Hairloss linked to iron deficiancy

Posted , 4 users are following.

Can my rapid hair loss be due to my anemia? I also have a fairly large fibroid that os being removed in about a week.

I have suffered with gradual hair thinning/loss for almost two years now, mainly aroubd the crown of my head. I am taking mainly supplememnts now and even started of haor and nail supp too.

Anyone else?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Yes it definitely is linked my hair comes out a lot when my ferritin levels are low. For optimum hair growth I was told you need ferritin levels of at least 75 mine went down to 9 and is still only 20.
    • Posted

Thank you, I believe I am in the 12 but I have to check and see next blood work I have soon. Do you take supplememts to help besides iron?
  • Posted

Hi I'm meant to take 3 x 210mg of ferrous sulphate daily but it makes me feel rubbish. I take spatone sachets not as strong but better than nothing. My hairdresser also applies a Kerritin treatment to my hair so it appears thicker.

• Posted

Good to know. I washed my hair yesterday and I lost about 20% more of hair and it looks very dry and brittle too.
    • Posted

Try a silica hair and nail complex. Or biotin. They have worked for me. But it does take 3 months to notice the new hairs growing through but worth it.

A thickening hair lotion that you spray before styling helps too. 

• Posted

Thank you. My hair is in clumps pf knots I have just been snipping them and it does not help. I also wear it in a bun when I am at work. Helps cover the thinning.
  • Posted

Ive lost 40% of my hair. Ive spent a FORTUNE on different supplements as recommended by a trichologist. Nothing other than Iron seems to work. I sympathise as its so distressing x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.