on steriods 6 times this year !

Posted , 2 users are following.

This year started bad with chest infection then each month was always wheezy and breathless was hard as not had that until now so thought Oh no it is getting worse now Then fell to 37% from normally in the 70% Been on steriods each month or two and then had to go to doctor who told me my body must be used to them now and i need to be wheened of them now as its now depended on them so now each time with a flare up i get the full week of steriods then i go from 8 a day down to one for a while god i feel like a junkie. but must say i do love on steriods as i can breathe but as always i know to much is not so good just wish it was ok to stay on them and never get breathless tho x

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Yes steroids are grand. Since I developed an allergy to them I've been waiting for scientists to invent something newer and better. Hope you get to feeling better.

• Posted

just what I said previously:  https://patient.info/forums/discuss/clear-mucus-547038?page=0#2419695

However if you do have a chest infection you need to treat it asap in the usual dose of medicines, and if it doesn't clear after the first course check in again with your doctor, keep doing that until it clears.

If the lung infection doesn't clear and you neglect to seek professional help you risk further lung damage and deterioration in health.

Inhalers for COPD can and do help keep the condition stable, that is they help keep the airway open making breathing easier if taken regularly as I said before if a medicine is not working you need to back to see your doctor and communicate this.

When a patient has frequent lung infections the condition is unstable, this is when there is increased risk of lung damage and deterioration in health.  It is the patients responsibility to get help straight away and never neglect or delay treatment for a lung infection.

Links below:-

1) Abount Inhalers for COPD:    https://patient.info/health/inhalers-for-copd-including-inhaled-steroids

2) Management of Stable COPD:  https://patient.info/doctor/management-of-stable-copd

Something that happens with persistent chest infections, especially those that go untreated properly is a reduced lung function, this can improve again once the chest infection is cleared and the condition is managed properly.

It is usual generally for people with COPD to experience shortness of breathe, symptoms often can be exacerbated by weather conditions, air born pollutants, smoke of any kind, dust etc etc etc

If you have not attended a pulmonary rehabilitation programme this is advantageous for patients diagnosed with COPD, PR is by GP or respiratory consultant referral.  Helping patients to manage their symptoms and advises on what to do how to recognise chest infections and how to avoid further lung damage.

Further information on managing COPD you may find useful in:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/tips-know-the-difference-478568

Enough said.

Hope you are feeling better soon.

• Posted

well my problem with that is that i did keep going to doctors and in the end i was made to feel i was time wasting I knew myself i wasnt right but still waited on them to tell me yes its ok to go on steriods but what i got was the finger test and sd was ok, then  test for heart 2 weeks later was ok then i was getting worse so then finally chest infection and again 2 weeks later a phone call to get onto the steriods by then down to 37% so never again will i wait for them to tell me what i know

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.