Not had a period for over twelve months and stared a period about two weeks ago, it is very heavy

Posted , 10 users are following.

Having a period after non for over twelve months, it's very heavy and its been nearly two weeks now since it started with no signs of stopping? Is this normal?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Could be a number of things. Fibroids is one possibility. You definitely need to call the doctor's office.

• Posted

No, it's not normal. Especially if it's been two weeks. Call your doctor or go to the emergency room.

• Posted

Not sure Samantha it's hard to say the only reassurance I can offer is I've heard of other woman saying no bleeding for over a year then a heavy flow for a while , could be fibroids or polyps but if it dosnt ease up give your doc a call

Good luck xx

• Posted

Such a lengthy period of bleeding is not normal.  I suggest you contact your doctor.  If you feel as though the doctor's not interested in finding out what's going on, and is only interested in giving you pills or procedures that don't work, insist that they do so, or get referred to a gyn, who can get to the bottom of it.  Don't be fobbed off.

Best of luck to you, and let me know how you do! 

• Posted

Hiya, just to let you know been to doctors given me some

tablets to reduce the blood flow and wants me to have some blood tests and go for a scan.

• Posted

Okay, that's good.  Please let me know if the tablets work for you!

If he starts hemming and hawing, don't let him fob you off!  Not that there's anything worrying going on, but most anything is treatable if caught soon enough!  

Please let me know how you do!  ((BIG HUG))

• Posted

That is good Samantha. Think the blood test and scan are good

idea. I am sure you feel a bit better now you have seen the doctor.

I think the tablets will calm the blood flow down or even stop it.

I am convinced this is all part of menapause, but these tests

will put your mind at ease.

All the best to you, keep us informed😊😊

• Posted

I have had a regular period all my life.  I am 53 and I know I am going through changes but should I worry?  I had no period for 71 days, then I spotted(literally 1 spot a day) for 15 days.  Now I have been flooding(something I only use to do for a day and a half).  Its been 6 straight of bleeding through tamp and pad every 2 hours.  My friend says that I need to see the doctor if I bleed through every hour.  I feel ok except the nervousness, moody(a little) and the weight gain.  I actually lost 5 lbs since saturday11/26/16.  Like I asked, should I worry?

• Posted

Hi, Missy,

Sorry to learn you're going through this.  I know it can be very scary to keep bleeding. I think that you need to make an appointment with your doctor so that you can find out what's going on.  The 5lb loss tells me that you had a lot of material in your uterus that's being shedded.  Also, you could become anemic due to blood loss.  So, please see your doctor!  

Let me know how you do! xx

• Posted

I would say not normal after 12 months. Are you perimenopausal age? Should see an OBGYN and maybe have them check you for fibroid tumors.That can cause heavy flow.

Best regards

• Posted

Please get yourself checked as soon as possible, very important to do this, don't leave it, my daughter made me go after a slight bleed, I had precancerous cells atypical thickening of the womb lining, and the cells were changing so quickly, I had a hysterectomy 7 weeks later, I am waiting for results of histology report so please go xx

• Posted

Oh that is a bad blow Samantha. Don't know if that is normal, would

definitely get that checked by GP. Since you have had this period for two

weeks and it is so heavy you want it to stop, that is not on. How old are

You Samantha?

• Posted

I am 47. Did have a coil in but because I hadn't had a period

for over twelve months and started with the hot sweats had it

removed in August. At the same time as having a smear, that came back fine . I am going to make a doctor's appointment

Tomorrow. It's not only the bleeding but the amount of bleeding and the lower stomach pains.

• Posted

Yes this probably is a menapause symptom as at 47 you will be

well I to the throes of it now. I had something similar but it did not

last that long. There are some tablets that can stop the bleeding

so go to the doctors tomorrow as your iron will start to get low

from the blood loss.

I wish you all the best Samantha. Let us know how you get on☺

• Posted

Hiya been to see the doctor given me some tablets and wants

me to have a scan and blood tests.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.