick what evidence you want them to see and what evidence you don't want them to look at.

?They are also required to send you a list of where your data is used and why - who gets to see what before they get any clearance from you.

?You have important rights that the DWP would prefer that you don't claim them - it makes it more time consuming for them.

?In fact there are questions on the PIP1 and the telephone script that have no real right being on there. The form and script actually asks you to supply more information than you are legally required to do so as per the PIP regulations.

?The telephone script does not give you any indication that you are not obliged to give it - you are made to believe that whatever they ask you must answer.

?Until such time as their telephone script matches the legal requirements contained in the regulations as well as making the claimant aware of their rights - making the phone call is only there to help the DWP - not you.

?I too believe that these letters that are sent asking for the PIP1 aren't lost, they are simply ignored hoping that you will ring them instead to get the claim underway. High time that this was brought out into the public eye.

• Posted

Yes mine got backdated to the phone call, it only took 2 weeks from the assessment to getting a decison.

Good luck

• Posted

The length of time for the decision will depend on the backlog in your area. Hopefully for you it won't be too long. If you put a mobile number down on the form they'll text you when they have all the evidence they need. If not they usually send a letter out. The first time i applied almost 3 years ago it took 11 months for an assessment. This time with my review it was much quicker and took less than 2 months from the time i sent my form back. I got a decision just 4 days after my assessment. Let us know how you get on when your decision comes and hopefully for you it'll be good news.

• Posted

Thank you for your response, The only evidence that i had and could send in was a letter from my GP and a letter from my mother that i sent just after i sent my forms in. The assessor did ask if i took medication or anything but im a just a dwarf and nothing more to it. Im worried a lil because there isnt much evidence i have sent if other then what i have mentioned.
  • Posted

Hi I put my daughter pip in august last year .she had her medical last Thursday . They told me it will take up to 6 to 8 weeks . Phone them today. They told me they sent the decision out yesday . Just don't understand it x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.