DVT Dormancy?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am 49 years old and was recently diagnosed with DVT/PE.  Blood tests showed that there is no genetic cause, I have experienced no recent trauma, nor have I ever had any major surgery; however, I did have 2 serious calf muscle tears 9 and 11 years ago in the same leg as the DVT was recently discovered in.  Both times the tears caused extreme swelling and brusing in the calf.  Is it possible for a DVT to have resulted from this, to remain dormant for a number of years (9-11 years in my case), and then break up to cause PE?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Nope sometimes it just happens. The only thing they blamed mine on was

my hormone replacement therapy. But sometimes a DVT can just happen.

Your taking blood thinners right? You probably will only take them for 3-6

months but that was long enough for me. That was a pain in the ass.

Good luck to you. I'm glad it didn't move to your heart or lung.

• Posted

Hi, Thanks for replying.  The DVT did break up and spread to my lungs.  They discovered 4 clots in my lungs, had me on Heparin for 4 days in the hospital, and then put me on Eliquis after I was released.  The DVT is pretty large, extending from my knee down to my ankle.  I have not idea how long the DVT has been there, as I have been experiencing extreme shortness of breath for over a year now, but with not pain from any of the clots.
    • Posted

Hi sorry to highjack your post, but just been diagnosed yesterday with DVT behind knee and upper thigh. At first they said as I had not been on a long flight it was maybe something sinister and I would need more tests to rule out the dreaded C word, which as you can imagine sent me into panic mode. He did not ask at first about HRT but when I said I had started this year went off and spoke to someone else who confirmed that if you are going to get a DVT it will be in the first 12 months, how unlucky am I, back to the hot sweats, but would rather them than more DVT's.  Take care

• Posted

You have all my sympathy. And it's not just the hot flashes although they are bad enough. My husband said I was moody too. Not as bad as PMS but still moody. I have a fan in every room that I spend any time in. I went from someone who was always cold to someone who was always hot. But you'll get through it. I asked my GP if it was okay to use the stuff from the health food store to help with the hot flashes and he said anything that actually helped would be unhealthy for me to use. So I never tried the estrogen lotions and creams or any of those types of things. And they now currently have antidepressants that are supposed to help with the hot flashes. I'm on anti-depressants already for depression and of course they didn't help me with hot flashes so I saw no point in trying something else. But you'll find your own ways of dealing with the hot flashes. Good luck and know that they too will pass eventually.

• Posted

Hi thanks for your reply, so far I have now had a full on flush yet and it has been 5 days, I am 57 so suffered for 7 years before I started HRT so you never know another year on I might be through it, I tried everything available before HRT and nothing works so just have to work through it.  Luckily enough I do not get too moody, although my husband and son may disagree. lol

• Posted

I think sometimes it just happens.  I had a massive DVT from the back of knee, extending up my thigh, through the groin and across my abdomen.  There was no specific cause they could find for it.  I was active, working which involved quite a bit of walking. Do not smoke which is a major cause.   I had a slight case of May Turner syndrome but they said nowhere never enough to cause a clot but they put in a stent as it could worsen.  I had recently been put on some anti anxiety pills as i was suffering after the loss of my mother which could have contributed but there was no cut and dried reason.  Because they could find no cause I am taking Apixaban for life (I am early sixties so it wont be that long lol). 
  • Posted

Oh my that's scary to think it went to your lungs. Your lucky to be alive.

• Posted

inside if our veins we have valves which prevent backflow of blood. The reason we have valves in veins is because veins are flacid.

Perhaps your leg veins valves were damaged way back. Sedentary life style is a contributor, injury (usually results in DVT within 2 years), medication.

• Posted

Hello Kenneth

This is my second round of PE/DVT diagnosed on 14th Nov 16.  6 weeks after ceasing a 6 month course of heparin.   It is possible that injuries can cause dvt's . If you ask whoever is treating you they will probably say they do not know either.   the only thing that seems everyone agrees on is IIMMOBILITY as the main cause.

Iv'e had quite a few tests to discover why & I put it down to inactivity after surgery

The best thing to do is follow the treatment plan, that suits you best, as some of the meds are worse than the symptoms. 

Now I am on Apixaban one of the new anticoagulant tablets.  Don't know if it's working too well at the moment, still struggling with breathlessness.  Next appointment is 5th Dec so I can ask then.  

That is the key really.  Writing down concerns & asking when you get there. I always have a massive list of questions.  Once you get them all answered then your mind can rest.

Sometimes they do not have all the answers.  Keep researching.

Hope you go on alright.

Christine

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.