Itching in different spots after shingles rash healed

Posted , 20 users are following.

Hello everyone,

I am 29 and I have been diagnozed with zoster virus 4 weeks ago. I had a small rash on my lower back on the right side. It was itching and burning from time to time but the pain was not unbearable. I saw a dematologist few days later, and I was put on antivirus medication Acyclovir 800mg 5x, which I unfortunately started after one week of the rash appearing. Two more weeks and the rash started to heal and its now almost gone.

The problem: after 4 weeks of the intitial symptoms, I now have a terrible itching feeling in all of my body (especially in the face and head) far from the rash area used to be. Could it be a shingles recurrence happening so soon? Should I expect a rash appearing on my face? Should I rush back into Acyclovir to prevent this from happening?

The terrible itching feeling in the same area appeared suddenly without introduction after the rash on my lower back healed. I can also feel it a little bit in my arms and my feet. Its been going on for 3 days now, but no sign of new rash anywhere yet.

Please advise me what to do. I'm confused.

?Walter

3 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes, I would get ion the antivirals again ASAP. I suffer from recurring shingles, and at the first familiar symptom, I start my antivirals right away!! It sometimes eliminates progression, but definitely lessons severity and duration. Good luck!!
    • Posted

Hello, I am also a recurring sufferer and am suffering at the moment on face and head which is third recurrence after having it 13 weeks ago.  Do you keep ant virals at home all the time and have you had the vaccine? Thanks.  I also found it difficult to realise what it was this time but managed to get anti vitals in time.
    • Posted

I use to keep a full prescription bottle at home at all times. At the first sign (sometimes hard to tell) I would begin taking the antiviral. It definitely helps, but I got to the point where is did not want to just treat the symptoms, so I began looking into ways to cure it. I started a diet, supplement, exercise/meditation protocol which is working very well for me. The last time I started to feel symptoms, I did not take the antivirals and just lightened my schedule, and ate ALOT of healing foods and upped my supplement dosages. It did not progress, and I didn't take the antivirals!!! Wahoo!! I also use essential oils and accuouncture. Take care and rest, rest, rest!! 

• Posted

Thanks for response.  Do you mind telling me what supplements you take and what healing foods too.  My daughter suggested watercress which I am having but what else helps.  I would appreciate your advice.  I am not stressed or worrying about anything so don't know why this is happening?  I lost my sister early in July so know that is the reason for my last outbreak. Thanks for your time.

• Posted

Hi Walter. This happened to me and I was told it's PHN, (Post Herpetic Neuralgia). If it's bad you should go back to your GP, (family doctor,) and hopefully will be prescribed drugs for neuralgia. If any more rash appears, go back too. It can go on for some time and needs treatment to hopefully shorten this time. I'm sure Merry will come on and help if she sees your post, she's a nurse and sufferer so can be rlied on for good info. Best wishes, Poll rolleyes

• Posted

Hi Poll, thank you for your answer.

Isnt PHN supposed to happen in the same spot (or at least the surrounding area) where the rash happened?

The rash was on my lower back and now my face is itching. Isnt it a bit strange?

• Posted

I can't advise you but this happened to me too. Doc said it was PHN but that's still happening on the arm/shoulder/hand, right side where outbreak was. In hot weather I itch, have rash in scalp and upper body, like heat rash but worse and I've become allergic to polyester, nylon etc fabrics, can't wear then now. I have osteo arthritis in my spine and I believe the dermatones are exposed and irritated which caused the initial outbreak. I don't really have any answers other than this. Don't think the docs do either! Poll rolleyes

• Posted

I can certainly identify with the extreme itching. I have that as well & my dr prescribed a med to take for the itching. It is the only thing that stopped the itching which can dive us up a wall! 

I will PM the name of the med to you to give it a try.

Sorry  that you have shingles it's very difficult to cope with and takes a lot of energy to find docs that can help us.

I also had the vaccine for shingles after I had it which has lessoned the duration and severity of the rash. Bit it does not stop the itching.

I thought that soon they will lock me up in a padded room from the extreme itchy awful creepy crawly rash . Fornuately I found the RX for this and it stops the itch in it tracks. 

Mabe be it will help you. It's so annoying. There are no words.

• Posted

Hi Michelle, Yes of course . Hate the crazy itching. I'm sorry you have this too!

🐸??

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. Did your doctor explain the reason for the itching? And why is it happening all over the body? I understand is that shingles pain should be localized where the rash used to be ..
    • Posted

Hi there,

Can you please send me the name of the drug for itching also? I'm so desperate here. I've got itching all over my body. Thank you!

Michael 

• Posted

Hi There,

I use gold bond relief from pain & itching (bought at Walmart), a steroid FREE cream. It relieved all the itching and I was able to sleep. I think it is worth to try.

• Posted

HI there

Would you be able to share the anti-itch medication ?

I’m on my second recurrence on shingles and into the 9th week.  The rash is healing but I am suddenly so itchy not only over the rash but elsewhere too.....to the point I can’t sleep.

An advice as well on how to build my immunity because I’m also hit by chest infection and a cold that my body can’t seem to fight while I have shingles?

Much appreciated!!

• Posted

Can you PM me the Rx that you used for the itching after shingles too? I'm going on 3 weeks since diagnoses and have this itching around and by the rash area.. It's already scabbed over and the scabs are gone, I just have like a red mark where the shingles was. Not sure if that is normal after the scabbing..

Thank you,

Sue

• Posted

Rx pill for itching from shingles is HYDROXYZINE HCL 25-50 mg. 

t

• Posted

Hi if you dont mind also to pm what med to deal with the post itching thanks much smile 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.